Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating price on custom order

Old 12-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Negotiating price on custom order

I have always assumed that negotiating price on a custom order was about impossible. I have X plan as an option. Had a dealership sales man tell me that I have it backwards and that they are more willing to negotiate a custom order than a truck on the lot. He says it's because they always need more inventory and a custom order doesn't come out of their allotment. That doesn't make much sense to me because why pay more and not get exactly what you want? Just to get it that day?

Can anyone shed light on the facts here? Have zero faith on what the sales guy says, but always wanting to learn how things really work.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I did a special order on an 18 earlier this fall. I was indeed able to negotiate and in my opinion got as good or better of a deal than i would have got buying off the lot. My deal details are in the "tell us what you paid" thread.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Interesting. Sounds like this sales guy was correct. Stranger things have happened, just not that I have seen.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I was able to negotiate a great deal on a custom order, as well. I was able to get a better price on my ordered 2018 Lariat than what was offered on an in stock 2017 Lariat.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd think you should be able to get invoice either way, as a start. Unless you're talking raptor.

That said, it seems like they like to move vehicles on the lot (of course they want to be able to sell what they thought would sell when they ordered them). But a special order means that it's a guaranteed sell, and they don't have to sit on it for very long (if at all), so the dealership gets the entire benefit of the holdback. Plus, I believe the dealer gets a 1% kick-back for x-plan purchases (could be wrong here, but that was the case on my 2010).

I went x-plan on my 2010, and was about the easiest buying experience I've ever had.
X-plan pricing (good but not great), pre-negotiated dealer doc fees, and all available incentives at the time. Basically no hassle.

I don't think x-plan gives you the best price, but I still don't think it's a bad price. With all the options on these trucks, if you're willing to wait for it, ordering is the way to go in my book. And I don't think you should expect to get any less of a good deal on it.

Good luck, and post pix of the new rig when you get it!

Last edited by Fatmattyd; 12-18-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 145 Likes on 132 Posts

I was able to do $750 under invoice on my ordered 16 and got an above average trade value too.

It's a guaranteed sale, not trying anything up.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Since you're using X-Plan, there is no negotiating anyway...

And the salesperson is 100% correct.

And, a good dealership will lock in your incentives at time of order, and then give you the choice of those or at time of delivery, whichever is better.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

For me the key was to do the leg-work. I went to 4 different dealers and let them compete for my business. Once I got the price to a point where I figured it was about as low as it was going to get I then decided which dealership to go with based on whether I liked the salesman, what the dealership offered after purchase, etc. After choosing the dealer I was able to negotiate a little more off and then placed my order. I actually enjoyed the whole process. The 6 week wait wasn't as bad as I though it would be.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info. Last new Ford I bought was in 2000 and the Xplan was far better than what could be negotiated on the then new supercrew. I can do X plan based on Ford stock ownership but by no means am I locked into it. Did a nationwide search and not one inventory truck in the US comes even close to my build sheet. That was even after opening up to any color, any steps, any wheel/tire combo, and FX4 optional.

Now that I know I'll let them bid off my build sheet.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

kind of depends on the dealer. Its usually the opposite though, because when they order the truck, its not a sales credit until its actually delivered to you. (6 weeks from now)

So because they don't know, or often care, about projected sales, they simply want to push the ones they have so that they count for this months sales total. 6 weeks from now is a problem for future sales manager.

If its a large volume dealer, they usually dont care as much. Doesnt effect their numbers as much. It really doesn't make much sense that they would be super excited about a custom order, but if it works in your favor then seize the opportunity. You really should be paying the same price either way.

Also, its NOT a guaranteed sale. You can order one and back out once it comes in, for any reason. There's a slew of them on the ford website that were custom order 17s never sold. Sometimes people get tired of waiting, other times it comes in wrong, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Negotiating price on custom order