Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ford buyer 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ford buyer 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT question

Hello all. I have done a lot of research and looking through forums to see what kind of problems might arise with the new 2016 ford f150s. I am currently looking at the 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT supercab or supercrew two wheel drive. I have found some issues that arent deal breakers and nothing too serious besides the hard downshift but my question for you ford veterans, is there any SERIOUS problems with the 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT engines? I feel like they are more tried and tested than the ecoboost engines and cheaper to repair if anything goes wrong. i have heard some problems with the ecoboost but i have found far less information on the 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT. seems like everything is geared more towards the ecoboost these days. I will be towing boats occasionally on weekends but nothing over 3000 pounds. I am trying to educate myself on fords before i make the big purchase. (i am a chevy guy at heart but their new engines have vibration issues and i am not willing to take the risk of shedding out 25k+ to have issues with a new truck).

I will be test driving hopefully late next week as ive never driven the new 2016 fords. Thanks so much for reading and helping a fellow new buyer out. it is much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi!

3.5 NA trucks are a minority around here but from what I've read all of us that have them love them! No issues I've seen or read about so far. They get good mpg and get the job done just fine. I have a super crew with 3.55 gears and it drives and hauls great but I only haul\tow ~1000lbs tops and rather infrequently. Most of time it's used by my wife as DD, baby hauler and grocery getter. There are a few guys on here with 3.73 gears and from what I read they have no issues with 3k.

Find the "strictly 3.5 NA" thread on here and read up for more info.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

I had a 2015 XL with the 3.5 NA engine. I just traded it for a 2016 XLT with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. The 3.5 NA engine on start up had a "lifter or tappet" clicking sound for about 1 to 2 minutes when started cold. Took it to the dealer and they advised it was normal and that another XL with the 3.5 NA engine had the same noise. I don't know as I honestly believe them. I have had 2 Explorers and 1 Edge with the same 3.5 NA engine with no noise on cold start up.

Since they kept my XL overnight, they gave me an XLT with the 2.7 EB engine to drive. It is a rocket compared to the XL that I had. Talked to the wife and because of the Sirius XM radio, the carpet, the console shift with my sport package, the 2.7 EB awesome power, and the little other extras, we decided to trade. They gave me an excellent deal that I couldn't refuse.

Do yourself a favor, drive a XL or XLT with the 2.7L Ecoboost and get on it a little. After you are pushed back into the seat, you will be impressed!!! The 3.5 NA is missing low RPM torque in my opinion for a truck. Get the RPM's up and it will pull good. Just no comparison to the 2.7 EB engine's power.

Good luck in your decision what ever you decide to buy!

Phil
Old 07-05-2016, 10:05 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

I have to agree that you will love the torque of the EB. I had the 3.7L in a RCSB and it was a great engine, but I missed the low end torque, especially on inclines.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just make sure to get the tow package and 3.73 gears. My 16 3.5na is great. Pulled a 3600lb camper with 800lbs in the bed two weekends ago over some mountain passes and the little motor is perfect for that. Like has been said it likes to rev, but I got surprisingly good mileage towing.
The following users liked this post:
Harleybeech (08-08-2020)
Old 07-05-2016, 10:50 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

As seems common on this forum, folks make inquiries that would makes responses easier and more relevant if the geographical location of the OP were known, e.g. especially, are you a flatlander or typically drive at high elevations...huge difference relating to engine selection. What is the problem with identifying your location when joining the forum?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:32 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Mine is a 3.5 n/a rcsb 4x4. Power is fine for it, you'd probably think it was a V8 if you didn't know. I did drive a 4x4 cc 3.5 n/a and it was a bit slow but not horrible. I've had no problems with my engine and have not seen any problems with them at work, I work in Ford service.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
As seems common on this forum, folks make inquiries that would makes responses easier and more relevant if the geographical location of the OP were known, e.g. especially, are you a flatlander or typically drive at high elevations...huge difference relating to engine selection. What is the problem with identifying your location when joining the forum?

Instead of typing that long paragraph , it's easier to ask the op where they're from.

Where are from and what will you be towing ?

I have a 16' with the 2.7 Eco and love it. Right now with mixed driving 60% interstate / 40% city. The truck lies to me saying I'm averaging 20.4 mpg. If I hand calculate it's maybe 19.8 mpg.

Last edited by 2010stx4by4; 07-06-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:46 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I'd also be interested in the availability and trim selection of the 3.5L NA. Sales seem pretty equal between the 2.7/5.0/3.5EB but are drastically reduced with the 3.5NA. I'd think your pickings would be pretty slim unless you ordered. I could be wrong though.

As a 2.7 owner, I'd recommend it. As previously stated; plenty of power and great economy. Plus you have a few different trim/cab combinations to choose from on the lot.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010stx4by4
Instead of typing that long paragraph , it's easier to ask the op where they're from.

Where are from and what will you be towing ?

I have a 16' with the 2.7 Eco and love it. Right now with mixed driving 60% interstate / 40% city. The truck lies to me saying I'm averaging 20.4 mpg. If I hand calculate it's maybe 19.8 mpg.
First of all, Thanks to everyone for the helpful insight. This is my first big purchase and new from the dealership so i want to make sure i have all the facts and opinions before i go.

As for my location, I live in Orlando fl and i tow a 23 ft boat to go fishing a couple times a month. Along with the usual manual labor errands for working around the house but that's nothing any truck can't handle. I'm thinking about upgrading to a larger boat in a couple years but prob won't go anything above 5000 lbs

Quick Reply: New ford buyer 3.5L V6 Ti-VCT question