Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motortrends Chevy, Ford, Dodge Tests

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 620 Likes on 434 Posts
Default Motortrends Chevy, Ford, Dodge Tests

Motortrend's Chevy, Ford, and Dodge Pickup test, comment on towing performance:

With flat land hauling impressions in the bag, we headed out to the Davis Dam grade, a 12-mile stretch of Arizona Highway 68 just outside Bullhead City and the site of the SAE J2807 voluntary, standardized towing test for pickup trucks. The combination of altitude, payload, and a continuous 6-percent grade allowed us to observe how the powertrains reacted to a worst-case scenario we called "the frustration test." That is, trying to pass uphill while weighed down. Once again, the Ford felt unencumbered and skipped up the hill as if the weight wasn't there. Objectively, the time it took to jump from 50 to 70 mph nearly doubled compared to passing when empty and on flat ground, but you wouldn't know it by feel alone. The Ram likewise felt unburdened, and though it had the longest passing time, the difference was also less than double. The Chevy, though, felt seriously weighed down. Passing took a whole lot of throttle, and even then its passing time more than doubled.

Keep in mind that the engine in the Chevy is literally twice the size as the engine in the Ford (5.3L V-8 vs 2.7L V-6). The reason the performance is so bad on the Chevy is it still uses ancient pushrod technology, along with 2 valve/cylinder. The Ford uses state of the art DOHC (Double Overhead Camshafts), 4 valves/cylinder, and twin turbos.

The following 4 users liked this post by Takeda:
crockett56 (07-08-2015), iFord (07-10-2015), MattN03 (07-08-2015), speedwayman12 (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think you realize how much of a game changer TWIN TURBO's are on almost any truck. Slap some Turbo's on the 5.3 and see how much power it makes....it's not even comparable when talking forced induction vs N/A!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

eco diesel has a turbo.......

that being said though it is still something to see when you take an engine with half the cylinders and displacement as the chevy v8. yet the 2.7 still smoke it.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm impressed that the 2.7 gas kicked butt (if only slightly) on the 3.0 diesel.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 620 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Got-F150?
I don't think you realize how much of a game changer TWIN TURBO's are on almost any truck. Slap some Turbo's on the 5.3 and see how much power it makes....it's not even comparable when talking forced induction vs N/A!

The main point I was trying to make is GM's use of ancient technology on their V-8s (pushrod, and 2 valves/cylinder). Take a look at this data, it compares normally aspirated Ford vs Chevy engines, and also Corvette and Shelby Mustang forced induction engines. Clearly, DOHCs, and 4 valves/cylinder make a huge difference, either normally aspirated, or forced induction:

Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Its a crazy impressive motor, all that and killer gas mileage and great looks! Full Package!
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

The most impressive number there is the passed while loaded, HUGE difference. That 2.7 is impressive, and this was with the 3.55 gears.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 07-08-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Motortrends Chevy, Ford, Dodge Tests

Originally Posted by miniceptor86
I'm impressed that the 2.7 gas kicked butt (if only slightly) on the 3.0 diesel.
Yah, but how much fuel did the gas us compared to the diesel. That's where the little diesel excels. I'm sure the diesel was close to double of either truck while pulling the trailer.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I don't really understand why people are so hung up about fuel mileage when towing. You're towing the weight of your truck or more, so theoretically you'll get half the MPG. If your truck gets 20mpg unloaded you'll get 10mpg towing. Pretty simple. Don't like it? Don't buy a trailer.

Personally I'd much rather have the power I need when towing vs mileage. When I towed with my '13 5.0L it was a little better on fuel while towing my trailer vs my '11 Ecoboost but I sure got tired of hearing it scream up hills. The Ram EcoDiesel does indeed have more torque, but look at the specs. It's a slow dog even unloaded. This proves my theory that the Ecoboost engines are the best all-round engines for a truck versus a small diesel that everyone seems to want so badly. And as far as the Diesel's fuel economy advantage? It really doesn't have one at all. That EcoDiesel demands a $4,000 premium over the HEMI in some applications. You could buy a lot of fuel for that.
The following users liked this post:
iFord (07-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gentz002
eco diesel has a turbo.......

that being said though it is still something to see when you take an engine with half the cylinders and displacement as the chevy v8. yet the 2.7 still smoke it.
Diesel power delivery is completely different, they aren't an equal comparison really...

Originally Posted by Takeda
The main point I was trying to make is GM's use of ancient technology on their V-8s (pushrod, and 2 valves/cylinder). Take a look at this data, it compares normally aspirated Ford vs Chevy engines, and also Corvette and Shelby Mustang forced induction engines. Clearly, DOHCs, and 4 valves/cylinder make a huge difference, either normally aspirated, or forced induction:

You are forgetting a LOT of variables and that chart isn't really accurate when talking about an aftermarket car like a Shelby GT1000. There are much more efficient setups now using the 5.8..
Even Mullets new setup is over 2,500hp..

Look at a regular 6.2L LT1 rated from 415-460hp depending on chassis. Does that mean the Ford 6.2 Hurricane engine isn't any good now since it only makes 385-411hp as a SOHC?

Power delivery, torque and displacement play a big roll in how these vehicles perform from OEM and meeting emissions standards.

Here's an old 5.3 with a little Turbo making over 700hp..

Originally Posted by dodgehemi0
Yah, but how much fuel did the gas us compared to the diesel. That's where the little diesel excels. I'm sure the diesel was close to double of either truck while pulling the trailer.
Exactly, the trade off is consumption. The diesel is going to be more efficient.

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
I don't really understand why people are so hung up about fuel mileage when towing. You're towing the weight of your truck or more, so theoretically you'll get half the MPG. If your truck gets 20mpg unloaded you'll get 10mpg towing. Pretty simple. Don't like it? Don't buy a trailer.

Personally I'd much rather have the power I need when towing vs mileage. When I towed with my '13 5.0L it was a little better on fuel while towing my trailer vs my '11 Ecoboost but I sure got tired of hearing it scream up hills. The Ram EcoDiesel does indeed have more torque, but look at the specs. It's a slow dog even unloaded. This proves my theory that the Ecoboost engines are the best all-round engines for a truck versus a small diesel that everyone seems to want so badly. And as far as the Diesel's fuel economy advantage? It really doesn't have one at all. That EcoDiesel demands a $4,000 premium over the HEMI in some applications. You could buy a lot of fuel for that.
For someone that just drives to the store and back or work and back you're right it's not a big deal or worth the premium. However, for people that tow for a living that is a game changer. When you put 200-300K+ miles on a vehicle, doubling MPG is HUGE!

Quick Reply: Motortrends Chevy, Ford, Dodge Tests