Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never Thought I Needed A Bed Cover...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Never Thought I Needed A Bed Cover...

I have always seen them on other trucks and never thought I would want or need one...

I need bed access at the drop of a hat, for firewood, downed trees etc., so a bed cover would just be in my way.

Then we got the '16 F150 with the 2.7 and I can't stop driving this thing.

Vacation time is fast approaching and gonna go to Kentucky, looking forward to the drive with the pickup and then I start thinking about the luggage and the room it'll take up in the back seat, usually we use the Bride's Escape for trips, and although the 2.0 Ecoboost in that runs like a scalded cat, the gas mileage aint what the 2.7 gets...

Then it hits me. A bed cover. That's why everybody has them. (I guess).

So I hit the internet for the best one to get, needs to be tri fold, come offf quick, go back on quick... gotta be a good one, read the reviews, "20 in a row love it, next guy hates everything about it, leaks, loose, broken, caught on fire going 70 on the interstate"... typical internet reviews.

I went with the Extang Solid Fold 2.0.

Looked at it in person, seems to be made well, looks like it'll do what I need it to do, and don't look half bad on the bed.

Got a whole new dimension of use outta my pickup's bed that I never gave much thought to before... if I needed to keep stuff outta sight I would use the Escape's storage, but I have to say, now I know why there are so many pickups running around with the bed covers.

This post may seem like a "DUH"! but I have always been the type of pickup owner who was like, nah, the pickup is just for work and hauling...

The '16 F150 is the first full size truck I have had in over 16 years, and I still am amazed at how sweet this thing is! Smooth, quiet, ...FAST!! and good gas mileage to boot!

Anyways, if you need a nice bed cover, the Extang 2.0 is a pretty good one IMO.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Should have a tried a nice roll up, can keep it open all the time until you actually need to cover something and gives full access to the bed with out needing to remove it.

After trying a roll up, the fold up ones seem archaic to me.

Edit: I do get that the hard cover folders will provide better security, but if someone wants my stuff no way i'm stopping them. Although i am intrigured by the aluminum rollups

Last edited by bleda2002; 09-12-2016 at 04:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tampastx (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

I spent the money on a Bakflip on my 2014.... I thought it was alot of money just for a bed cover, but now Im not sure why I owned a truck without one.

I got lucky and it was a straight swap from my 2014 to my 2016.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I really like my roll up. We do a New Orleans trip 2-3 times a year with another couple and the luggage stays dry back there. Been through some really heavy down pours too.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did look at the hard roll ups, and they are nice too, but went with the tri fold style.

No real reason for one over the other, both styles look to be very well made...
Old 09-12-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

I love my bed cover. I keep all kinds of things back there because the kids take up most the cab room. I can take it off in a few minutes if I need to.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 PM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Yup, the Extang 2.0 trifold is nice.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:12 PM

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm on my first real bed cover as well. I did make a plywood one for the Ranger I had in high school for a trip from NC to Canada. I like the fact that I can throw things in there that I would have normally had to secure. Beach chairs, umbrellas, ratchet straps, fishing gear... Really anything I would have worried about blowing out before. I ended up with a peragon cover.
The following users liked this post:
peragon (09-13-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts

I've never had, or wanted one before. When I bought my truck, the dealer had mistakenly installed one on my truck, and tried to sell it to me. I told them to take it off, I wasn't interested, and they offered to throw it in rather than remove it. Not sure of the make, it has a Ford label on it, it's a hard cover with 4 panels and the panel closest to the cab flips up against the back glass to give access to the entire bed. I don't know how I went all these years with a truck and never had a cover. I love mine
Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 also. Great for traveling as it turns the whole bed into a "trunk" and keeps that stuff secure and outta the cab. The roll ups are neat too but I didn't want to be mounting rails and I wanted something rigid.

Good choice on a bed cover but I am admittedly biased.

Quick Reply: Never Thought I Needed A Bed Cover...