Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Tires

Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Need New Tires

Hi All --

I have a 2015 F150 Plat with the factory tires wearing down. Had a nail in one yesterday and the shop suggested I replaced them in the next 5-10K miles (have 35K miles on the car right now).

Since I know nothing about tires, any recommendations out there? I don't do much off-road/towing but want good tires that'll last a while. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 105 Likes on 88 Posts

Michelin ltx ms2 if it’s a 2wd. Ltx at2 if it’s 4x4. Can’t go wrong with Michelin
The following users liked this post:
aspade (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Tires are like shoes. There is no "One tire" to make everyone happy.

For me, I am not looking for "Look at me" knobby sidewalls. I want a tire I can keep my family safe with in most all weather conditions I will see in the NW. Provide all the towing capacity we need and mileage supporters (Not ones that take away gas mileage or wear mileage).

Continental TerrainContact should do that trick... http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...t-22560r17-99h
The following 2 users liked this post by 5.0 Probie:
S14suspense (09-12-2018), UncleG (11-10-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0 Probie

For me, I am not looking for "Look at me" knobby sidewalls. I want a tire I can keep my family safe with in most all weather conditions I will see in the NW. Provide all the towing capacity we need and mileage supporters (Not ones that take away gas mileage or wear mileage).

Continental TerrainContact should do that trick... http://www.continentaltire.com/produ...t-22560r17-99h
I agree 100% with this statement! There are tons of tire threads on here about big tires, and from what I've seen most focus on looks.
I too am all about performance, ride quality and wear.

I stick with regular P rated tires and stick to same size as OEM - good all terrain 275-55-20 for summers - and 275-65-18 good all terrain for fall/winter.
I don't run a dedicated winter tire as I need an AT for hunting so I use General Grabber AT2 for fall winter in a P rating.
They provide excellent traction, wear great and give a great ride (better than 20s) as its a P rated tire.

My advice is go onto the bigger tire sales websites and look at the ratings for the various tires you're interested in. Most will allow you to enter your trucks info and provide you with all the tire options - then check out each individually.

The big tires of choice you will find on here are the BF Goodrich K02s and the Goodyear Duratrcs - both a heavy LT tire which don't ride very well, and will decrease fuel mileage.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dannofx4
I agree 100% with this statement! There are tons of tire threads on here about big tires, and from what I've seen most focus on looks.
I too am all about performance, ride quality and wear.

I stick with regular P rated tires and stick to same size as OEM - good all terrain 275-55-20 for summers - and 275-65-18 good all terrain for fall/winter.
I don't run a dedicated winter tire as I need an AT for hunting so I use General Grabber AT2 for fall winter in a P rating.
They provide excellent traction, wear great and give a great ride (better than 20s) as its a P rated tire.

My advice is go onto the bigger tire sales websites and look at the ratings for the various tires you're interested in. Most will allow you to enter your trucks info and provide you with all the tire options - then check out each individually.

The big tires of choice you will find on here are the BF Goodrich K02s and the Goodyear Duratrcs - both a heavy LT tire which don't ride very well, and will decrease fuel mileage.
I would agree with your assessment with the exception of ride quality from the KO2 which I went with on my 17, and yes I am one of the ones who went for ability and looks. I went from 20.45 mpg to 18.23 when I switched from the OEM P265/70R17 to LT285/70R17 E Rated. That being said, I find the ride with the KO2 to be plusher with about the same noise level as the Goodyears.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not get the "knobby" side walls AND the safety of an all terrain that is 5* rated in wet conditions too? Just put these Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on two days ago and they are sticky as h*ll in the wet... ride is barely affected and they're 285/75/17 so almost 35'' with ZERO rub on my 100% stock suspension. Falken FTW!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel mileage does change. I went from the stock "P" class 275/55R20 tires to the KO2's in the LT275/65R20 and lost about 2 mpg which is what I expected. Ride quality probably changed, but with the other upgrades I made I cannot give an honest opinion on how much the heavier tires changed the ride quality. Running the General Grabber ATX's in a LT265/70R17 (picked up a set of 2013 17" wheels with the TPMS on them... $150 for all 4 wheels and center covers) to run in the winter. I need the LT type due to the roads I run, too many bad experiences with the thinner "P" class tires from the rocks on the backwoods roads. Picked the General Grabber ATX due to my buddies tire shop having them leftover from someone who ordered them and never showed up. This will be the first winter with them so we'll see how they do.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:04 PM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

I had real good luck running Toyo AT2 on this truck. 42k miles, had to replace one the other day and compared to the others I’m thinking I can get another 10-15k safely on the other 3. They are one size larger but in P rating and only a couple pounds heavier that stock. They are really quiet and pretty decent in moderate mud.

Besides these I’ve had good luck with Michelin (LTX original, M/S2, and AT2). The M/S is a street tire but stands for ‘mud/snow’. I would go with the M/S Defender or M/S2 in factory size and rating. Good looking tire, I like the look of the M/S2 personally. I think they have a 75k mole tread warranty.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,665 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Originally Posted by HOSSzBOSS
Why not get the "knobby" side walls AND the safety of an all terrain that is 5* rated in wet conditions too? Just put these Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on two days ago and they are sticky as h*ll in the wet... ride is barely affected and they're 285/75/17 so almost 35'' with ZERO rub on my 100% stock suspension. Falken FTW!

Nice to know, I've got KO2s and am looking to change. Are you in the snow belt? My KO2s are great in the summer, even rain. Now it turned cold, it's like riding on banana peels. Worst winter tire I ever had!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0 Probie

Great timing, I’ve been researching tires and completely overlooked this one. Thanks!

This Continental comes in the elusive 285/60 R20 size, which is nice.
I wonder how it would compare, in performance, to the Michelin Defender? The defender is available in the same sizes as this one. I know the Defenders will last a long time and be one of the most fuel mileage friendly...but they look so plain.

These don’t look very aggressive, but at least have some off-roadish design on the sidewall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need New Tires