Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinion and help on wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Need opinion and help on wheels and tires

Yes, another wheel/tire thread, sorry, but I can't make up my mind. Looking for input to help make up my mind! I have a tuxedo black Lariat super crew sport, and looking to change out wheels and get some bigger tires.

I have a couple of requirements:
- I want to keep suspension at stock height, no level. So I think this limits me to a 33" tire, which I'm fine with.
- I'm in Canada, so for wheels I need something winter approved, for salt season here. I will not be changing out wheels for winter and whatever setup I go with I will run year round. This really limits wheel choice.
- I have no need for and do not want heavy LT tires, so P rated tires only to keep the weight down. 3.31 gears in my truck and don't want to take a big hit to power and mpg's. So this also really limits my choices.

So, based on this I think I've narrowed it down to 2 possible choices.

Option #1:
GY Duratracs 275/60r20 on HD Grinder 20x9 +20 wheels. Wheels have been confirmed by the manufacturer that they are ok for winter use, and Duratracs are supposed to be good in the winter as well. I'd like to go wider on the tire (305/55), but the wheels only come in +20 so with that offset I think a 305 will rub with no level (if anyone can confirm otherwise, please let me know!). I like the Grinders because they're new, never seen them on a truck before, and not just straight black (they are "anthracite" with a black center cap). Sometimes all black wheels on a black truck is too much black.

Option #2:
Nitto G2 Terra Grapplers 305/55r20 on XD Monster 20x9 +35 wheels. I know everyone and their brother has these wheels, but they are winter approved, and come in an offset that I think will allow me to run the 305/55 tire size that I want at +35 (again, if anyone can confirm this, that would be great). And, even though everyone has them, I think it's still a great looking wheel. I would prefer the Duratracs over the G2's but the G2's are the only AT tire that I'm aware of that come in a P rated 305/55. This option would also be considerably more expensive with both wheels and tires costing quite a bit more.

So, opinions? Suggestions? What would you do?

What do you think would look best? Should I be concerned with rubbing with either of these setups?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd say option 1. I have had the LT Duratracs in the past and they were a good tire. I like the looks of the hd wheel, have not seen it before plus I also agree that everyone has the xd monsters.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Not considering price, I prefer #1. Price just makes it even more attractive.

I think it will fill up the wheel well a little more also, making it look even better.

Be sure and post a pic when you're done.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm kind of leaning towards option #1 as well. I was just kind of hoping for something wider than a 275. The 275/60 Duratracs (non-LT) look kind of skinny imo. But the only wider option in a non-LT is the G2 305/55, and pretty sure I won't be able to run that tire on a +20 offset and stock suspension (hence why I'm still considering the 305/55 on the +35 Monster wheels).

The 275/60 is the same width as the 275/55 stock tires, on a wheel that sticks out pretty much exactly 1" farther than the stock +44 offset wheels, so the whole tire is shifted 1" to the outside. One concern I have is how that's going to look from the front and rear of the truck. I'm not a fan of that offset look, especially from the rear where the tire is sticking out too far from the inside and doesn't line up with the mudflaps. I guess I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that! I know it's only 1", so not sure how noticeable that will be. If anyone has any pictures from the rear of the truck, with a 275/60 on a similar offset wheel, please share!

My only other concern with that setup is that it may still rub crash bars or mudflaps with stock suspension being that the tire will be 1" taller than stock and poke out 1" more than stock.

Thanks again. Keep the opinions coming...
Old 08-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

One thing you are forgetting about is the width of the wheel. if you truck comes with the 18s, they are only 7.5 wide. So while yest the offset is roughly and inch, you are also picking up 3/4" from the wheel width. The face of the wheel is actually moving out 1.75" which basically puts it flush with the fender.

Name:  0BE472F9-5EF8-413C-A609-C870401C5BF4_zps1ov3btvl.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  350.5 KB
Name:  EC4BB92E-1977-4771-B617-446E3E634EEC_zps4krehs3y.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  343.6 KB
Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the pics, that's helpful. I have the sport 20's currently, which are 8.5. So the wheel width difference is negligible I think at only a half inch. You wouldn't happen to have any shots of your truck from directly behind would you? To see how the offset looks. Your 275/60 on +18 is very similar to what I'm thinking of doing.

Truck looks great by the way, I like those wheels and they're what I originally wanted, but unfortunately they're not recommended for winter use.

Quick Reply: Need opinion and help on wheels and tires