Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Transponder Key

Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 PM

Received 3,521 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Default New Transponder Key

I have an XL truck with two switchblade keys.

Thanks to a tip I read here somewhere, I purchased a spare transponder key from Amazon for $23.95. I paid a locksmith to cut (copy) the new key for $25. I programed it with the following instructions with the two original switchblade keys.

PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS:
You must have two working programmed coded keys* (could be a combination of a flip key and transponder key or 2 flip keys); the new key needs to be cut by a locksmith or a dealer prior to performing this programming procedure.

1. Insert the first programmed coded key into the ignition

2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds

3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the second coded key into the ignition

5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds

6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition

7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition

8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds

9. Remove the newly programmed key from the ignition

*If you do not have 2 working programmed keys, you would need to get this key programmed by a locksmith or dealership

Now I have a third (plane Jane with no fob) key to hide on the exterior of the truck for emergencies.

This was too easy.

Here's the link to Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW6TH13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW6TH13/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following 3 users liked this post by SPOAT:
carrierj (01-16-2019), maddog1949 (10-05-2021), rbird2 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

When I bought my truck I was told, as a dealer courtesy, I would get the first two oil changes and I could ask for one spare key a year. I'm heading for my first oil change and you- know- what in a few weeks.
Really though thanks for passing it along. That is similar if not the same procedure I used to code a spare key for my Lincoln LS.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 860 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOAT
Now I have a third (plane Jane with no fob) key to hide on the exterior of the truck for emergencies.
Are you sure you want that key to be programmed to start the truck? If someone finds it, they could steal your truck, whereas an unprogrammed key would only let them inside the cab with no way to steal it. (Maybe hide another programmed key somewhere inside the truck.)

I had a key like that cut and programmed, but it was to take to the beach or anywhere that a fob might get wet and ruined.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 3,521 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorsports One
Are you sure you want that key to be programmed to start the truck? If someone finds it, they could steal your truck, whereas an unprogrammed key would only let them inside the cab with no way to steal it. (Maybe hide another programmed key somewhere inside the truck.)

I had a key like that cut and programmed, but it was to take to the beach or anywhere that a fob might get wet and ruined.
I understand your logic and appreciate your input. There are many options.

We have a lot of break-ins around here. A programed key in the cab is a risk.

My goal is to have quick access to a spare key so if something happens and I loose the fob, or accidently lock the fob inside the cab.

I can hide it beneath the truck where no one would ever find it, attached and secure. I could make a place for it in my boot, etc.

I may take your advice and get another key. Hate to spend another 50 bucks or so.

I noticed the info center now lists 3 admin keys. Does this mean my new key will act the same as the factory keys?

Last edited by SPOAT; 01-16-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 PM
Sod

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

You are lucky, this doesn’t work for 2018 trucks. I bought the same key as you and the dealer cut it for $10 but programming is no longer an owner option. Not a huge deal as it is hidden just in case I lock in my keys.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Received 860 Likes on 507 Posts

I can hide it beneath the truck where no one would ever find it, attached and secure.

I noticed the info center now lists 3 admin keys. Does this mean my new key will act the same as the factory keys?
I'm sure you could find a place inside the cab where no one would find the programmed key as well. I'd be worried if they were to somehow find the key outside the truck, the same key also lets them drive away with your truck. By the time they realize the key won't start the truck, they might not even think about looking for another key inside the truck.

I would think 3 admin keys means any 2 of the 3 can be used to program an extra one.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Yes. If it was cloned, you would see 2 keys. It's been programmed as an Admin key, so you see 3.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Sod
You are lucky, this doesn’t work for 2018 trucks. I bought the same key as you and the dealer cut it for $10 but programming is no longer an owner option. Not a huge deal as it is hidden just in case I lock in my keys.
Is that something new? The Manual on page 77 of my 2018 manual states that you can program up to six keys along with the procedure to do so.

Programming a Spare Integrated Keyhead Transmitter
Note: You can program a maximum of six coded keys to your vehicle. All six can be integrated keyhead transmitters.
You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitter or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure programs both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.
Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys.
You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. Contact an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.
8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds until you hear the door locks cycle.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. The key starts the engine if programming is successful.
You can operate the remote entry system if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter.
If programming was not successful, wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Sod

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by soaringfalcon
Is that something new? The Manual on page 77 of my 2018 manual states that you can program up to six keys along with the procedure to do so.

Programming a Spare Integrated Keyhead Transmitter
Note: You can program a maximum of six coded keys to your vehicle. All six can be integrated keyhead transmitters.
You can program your own integrated keyhead transmitter or standard SecuriLock coded keys to your vehicle. This procedure programs both the engine immobilizer keycode and the remote entry portion of the remote control to your vehicle.
Only use integrated keyhead transmitters or standard SecuriLock keys.
You must have two previously programmed coded keys and the new unprogrammed key readily accessible. Contact an authorized dealer to have the spare key programmed if two previously programmed coded keys are not available.
Read and understand the entire procedure before you begin.

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Switch the ignition off and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
6. Switch the ignition off and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of switching the ignition off and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key into the ignition.
8. Switch the ignition from off to on. Keep the ignition on for at least six seconds until you hear the door locks cycle.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. The key starts the engine if programming is successful.
You can operate the remote entry system if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter.
If programming was not successful, wait 20 seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 8. If you are still unsuccessful, take your vehicle to an authorized dealer.
Give it a try.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...amming-416343/

Last edited by Sod; 01-17-2019 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Is it Friday Yet?

Received 580 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Sod
So it looks like the option is just turned off and needs to be turned on via IDS. I'll have the dealer do it next time I have the truck in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Transponder Key