Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my suspension special. First post.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is my suspension special. First post.

Hello all. This is my 1st post here to the forums.

So I have a 2017 super crew 2.7 STX. It has the 6600 pound weight package. I bought it certified in 2020 with 19K on it, it now has just under 45K. To me the ride quality has been declining and I'm looking to put in new shocks. Since I'm not a fan of heights I was thinking about lowering it. Which is where my dilemma comes in.

The suspension is stock in the front, has the block removed in the rear with bilstein 4600 shocks. I've read many posts on here of people removing their blocks as well as on other forums and this norm seems to be a 1.5" rake after removing the block. My truck however has a 1/2 to 3/4 inch rake after removing the block. I guess my 1st question is, is my suspension special? The only thing in the bed is a wooden frame I built to keep sand bags in the Winter Between the wheel Wells. I would like the entire truck to go down another 1.5". I was thinking about using either 2 wheel drive shocks up front or the belltech adjustable lowering shocks. In the rear I figured a shackle with pinion shim would be sufficient.

My biggest concern here is that I am going to end up with a negative rthe negative rake and absolutely do not want that period period I would in fact like to have somewhere around 3/4-1" of rake when done. Does anybody have experience with the belltech struts? It seems to be that the numbers given on lowering parts for our trucks are not real world numbers. If I did the adjustable struts I was thinking I would set them at 1.5 or 2" of drop and then put a 1.5" lowering shackle in the back back but don't know where that will actually leave me. Sorry if this got long winded and doesn't make a whole lot of sense but hopefully I'll get some answers that will point me in a better direction. I currently feel like I'm spinning in circles trying to decide.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:54 PM

Received 637 Likes on 332 Posts

Every truck will be a little different depending on model, cab, options etc. I dont think yours will have anything special unless you see something obvious that a previous owner might have done. I had a similar dilemma and initially just did the block removal and then 1" shackle in back. The truck ended up pretty darn level but from some angles looked like it had reverse rake (which i hated). Put on 2wd front bilsteins with a 0.5" spacer, but even that was a little to much so took the spacer out which i think gives me just about 1" of rake.

Here's a picture of current - 2wd 4600s up front, removed block and Maxtrac 1" lowering shackles (also has Firestone airbags which may influence rear height just a tad):

Old 07-13-2022, 01:58 AM

.How much did the 2wd 4600s lower the front? Had to edit this after reading what you were saying on the thread about not using the collar over the snap ring. Did you put it on or leave it out?

Last edited by That_Stx_guy; 07-13-2022 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by That_Stx_guy
.How much did the 2wd 4600s lower the front? Had to edit this after reading what you were saying on the thread about not using the collar over the snap ring. Did you put it on or leave it out?
I didnt take actual measurements, but feel the drop was about 1" from the factory 4wd shocks. I used the collar on mine as I had measured the actual shock length differences off the truck (which showed about an inch difference there, so who knows why i didnt get slightly more out of it when installed).
Old 07-13-2022, 02:25 PM

After doing much reading last night, it sounds like I dont want the Belltech Shocks. From what I saw on the lowering section if I want a true 2" up front the MaxTrac spindles seem to be the way to go. But a flip kit is out of the question. I'd be way to low in back since im about as level as you can get right now just from removing the blocks. I dont know if you can buy just the spindles and not a whole kit? Im getting to the point where im just going to get oem 2wd fronts and take the 1.5" drop and deal! Ive had many lowered vehicles in my day including a Ranger with full air that laid frame but this 4x4 stuff is difficult. The main goal from all of this was better ride quality and lowering some was a bonus.
The following users liked this post:
Bowers86 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 09:07 PM

Yeah that was my consensus as well. I had a lowered Tacoma before, but kinda missed having enough clearance for typical daily duties and general rowdiness. I think the 2wd shock swap with a possible rear lowering shackle is a pretty good compromise, but yeah takes some fine tuning depending on what you're looking for. I suggest Bilsteins regardless of what you do. I think Ford Performance also sells a lowering spring which could theoretically be paired with the front shock to go a bit lower still, but might run into geometry issues (front Bilstein 5100s are adjustable though, so could get those and fine tune up a little bit if that's the case).
Old 07-13-2022, 11:56 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Just about any changes done to the suspension of an F150, has already been done. Mfg's don't produce hundreds of suspension parts, they produce at least thousands, and there are at least a handful of other mfg's producing the same part. Whatever you've done, unless you made the part yourself, it's likely that at least tens of thousands of other F150's have the same mod part.

Quick Reply: Is my suspension special. First post.