Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)

Old 06-20-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)

So it has been a while since I've actually done a build thread, but I thought it would be pretty cool to post my build here. A little backstory, I had a completely built Mustang and with the 2nd kid on the way, it was time to say goodbye to her and get something more practical. Much like most people on here, driving stock is just no fun. Here are a couple shots of the Mustang just for ****s and giggles:

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-tpxdg8t.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-rtpvdya.jpg

The car made 720hp and with a cage and 2 race seats in it, it just wasn't practical. I ended up selling it to a good buddy of mine so I still get to see it all the time, which is nice.

Right after selling the last car, I decided I wanted to try out owning a truck. A couple good buddies of mine have Raptors, and after a few off roading trips, I was sold. Of course, buying a Raptor to me personally was just no fun. I wanted to build something that could keep up with a Raptor, but built the way I wanted it. I hit my local dealers and told them I wanted a certified pre-owned truck, and my only must haves were the 5.0 and 4wd. I literally didn't care about anything else. So I ended up picking up a 2016 with basically no options and got an incredible deal on it.

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-btmqhtn.jpg

I immediately started modding it doing the typical mods you guys have seen on this very forum all the time. I picked up a center console and got rid of the jump seat, purchased the Sync 3 with nav setup (HUGE thanks to TexasFording and Lucas888 for their help there), picked up some black seat covers to replace the ugly grey seat covers my truck came with, installed a leveling kit to prepare for the bigger tires that are on their way, and swapped out the grille to a Sport grille. I also did a complete JL Audio sound system with 2 10" shallow mount subs under the rear seat. I also installed a Raptor wheel with working paddle shifters (thanks a TON to everyone for their posts in the Raptor wheel thread). I also installed a Magnaflow catback, then immediately cut the tips off because I didn't like the way it looked, but I may be welding them back on now. haha

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-l38ho1y.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-xqh1xfa.jpg
The following users liked this post:
lucas8888 (06-30-2017)

Popular Reply

06-30-2017, 09:53 AM
UNBROKEN
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I wish there was more of this on this site and less crying about swollen lug nuts and leaking sunroofs.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM

I then made a call over to Whipple, and ordered the 2.9 kit for the truck. I also went with the 132mm throttle body. The plan is to install the kit this weekend, which I'm really looking forward to. The Whipple kit is absolutely insane, so the truck should be a ton more fun to drive now.

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-6mlhylu.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-1zjiuh2.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-pkszhur.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-qp8oi1y.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-rhb8w13.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-kwdklbd.jpg
Old 06-20-2017, 11:53 PM

I work full time at an engineering firm where I manage the machine shop, and I do all the programming there. On the side, however, I design and engineer wheels for Aristo Forged. It's a pretty fun gig and I don't have to do it full time, although we sell enough wheels to keep me pretty busy. We mostly do 3-piece, 2-piece and Forged monoblocks, however I knew I was going to want to do something special for the truck. I was able to secure forgings for a 17x8.5 beadlock, and designed a nice beefy wheel that will be a one-off wheel. We have no plans to make any more of these as the price is pretty steep, but of course if there is interest, we can make more. I designed about 20 different designs, all with their own levels of craziness, before deciding I was overthinking it and decided one a nice clean simple wheel. There is a left and right, so of course running a spare can get interesting. Anyways, the wheels are at the finisher right now and should be done later this week. I will then be figuring out which tires to run, more about that in a bit. The wheels are a brushed with a candy red finish to top it off. The beadlock rings will just be black. Here are some shots of it from when I designed it in Solidworks, through to the machining process.

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-macbaxc.png
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-3wjwyve.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-ubkh2b3.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-zibmvor.jpg

Suspension, this is an area I have changed my mind on about 400 times already. I have a friend that works for Icon, and was offered a really good price on their Stage 5 kit. For a while, that was the front runner. Then I got a wild hair up my *** and really wanted to run a BDS 4" lift with the Fox upgrade. However, then I was presented an opportunity to buy an entire Raptor suspension setup off a brand new truck that is being built into a pretty crazy machine. I am still ironing out the details on that, but as of right now I really am interested in going that route. This would include front upper and lower arms with the Fox 3.0's, and the rear leaf springs with the rear Fox shocks. Of course, that means I will need front fenders, and will need to purchase extended front axle shafts, but that's not too much to ask. I haven't seen anyone else do this swap yet, and I am by no means trying to say I'm the first one, I just don't know if I will run into any other issues. Of course, this also means I may end up widening the rear end, and while I'm at it, re-gear the truck (this will be done regardless to help with the Whipple), while also installing a rear LSD, and would then have to install new bedsides as well. This would also allow to me the option of running 37's. Of course, this option would cost the most, but I love the idea of doing something a little different, not to mention the Raptor suspension is incredible! Stay tuned on this, as I have to make a decision pretty soon because the wheels will be done any day, and I need to order the tires for them.

So that pretty much brings us to where I'm at right now. I decided to start this post off a little long-winded, and Ill update this as I make progress. I will most likely be installing the Whipple this weekend, so Ill have some pictures and videos of that.

The goal of this build was pretty much just to build a really cool truck. I'm not trying to build a "Raptor beater" per se, but I kind of wanted to build my own version of what I wish Ford would have done with the Gen2. I'm essentially wanting this to be a truck that will quench the thirst of my want of a Raptor, and then some. There is something about the sound of the Gen2 Raptors that doesn't sit right with me, and the sound of a screaming supercharged V8, with the suspension of a Raptor, while still keeping the price tag well under the cost of a new Raptor, is my mission. Sure, I won't have all the bells and whistles that Raptor comes with, and I'm ok with that. There is also no question that the new Raptors can be tuned to make a ton of power and torque, but this just comes down to personal preference. I thoroughly enjoy the journey of taking something boring, and making it exciting. Its the same theory I had with my Mustang. Why buy a GT500, when I can build a GT and have way more fun along the way? It all comes down to personal preference.

To you Raptor owners reading this, rest assured I am not trying to disrespect your truck. It is an incredible machine and you should be proud of it. But when I drove one, and smashed the right pedal, the sound that emitted from the exhuast just crushed my soul. Call me old fashioned, but I will always prefer the sound of a mean, supercharged, terrible on gas, annoyingly loud V8. The only point that has been made that I can agree with is small displacement, turbo-charged, fuel efficient motors are the way of the future, but if I ever cared about fuel economy, I would have never called Whipple to begin with.

Last edited by rad_rob; 06-20-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:57 PM

Oh yeah, I also started working on some fender badges. I make custom badges on the side and do a lot of SEMA cars every year, so I figured it was only fit to make some for my truck. I will be replacing the plate that says "XLT" and installing these. (The F-150 was only for reference)

My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-fw6mchj.jpg
My build thread (Whipple, Forged Beadlocks, Raptor Suspension, etc.)-ffby5ad.jpg
Old 06-21-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

very cool build plan. I'm looking forward to watching this unfold. Do you have an instagram account?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by bergsnj
very cool build plan. I'm looking forward to watching this unfold. Do you have an instagram account?
Sure do, it's @rad_rob. I stay pretty active there so there are a few photos on there I didn't post here plus tons of the old car lol
Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 AM
2016 Lariat 5.0

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Awsome! Just Awesome! If you do decide to go the route of the Raptor suspension I will be reading every detail (and might ask some questions). That is a compelling route to me considering all of the good things that have been said about how well the Raptors ride.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:41 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

Whipple and those custom designed wheels are going to look awesome.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jstrain14
Awsome! Just Awesome! If you do decide to go the route of the Raptor suspension I will be reading every detail (and might ask some questions). That is a compelling route to me considering all of the good things that have been said about how well the Raptors ride.
Yeah they really do drive incredibly well. If it works out I'll be posting all the details in here on how to make it happen so rest assured if I go that route you'll see it all in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Apples (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished product! I'd be interested in more details on your JL sound system. I'm getting ready to upgrade mine. Also, do you sell custom badges? If so, where?

Search this Thread