Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musty mold smell in cab...tried a few things.. help!

Old 06-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Musty mold smell in cab...tried a few things.. help!

So I'll try to word this to be as helpful as possible. Truck is a 2018 XLT crew cab.

-First time noticing this was about a year ago, anytime I would turn air on I was hit with a musty mold smell. It was ongoing for a few days so I was about to really dig in or take to the dealer, then it went away all of a sudden.

-Flash to now, its happening again. It was so bad on my way to work I honestly felt stuffed up and almost sick like. My nostrils had a slight burn and it was just hard to breathe. Yes, we've had a lot of rain lately.

What I've discovered:
-I read some threads and first looked into my moon roof, the wind screen doesn't appear to be wet or smell. Water does get in as designed but I'm not sure how to access drains to further look.
-I checked behind rear seat where the vent is as someone else had mentioned, and discovered a spot on the floor that is damp. Very small, maybe 2 inches. I got as close as I could and it doesn't really smell.
-I believe its AC related because if I just get in to the truck, I have no smell and the AC seems to kick it off. I recently replaced my cabin filter.

How/where should I be looking to see if its something with my AC system that doesn't involve a ton of work?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this for a few days and see if it helps.

About 10 minutes or so before you get to your destination, turn OFF the AC button (not the blower) and you can also turn the Recirculate button OFF so fresh air comes in. Turn up the blower a little too. The idea is to dry the moisture inside the unit which could be the cause of the bad smell.

I do this every day and no bad smell. I was starting to feel a stinky smell at first too.

Old problem discussed often.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by angelo7 View Post
Try this for a few days and see if it helps.

About 10 minutes or so before you get to your destination, turn OFF the AC button (not the blower) and you can also turn the Recirculate button OFF so fresh air comes in. Turn up the blower a little too. The idea is to dry the moisture inside the unit which could be the cause of the bad smell.

I do this every day and no bad smell. I was starting to feel a stinky smell at first too.

Old problem discussed often.
I've seen this mentioned, should I be concerned about what's possibly grown so far though? I have also seen products or lysol being sprayed into the intake to help combat what might already be there. I definitely didn't notice it until somewhat recently. Which would be higher temps finally mid 80's, tons of rain, tons of humidity.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 190 Likes on 145 Posts

If you use your AC a lot and pin down if its definitely an AC problem try this:
Get some Lysol and spray it into the outside vents with the doors open, uncirculate, blower on hi.
And check the AC water drain making sure its not plugged.

To prevent this from happening in the future, turn off the AC maybe a couple miles from parking with the blower on high.
I do this and have never had AC smell issues on all of my vehicles including my F150..
This will tend to evaporate any condensed water lingering in the HVAC system.
Bacteria love to wallow and procreate in damp dark conditions.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by moparado View Post
If you use your AC a lot and pin down if its definitely an AC problem try this:
Get some Lysol and spray it into the outside vents with the doors open, uncirculate, blower on hi.
And check the AC water drain making sure its not plugged.

To prevent this from happening in the future, turn off the AC maybe a couple miles from parking with the blower on high.
I do this and have never had AC smell issues on all of my vehicles including my F150..
This will tend to evaporate any condensed water lingering in the HVAC system.
Bacteria love to wallow and procreate in damp dark conditions.

How do I check the AC water drain?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Try changing your cabin filter. Helped with mine.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:22 PM
LCW

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by fharrison View Post
Try changing your cabin filter. Helped with mine.
Try one of these. I'm running the FRAM one currently and it helped get rid of odor from previous dog-owner of truck....

FRAM CF12150 Arm & Hammer FRAM CF12150 Arm & Hammer

I may try one of these when time to change again...

Cleenaire CAF79 Cleenaire CAF79

Spearhead Premium Breathe Easy Cabin Filter Spearhead Premium Breathe Easy Cabin Filter

And I stash a couple of these in the truck also...

California Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag California Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag

Last edited by LCW; 06-14-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Try an Ozone machine, run recirculating a/c and let it air out afterwards so you don't die from the ozone.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 133 Likes on 94 Posts

BG makes a product called Frigi-Fresh and it works well. I recommend giving it a try and then doing what others have mentioned to dry out the HVAC box (mostly the evaporator) before shutting the truck down.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 468 Likes on 317 Posts

I find keeping my shoes on helps...A little

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Musty mold smell in cab...tried a few things.. help!

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: