Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SYNC3 crashes everyday every hour.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My SYNC3 crashes everyday every hour.

Hi. I have a 2016 XLT 302A with nav and SYNC3.
Bought it in May of this year.

It took about 2 weeks of driving for my sync3 to crash and reboot itself for the very first time. And then it started happening more often.

And now it does that everytime I drive. Like really often. On the way to work. On the way home. To grocery stores etc.

Do I need to go to the dealer and get an update?
Old 09-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Have you tried a Master Reset? https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html

There is likely no update that the dealer has for you.
The following users liked this post:
F150kang (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Have you tried a Master Reset? https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...ter-reset.html

There is likely no update that the dealer has for you.
Oh I didn't even know there was a master reset.
Maybe I should try this.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F150kang

It took about 2 weeks of driving for my sync3 to crash and reboot itself for the very first time. And then it started happening more often.

And now it does that everytime I drive. Like really often. On the way to work. On the way home. To grocery stores etc.

This is scary for me... I had a 2012 explorer with nav and the original sync system and it was a disaster. Every time it tried to auto update, it locked up and the screen turned black for days or sometimes even a week or more before my husband figured out how to do a hard reset that made it boot back up immediately.

We're signing papers on an f-150 today that has sync 3, and the last thing I want is to run into the same problems again down the road :/
Old 09-19-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Sync 3 is the,first Sync with auto update over WiFi, and there are no updates yet. Prior versions did not auto update, you had to download to a thumb drive and do it.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:38 PM

I haven't had any issues with mine since I purchased my '16 Platinum about a month ago. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way. I do have my truck connected to my home wifi so it should update when needed.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Sync 3 is the,first Sync with auto update over WiFi, and there are no updates yet. Prior versions did not auto update, you had to download to a thumb drive and do it.
It would say "scheduled system update", freeze on the ford logo, and then went black.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:02 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Oh I didn't even know there was a master reset.
Maybe I should try this.

Hi F150kang,

Before trying a master reset, I suggest performing a system reset. This reset is intended to restore functionality without deleting previously stored info. Just press and hold both the SEEK UP and the POWER buttons. After approximately 5 seconds the screen will go black. Allow 1-2 minutes for the system reset to complete.

Originally Posted by MarylandDave
I haven't had any issues with mine since I purchased my '16 Platinum about a month ago. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way. I do have my truck connected to my home wifi so it should update when needed.
MarylandDave,

Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Taytortot88
It would say "scheduled system update", freeze on the ford logo, and then went black.
Taytortot88,

Ricktwuhk is correct. SYNC 3 is the first system to update automatically and over Wi-Fi. It sounds like your system rebooted itself.

Shaay
Schmidbc (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My sync 3 started doing the same thing - I took it to 3 dealers before they figured it out. I ended up getting a new module, and they installed the latest version of software, and they had me out the door in an hour - with the problem corrected. Now we sit and wait for carplay.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Take it to the dealer, I have also been having this problem and have done all kind of test and the tech has talked to the hot line several times. If it does it again do a reset right after and keep an eye on what happens after the reset. Depending on what is does after the reset will give the dealer an idea of where the problem exist.
BoozeDaily (09-19-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My SYNC3 crashes everyday every hour.