Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help adjusting Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Need help adjusting Pro Trailer Backup Assist

I back my Airstream trailer just fine using my mirrors, but my little 6' utility trailer is complete invisible from the truck cab. (I have a topper on the bed and the wife wants to haul mulch and topsoil.) I activated the Pro Trailer Backup Assist for the utility trailer, and it works like gangbusters. It is slicker than snail snot! There is one little problem. If I turn loose of the steering ****, instead of going straight back, the trailer veers to the right, just a little. I figure that I need to adjust one of the measurements that I input into the truck, but I don't know which one. The measurements I input are A-12, B-16.5, C-42, and D-87. (A is license plate to center of ball. B is center of ball to center of decal. C is tailgate camera to center of decal. D is tailgate to center of trailer tire.)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Yeah it should be tracking straight back and never have the trailer veer left or right. I would double check your measurements to make sure they are right. More than likely it's either C or D, I would say but I'm no expert.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried resetting the trailer, Entering in your dimensions again, and then re-do the trailer calibration (driving straight/level until system tells you to stop)?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 391 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rliles1
I back my Airstream trailer just fine using my mirrors, but my little 6' utility trailer is complete invisible from the truck cab. (I have a topper on the bed and the wife wants to haul mulch and topsoil.) I activated the Pro Trailer Backup Assist for the utility trailer, and it works like gangbusters. It is slicker than snail snot! There is one little problem. If I turn loose of the steering ****, instead of going straight back, the trailer veers to the right, just a little. I figure that I need to adjust one of the measurements that I input into the truck, but I don't know which one. The measurements I input are A-12, B-16.5, C-42, and D-87. (A is license plate to center of ball. B is center of ball to center of decal. C is tailgate camera to center of decal. D is tailgate to center of trailer tire.)
Another thought, is the axle straight on the utility trailer?
Old 04-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kinny
Have you tried resetting the trailer, Entering in your dimensions again, and then re-do the trailer calibration (driving straight/level until system tells you to stop)?
No. I will do that after re-measuring the distances.

Originally Posted by Gordy49913
Another thought, is the axle straight on the utility trailer?
Heaven only knows. My wife inherited this trailer when her father died. The trailer is probably, quite literally, 50 years old. I rebuilt the trailer replacing all of the wood, replacing the lights and wiring, put new tires on it (they were 28 years old according to the date code), repacked the bearings, and repainted the frame, but I did not check the axle.

Quick Reply: Need help adjusting Pro Trailer Backup Assist