Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Response, Battery Dead- Fixed Itself?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:03 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Default No Response, Battery Dead- Fixed Itself?

This may have been covered but I've been in and out of the forums over the past few months. Lots of new topics to sift through.

So this morning I got off work and went out to the truck to start it. I put my bag in the passenger side and when I opened the door the power running board deployed. I can't remember if any lights came on inside the truck. I went around to the drivers side and opened the door and no power running board deployment, nor were any lights on inside the truck.

I turned the key to start it and got absolutely nothing. Now, I had been up for 24 of the past 26 hours so I just tried again. And again. I sat there for a minute and actually asked myself if I was doing it right.

I popped the hood as if to prepare for a jump and prepared to remove the plastic cover from the positive terminal. As soon as I tapped the cover (something I always do before touching anything electrical) the parking lights came on as if I had the door open (I did). I assumed everything was normal again and it fired right up. Used the truck a few more times today running errands and never had a problem. Truck has 7100 miles on it. First and hopefully the last time experiencing that but I found it somewhat odd.

Weather wasn't a factor as it was probably 55 here this morning. I didn't leave anything on (dome light, etc.). It was just completely dead like there was no connection to the battery and then it was back again. All connections are tight.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Try cleaning the terminals/connections?
Old 12-24-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah that isn't a dead battery "fixing itself" I would guess that sounds more like terminals that weren't tight enough or snugged far enough down on the battery posts.

Dead batteries really don't just fix themselves and act fine for no reason after being dead.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Geist1911
Yeah that isn't a dead battery "fixing itself" I would guess that sounds more like terminals that weren't tight enough or snugged far enough down on the battery posts.

Dead batteries really don't just fix themselves and act fine for no reason after being dead.
I had same kind of symptoms with a broken battery post. I could actually pull the post out of the battery. Pushed it back down in and rapped it with a ball pein hammer, and the car started. Ran that way for a few months, until I could afford a new used battery. Tough times back then.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by friartuck
I had same kind of symptoms with a broken battery post. I could actually pull the post out of the battery. Pushed it back down in and rapped it with a ball pein hammer, and the car started. Ran that way for a few months, until I could afford a new used battery. Tough times back then.

Been there brother.

But yeah a battery that doesn't work and then suddenly does is usually more a sign of connectivity issues...first spot to look is the terminals and make sure they aren't broken (like in this example) or dirty / corroded, and to make sure that the terminal connections are tight and snugged down far as they can go.

If that isn't the issue then a lot of the times it can be a loose ground or wire which can be a real bear to diagnose. Electrical gremlins are the worst.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:46 PM
F250>F150

It looks like everything is tight. It's definitely clean. Terminals are sturdy. I went to see the new Star Wars movie today and on the way back from the movie I turned on the AC because it was 75 degrees here today. Everything lit up (Power/AC Light/Recirculator Light/Lights on the Fan dial and Temp dial) but no air. Fan wasn't blowing anything. As I was driving I turned it off and on a few times and finally it kicked on and all was well for the remaining 10 minutes of the drive.

No point in taking it in if there is no code and I can't duplicate the problem. I'll keep an eye on it but aside from that there is not much I can do.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

SSM 45421 - 2015 F-150 - MS-CAN Network Concerns - Built On/Or Before 6/26/2015

Some 2015 F-150 vehicles equipped with Multi-Contoured seats may exhibit various intermittent MS-CAN network related symptoms such as Blind Spot Indicator System (BLIS), Cross Traffic Alert (CTA), Rear Park Assist (RPA) warning indicators being illuminated and/or intermittent operation of the A/C and/or Power Running Boards (PRB). Inspect the Multi-Contoured Seat Module (SCMG) wiring harness for chafes or shorts due to contact with the drivers and/or passenger seat backrest frame. Repair or replace the wiring harness as needed, following normal Wiring and Workshop Manual procedures. If needed, the wiring harness retainer clips can be relocated on the seat frame to prevent excessive wiring harness movement and chafing.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 TRUCK: FC P552 F150
2015 TRUCK: 00029 F-SERIES LD

Last edited by tmcolegr; 12-25-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:29 PM
F250>F150

Is this applicable if I don't have Multi-Countoured seats? I believe those are the massaging seats and my lowly 302A XLT doesn't have them.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:32 PM

It sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere man. I'd get it looked at under warranty (of course be prepared for the "I couldn't duplicate the problem, it all worked fine" shpeel).
Old 12-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,359 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
Is this applicable if I don't have Multi-Countoured seats? I believe those are the massaging seats and my lowly 302A XLT doesn't have them.
Don't know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Response, Battery Dead- Fixed Itself?