Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a tow hitch. OEM vs Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need a tow hitch. OEM vs Aftermarket?

I just bought a 2017 SCREW STX, and it didn't come with a hitch, so I'm looking at my options. I'd like to get a Class IV, in case I ever need to tow something heavy down the road (I just have a small utility trailer now).

Aftermarket, like Curt, looks to be the least expensive option. I've used Curt hitches on my past 3 vehicles (Subarus), and the powder coating seems to rust and peel off after 4 years or so. I'm not sure if this is a Curt problem, or just the way hitches are (being exposed to all the road salt/brine here in Ohio/PA).

The OEM hitch requires a couple brackets, washers, and nuts/bots, which adds to the cost. It also appears to be a little more work to install, since you have to remove the bumper, etc. Maybe it's not that much more involved. Any insight here? Also, how do the OEM hitches hold up to the elements?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 238 Likes on 170 Posts

I thought about adding the oem hitch...but rebuilding the bumper around the new sub frame so to speak and needing to get the plastic top without the hole for the ball in it helped me decide to just bolt on a curt. Mines been thru 2 winters up here and no issues yet
The following users liked this post:
Tyler L (10-03-2017)
Old 09-29-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Maybe you have to ask why the OEM hitch is so involved. Sounds like the Ford hitch more securely attached to the frame.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:47 PM
F150 Forum

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The 10K towing/12K weight distribution capacity of the Curt # C14017 Class IV receiver offers more capacity than you'll ever need, and a considerable savings compared to the OEM offering from Ford. Curt does an excellent job on the powder coat finish they use on their receiver hitches, but by virtue of where the hitch is installed, it's exposed to debris kicked up from the road. As with any hitch, you'll want to inspect it occasionally and touch up any spots where the finish has been scratched.

The hitch might attach to the vehicle differently than the OEM hitch, but the Curt offering must meet the same government testing that the OEM hitch does.

You can use the money you saved to buy more cool stuff for your truck!

For more information, use the link below:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-132.html
Tyler L (10-03-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I'm not worried about the integrity/capacity of the aftermarket hitches and attachment points, as I know they have to pass testing standards to achieve the published ratings.
Tyler L (10-03-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by etrailerTeam
The 10K towing/12K weight distribution capacity of the Curt # C14017 Class IV receiver offers more capacity than you'll ever need, and a considerable savings compared to the OEM offering from Ford. Curt does an excellent job on the powder coat finish they use on their receiver hitches, but by virtue of where the hitch is installed, it's exposed to debris kicked up from the road. As with any hitch, you'll want to inspect it occasionally and touch up any spots where the finish has been scratched.

The hitch might attach to the vehicle differently than the OEM hitch, but the Curt offering must meet the same government testing that the OEM hitch does.

You can use the money you saved to buy more cool stuff for your truck!

For more information, use the link below:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-132.html
First thing I said was "Wow, this guy seems to know his stuff when it comes to tow hitches" then I saw the username lol

Good info though, I'm also in the same boat. 2017 STX need to add a tow hitch so thanks for the info
Tyler L (10-03-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

The aftermarket hitches have a higher non WDH rating than OEM, which is fixed at 500/5000 pounds. Some go up to 1000 pounds non WDH.
Tyler L (10-03-2017)