Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2017 3.5 EB needs replaced (at 11k miles)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2017 3.5 EB needs replaced (at 11k miles)

Hey y’all,

Wish I had better news to share with y’all as an introduction post, but unfortunately that ain’t how the dice rolled. First off my name is David, and I’m coming to y’all all the way down here in Texas. It’s nice to meet y’all and I hope everyone is having a good Holliday season!

I bought my 2017 King Ranch with the 3.5 Ecoboost engine in May of last year. Since that time it has earned its 11,000 mile badge. Now straightaway after buying this dern thing, I noticed it made a lot of noises. Tickin from the HPFP, rattling on start ups, and most notably a knocking sound on the passenger side of the truck near the middle of the engine. I then had issues with the truck blowing blue smoke out the smoke pipe about 5000 miles in, when the knocking was gettin louder and louder. Took it to the dealer.....”can’t duplicate blue smoke, knocking is typical of the EB engine”. During this time, also having horrible shifts with that dadgum 10 speed, I swear it could shake a rattler off a snakes tail cause it down shifts so hard when it’s in “sport” mode.
Well, right about time I get my 11,000 mile badge, the knocking gets worse.....knocking speeds up with acceleration and you can hear it plum through the firewall all the way in to the cab. Now she hesitates with throttle input, almost as if timing is being pulled....and doesn’t have the same power....well she’s now sit for 36 days at the dealer and today an “engineer was flown in” to look at it and another other truck. Engineer says he recommends Ford replace the engine, so now the dealer has to get approval from Ford to replace the dern thing. I love the torque from these turbos but I sure as heck keep kickin myself for not getting the 5.0. Now I reckon most of these EB trucks are just fine, but this has sure put a sour taste in my mouth after spending nearly 70k. Now, I ain’t no country bumpkin...I may sound like one (heh) but I’m a successful businessman....and one thing I’m trying to gather is weather to accept a repair and replace job from Ford, or attempt to recoup my loses (and there have been losses) under Texas lemon law. The purpose of this post isn’t to really look for too much help or advice...I can search for that. But I’ll take any experience anyone has ever had in dealin with Ford with these kinda issues. Should I take the “cowboy handshake is as good as word” approach or should I seek help from an attorney at this point? Is it too early? Give them the chance to make it right before going lemon route? Even if fixed, should I ask for some sorta help (with monetary/value loses)? I’ve already got Ford NA on it and in touch with the dealer....I reckon that’s who sent the smarty pants engineer. Just wanted to share my story with all y’all, and will be updating as thing progress. Is it true the whole cab comes off the truck to replace these engines? Aren’t they in back order? I assume it will come with a new warranty? So many dadgum questions......I’m just frustrated y’all. And yeah those 1200 sheets of green backs leaving my wallet every month are cryin cause I’m paying for a broke machine.

Anyhow, nice to meet you guys. And hope all y’all are doing good. Happy Hollidays and for you heathens, Merry Christmas!

Last edited by CowboyOverYonder; 12-18-2018 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 985 Likes on 665 Posts

Sorry you have had problems with a fairly new truck. Check your state`s lemon law, but I think Ford has the right to fix the truck, unless you have had it in for repair for the same problem (insert your state`s number of times). I also think that your warranty will continue uninterrupted after the engine replacement.Welcome to the site.

Oh Yeah, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Texas Lemon Law is quite clear. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

If they gave you a comparable loaner, you have no claim.
The following users liked this post:
CowboyOverYonder (12-18-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Texas Lemon Law is quite clear. https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

If they gave you a comparable loaner, you have no claim.
I got a loaner but through my insurance, so I don’t think that will count. As far as the law is concerned, it is fairly clear on what constitutes as eligibility to file a claim. However, after the claim is filed....it gets murkier. First a panel reviews it and then sends it to arbitration, if the parties don’t agree you attend a hearing where you prove the defects, and if ford finally says they don’t agree with the hearings findings they can file an appeal with the district court...same with myself. That’s what lawyers are for, and I’ll retain one should I need to. That being sad, anyone have a lawyer they’ve used to represent them in a lemon case against ford that they’d recommend

Do y’all know how long it takes to get one of these engines replaced? I hear they have to remove the entire cab.. doesn’t that potentially put me at risk for further problems? Thanks for y’alls input. I ain’t here to complain, just pick some community brain.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by CowboyOverYonder

I got a loaner but through my insurance, so I don’t think that will count. As far as the law is concerned, it is fairly clear on what constitutes as eligibility to file a claim. However, after the claim is filed....it gets murkier. First a panel reviews it and then sends it to arbitration, if the parties don’t agree you attend a hearing where you prove the defects, and if ford finally says they don’t agree with the hearings findings they can file an appeal with the district court...same with myself. That’s what lawyers are for, and I’ll retain one should I need to. That being sad, anyone have a lawyer they’ve used to represent them in a lemon case against ford that they’d recommend

Do y’all know how long it takes to get one of these engines replaced? I hear they have to remove the entire cab.. doesn’t that potentially put me at risk for further problems? Thanks for y’alls input. I ain’t here to complain, just pick some community brain.
some techs lift the cab, others pull the front end apart(grille, bumper, lights, hood etc. and pull it out the front(this is how ford wants it done). If it is done correctly you have nothing to worry about it, let them fix the truck and see what happens after that.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:27 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

I strongly suggest calling Ford customer service, creating a claim, and requesting a buy back. I started an entire Lemon law thread documenting my 2016. If Ford approves your buy back, you do not need to apply for a lemon law - it’s all done civilly between you and Ford’s Reaquired Vehicle Department.

I replaced my 2016 XLT with a special ordered 2018 Lariat HDPP and it ended up costing me $1600 out of pocket. The process was a real pain but I benefited greatly.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CowboyOverYonder

I had the motor replaced in my 2015 ecoboost. The tech says pulling the cab is much easier than it seems and is a short process (I don't remember exactly but it might've been under an hour to pull the cab). Waiting on parts is the biggest issue you might have. Mine took about a month with waiting on parts, but maybe just 3 or 4 days of actual work. I didn't end up keeping the truck more than 3 months or so after so I cant say if I had problems afterwards or not.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

I've got the 3.5EB otor and hate hearing these stories. Knock on wood, nothing near what you've experienced....yet.

It sounds harsh when folks tell you to be patient and let Ford fix what SHOULDN"T be broken in the first place, but that's prolly your best path. If they've provided you with a loaner truck, at least you aren't too inconvenienced. I'd let the process go to see how things shake out, but at the very least, I'd insist on being "made whole" be insisting the dealer or Ford Customer Service offer you an extended factory warranty of at least 6-7 years and 100K miles....FOR FREE!!! Good luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 410 Likes on 292 Posts

Quote ( well she’s now sit for 36 days at the dealer and today an “engineer was flown in” )
The 30 Day Test (Texas law)
If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect(s) that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no comparable loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test. (you supplied loaner not Ford) add those costs to the final tally.

Take the Lemon Law info in to your next meeting and start the buyback process. Ford can resell a buyback because of engine failure / under customer satisfaction. A LEMON is marked LEMON for life.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by icantdrive55
I've got the 3.5EB otor and hate hearing these stories. Knock on wood, nothing near what you've experienced....yet.

It sounds harsh when folks tell you to be patient and let Ford fix what SHOULDN"T be broken in the first place, but that's prolly your best path. If they've provided you with a loaner truck, at least you aren't too inconvenienced. I'd let the process go to see how things shake out, but at the very least, I'd insist on being "made whole" be insisting the dealer or Ford Customer Service offer you an extended factory warranty of at least 6-7 years and 100K miles....FOR FREE!!! Good luck.
The best is when these people say "theres hundreds of thousands of them built, some are bound to have problems". Ummm, if I am spending $35k+ on a premium vehicle that has been the best seller since...forever, I expect it to function properly. And if it doesn't I expect it to be fixed in a timely manner, or compensated. Neither of which are happening in OP's case.

Quick Reply: My 2017 3.5 EB needs replaced (at 11k miles)