Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2015 XLT - Speedometer doesn't go to 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2015 XLT - Speedometer doesn't go to 0

Hi all, new to the forums. Just bought a 2015 XLT about a month ago. First truck I've ever owned and I absolutely love it!

This past Tuesday however I noticed while driving to work that speedometer never went to 0 when I stopped, either at a red light or after parking, cycling ignition. See pictures. This includes it actually being off from the speed as compared to the digital speedo.

I made an appointment to go to a dealership to get it checked out next Tuesday morning, however since then every day the thing gets closer and closer to 0. Now its at around 1mph.

I'd really hate to give up my new truck to a dealership for a day or so when it may have fixed itself. Think I should take it in anyway and show the pictures and have it looked at?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks pretty clear speedo is out of alignment by 5-6, also sounds like it's fixing itself
Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Give it a week or so, see what happens. Remember, you have 3yrs or a 36K mile warranty. Plus I don't believe it will cause any damage to truck.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Thanks for your input. That's what I was leaning towards too, especially since today its now at 0. WTF?!?!

Oh well, guess I'll wait for it to happen again.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update to this? I have the same issue and my truck is at the dealer for it as we speak. I have been tracking the same issue for over a month and it is very intermittent. I haven't been able to figure out how to repeat it either.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM

Mine ended up fixing itself over the course of a week. It started with about a 6mph difference and slowly got better each day. Since then it hasn't happened again.

I talk with one of my co-worker who used to develop instrument clusters for Ford and he said that when the vehicle shuts off, they would typically click the pointer down 10 clicks to ensure it was at 0. So that's why it may have been correcting itself over time. He didn't however give me any sort of reason as to how it happened in the first place. To this day I have no idea.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I've had my XLT Sport for a week. This morning I was heading to work getting up to speed on the highway looked down and the speedo said 160kmph... now I know the turbo is awesome, but its not that great... then I switched over to the digital readout and it was showing 40 kmph less (the proper speed)... It stayed +40 till i got to work and turned off the truck at which point it sat at 30kmph while off. After the drive home and a quick run to the store tonight its now only at +20. I'll see where it is after tomorrow and then it'll at least be a call to the dealership.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

This just happened to me about an hour ago. Ran to store, on way back I looked down and was like, wow i'm doing 80mph? in a 55...better slow down. And when I did I thought hmm...somethings not right here.

came to stoplight 19mph while standing still. turned off and removed key. Restarted and same. Made an appt.

I just did the sync update perhaps that introduced a glitch. Truck has been otherwise perfect. I have an appointment at dealer in a week and a half.

There's got to be some kind of trick to get it to recalibrate.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

just got home, shut off pickup and speedo adjusted down about 5mph. At that rate in 3 days it'll be normal again. lol. with all the computers in these things we have to expect some gremlins i guess. Notice how these things always fail in annoying ways. They seem to be engineered never to fail in ways that would benefit the owner. like lets say the odo might forget the last 1000 miles you put on. lol i know thats not fair to the next guy. just pointing out a difference.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Digitalwiz
just got home, shut off pickup and speedo adjusted down about 5mph. At that rate in 3 days it'll be normal again. lol. with all the computers in these things we have to expect some gremlins i guess. Notice how these things always fail in annoying ways. They seem to be engineered never to fail in ways that would benefit the owner. like lets say the odo might forget the last 1000 miles you put on. lol i know thats not fair to the next guy. just pointing out a difference.
You said "with all the computers in these things we have to expect some gremlins". Ford is a multinational billion dollar corporation, I wouldn't think we should expect any gremlins in our truck computers.

I don't see a line item on the MSRP listed as the computer gremlins discount, so I only expect what's paid for, and that's a premium high quality vehicle.

Quick Reply: New 2015 XLT - Speedometer doesn't go to 0