Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F150 was in an accident

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My F150 was in an accident

I'm Chance I live in Colorado and last night driving home from work I got rear ended on the interstate. The traffic came to a stop. I was sitting there for a second or two and then wham. It pushed me forward into a rav4 and pushed the rav4 into a Honda Accord. So a total of 4 cars in the wreck. The two cars in front of me were drivable. I believe my frame is bent. What I'm curious about is it repairable with that kind of damage or is it a total loss? Thanks in advance for any help!

Popular Reply

10-29-2017, 07:30 AM
ZeroTX

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

There's a lot of general ignorance or perhaps simple misinformation or outdated information on every single internet forum I'm on with regard to collision damage and what is "totaled."

a) frame damage does NOT "total out" a vehicle simply for being frame damage. Period.
b) the rear frame section on these trucks can be replaced with new Ford rails, which are sold specifically to fix rear-end collision damage.
c) What "totals" a vehicle is a cost of repair to vehicle retail value equation. That equation varies from one insurance company to another. Some 70% some 80%, some 100%. Meaning, if your company (such as Nationwide) requires a 100% equation, then what it means is that the repair cost would need to come up to the full retail value of the truck before it would be "totaled." Otherwise, YES, THEY WILL FIX IT... Yes, if your truck is worth $30,000 and the repairs are $27,500, they may very well fix it, depending on your insurance's policies
d) Last and finally, YES, there's a good chance THIS truck is totaled, but not because "it has frame damage." Rather, because of the number of areas to be addressed for repair... you have the rear frame, the entire bed, tailgate, bumper, the rear portion of the cab, and the front end damage. If the airbags deployed (kinda doubt it, but if they did), that adds another repair cost item. Add them up with parts and labor and you'll very likely hit that magic number with your insurance.

But please, for the love of all that is good and automotive, PLEASE stop telling people that their car is "totaled" because of "frame damage." This happens even more on unibody vehicles, where everyone assumes any "frame" damage totals, and it DOES NOT. One of the most important and well-used machines in any body shop is a FRAME RACK.... they bolt vehicles down to the frame rack and pull things back into shape with high powered hydraulic rams. They're computer controlled and laser measured (if it's a good shop), and they will pull things back into the factory specs in most repairs. Furthermore, if a smaller section of frame is beyond repair, EVEN ON A UNIBODY, the manufacturers (including Ford) sell various parts of the unibody frame and body shops ROUTINELY torch out the wrecked section and weld in new parts.

This ends today's education lesson on why frame damage doesn't mean your vehicle is totaled.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Good to hear th at you're ok. Please make sure you get checked out for any injuries. It's probably totaled .
Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 3,521 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Dang, sorry that it happened.

Glad that you are okay.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Delz
Good to hear th at you're ok. Please make sure you get checked out for any injuries. It's probably totaled .
Thanks. I'm grateful no one was really hurt.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 225 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by delz
good to hear th at you're ok. Please make sure you get checked out for any injuries. It's probably totaled .
totaled!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by SPOAT
Dang, sorry that it happened.

Glad that you are okay.
Thanks!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tom HAYDEN
totaled!

At this point I kind of hope so. I just don't want a messed up repaired brand new truck. That was my dream truck for a while.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

You're getting a new truck. If the frame is bent like that, they won't mess with it.

Glad you're OK, but sorry for your truck!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 184 Likes on 96 Posts

im sorry for your loss
Old 10-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

It's totaled.

Glad you're ok.