Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on tow package

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Need advice on tow package

I'm looking to build a 16 model Screw Lariat with the 2.7 EB. My boat and trailer fully loaded weigh around 3500 pounds. Do you see any need for me to spend the money on a tow package? It looks like the only thing I would get is a tranny cooler and upgraded sway bar as the oil cooler is not included on 2.7EB package from the way I read it. That doesn't seem to make sense for $900. Am I missing something or am I correct in thinking that I don't need the package for my application. No, I do not have plans to buy a bigger/heavier boat or tow any other type of trailers. also, as I keep my boat in a slip I will only tow it 6 to twelve times a year visiting other lakes in the area and for some routine maintenance.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by golfproatl
I'm looking to build a 16 model Screw Lariat with the 2.7 EB. My boat and trailer fully loaded weigh around 3500 pounds. Do you see any need for me to spend the money on a tow package? It looks like the only thing I would get is a tranny cooler and upgraded sway bar as the oil cooler is not included on 2.7EB package from the way I read it. That doesn't seem to make sense for $900. Am I missing something or am I correct in thinking that I don't need the package for my application. No, I do not have plans to buy a bigger/heavier boat or tow any other type of trailers. also, as I keep my boat in a slip I will only tow it 6 to twelve times a year visiting other lakes in the area and for some routine maintenance.

Thanks for your advice.

The only true downside that I can think of is resale value. I know when I am looking for new or used vehicles I always make sure to pull the window sticker to see what it has for options.

And I mean when you're talking 45 grand for a brand new truck whats $900? Especially since you'll certainly get the money back when you go to trade or sell outright
The following 2 users liked this post by kwalt21:
13. (09-11-2015), golfproatl (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

You will be fine. As has been pointed out before, you may wish to consider resale. Does it truly cost you anything if you recoup your investment later? Even if it is not 100%, you will likely sell easier and get more on that sale/trade.

Originally Posted by golfproatl

Thanks for your advice.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I think you would be fine with just the class IV hitch add on. I would still make sure that you still have all the hookups for your lights and everything though without the trailer package just to be on the safe side.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Senior

Received 119 Likes on 112 Posts

I think you are correct. I think the package is for towing 5000lbs or higher at 3500 you should only need hitch/wiring harness IMHO
Old 09-10-2015, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to be sure I was not missing something. Seems like they would charge less for the tow package on a 2.7 since you are not getting the oil cooler. Couldn't I add a trans cooler for way less than $900 down the road? Why do you think that Ford does not include the oil cooler in the tow package for the 2.7 EB ??
Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a somewhat similar situation for towing needs. I didn't get the tow package, but I did find it was worth getting the factory installed hitch. The Class IV hitch is technically a tow package so it includes the smart trailer connection and makes it possible to install the oem trailer brake controller at a later time.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I am just surprised that you wont spend an extra $900 to make sure you don't kick yourself in the but later. What if you decide to upgrade the boat? What if one day you need to tow something bigger. Does not make sense when you are already spending $45k plus. Just a thought!! Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your truck!!
Old 09-10-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar situation, but my boat is 4500 and I tow it even less than you do. I was going to order the 2.7 with no tow package, but in the end I went with the 3.5 and got the tow package only so I could get the tow mirrors (test drove a truck with them and fell in love). I'm still confident if money was an issue I could do 2.7 with no tow package and yank that 4500lbs out of the water no problem.
The following users liked this post:
golfproatl (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by GameHunter63
I am just surprised that you wont spend an extra $900 to make sure you don't kick yourself in the but later. What if you decide to upgrade the boat? What if one day you need to tow something bigger. Does not make sense when you are already spending $45k plus. Just a thought!! Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy your truck!!
Yeah, that's why I am asking peoples advice. Your point is well taken and I understand it. Just doing my DD and wanted to be sure that with my current needs that the included class IV hitch and harness would work. I can't have every option so if I don't need this one that leaves me more $ for another.

Quick Reply: Need advice on tow package