Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more Light when backing up with BLIS taillights

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need more Light when backing up with BLIS taillights

I had order replacement led bulbs but from looking more at my truck I do not think the lights are replaceable with the BLIS system in the tail lights. The issue is when reversing at night the amount f light projected behind the truck makes the backup camera almost useless. The screen is very grainy and I believe it is because of lack of light. If I replace the license plate and bed light will that give me enough light or do I need to supplemental lighting in order to improve this issue?

Has anyone else upgraded the lighting for the ruck in reverse. All the other tail lights it looks like you can replace the backup lights but the BLIS I think is a solid one piece system.

Also has anyone replaced the halogen headlights with he LED that would match more of the look of the taillights?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There are numerous posts where people added extra backup lighting. Yes, the camera is grainy due to lack of adequate lighting, so if you want more you need to brighten things up in the ways you suggested.

It also doesn't work great when covered with snow/slush from driving, or rain when raining.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLIS...adding extra lighting

Your are correct about your BLIS tail lights...they are a one piece system, you cant change any bulbs. Be very careful about adding extra electrical add-ons. The BCM is pretty much maxed out on available current for what the truck was scheduled for when built. Such as adding a stereo amp, KC Daylighters offroad lights,etc...stuff we used to add in previous years with no problem. Too much will burnout the BCM pretty quick.
You should be OK to add an LED to increase your reverse camera issue without damage, since an LED doesn't require much power. I would do a search for "White LED Module Aluminum Waterproof Marine/Car 9-14V 3W AC/DC 12V (Pack of 2)". I have these on my lawnmower and was surprised at the amount of light.
I would not entertain the idea of trying to convert to the LED headlights. The 2015 F150 is like a computer on wheels. There are alot more modules on this vehicle and software that goes with it when built...to be safe, order what you want...dont add it later.
Example: If you want to add a different stereo and its not designed to "Talk" to your your truck (software the modules understand)...its not gonna happen.

Quick Reply: Need more Light when backing up with BLIS taillights