Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Economical Way To Make The Bed A Trunk?

Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 93 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Most Economical Way To Make The Bed A Trunk?

I'm probably picking up a new STX in the next 6 months and am weighing the options on a liner and cover for the bed. With 2 kids and cargo I'd probably be better off with an SUV, but I like the versatility of a truck better. I do frequently need the bed. Wife has a CRV with the lease being up mid 2019, so we'll get another (slightly larger) SUV when the time comes.
That being said, what is the most economical way to make the bed a waterproof "trunk" when needed, but still be able to easily access the full bed? I was thinking some type of roll-up/retractable cover and a bed rug, mat, or other cheap liner. What are my options on the cheaper end of things?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 106 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy a fiberglass topper and then toss in a rubber bed mat. Want cheap? Build the topper out of plywood and Plexiglas.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I had the same concerns when I went from an SUV to my F150. I did not aff a bed mat, but I did add a Bakflip cover. My neighbor has the same cover and has driven it in torrential downpours, and the bed stays dry. I haven't had it long enough to test that, but I expect the same. The Bakflip seals pretty well.
The following users liked this post:
tardman91 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

I have had our BakFlip MX4 and Bak Industries BedRug installed for a couple months now and it is dry and clean like the truck of a car or rear cargo area of a SUV.

There are 2 dealers on here that will put you in each of them for far less money than what is advertised on the WWW!

One is Zach at Real Truck and the other is Luke at Truck Alterations.

Both companies are Forum Sponsors and both have a stellar reputation and I mention both so there will be no thread war over which one to use.

You will need to call or email to get the best price so do not just order off the internet.
tardman91 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Trifold cover would do the trick... The Bakflip cover is definitely one of the best on the market, but it's also very expensive.

When you need your bed, you can either remove it entirely or fold it to 1/3 of its length.
tardman91 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had a Ford OEM soft roll up cover and OEM spray in bed liner for over 2 years now and am extremely happy with this combo. It's not advertised as waterproof but it stays dry in any weather. It's exposed to Illinois winters and weather. I used to park outside the garage on an incline (back end close to house) and even with water falling right onto the tailgate the bed stayed dry. Whenever I need the bed for mulch, lumber, etc, I just roll the cover and can use the entire bed. I got the cover from Tasca if I remember right, I emailed then and said I was a member here and got a discount, paid like $260 shipped. Just my 2 cents as this was cheap and works great.
The following 2 users liked this post by FFPM03:
tardman91 (11-10-2017), Uncle_Booty (04-26-2021)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Bug

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tardman91
I'm probably picking up a new STX in the next 6 months and am weighing the options on a liner and cover for the bed. With 2 kids and cargo I'd probably be better off with an SUV, but I like the versatility of a truck better. I do frequently need the bed. Wife has a CRV with the lease being up mid 2019, so we'll get another (slightly larger) SUV when the time comes.
That being said, what is the most economical way to make the bed a waterproof "trunk" when needed, but still be able to easily access the full bed? I was thinking some type of roll-up/retractable cover and a bed rug, mat, or other cheap liner. What are my options on the cheaper end of things?
Define "economical" or cheap". On ready-made products you get what you pay for. BakFlip, Bedrug, Truxedo, etc all good products but at a cost. On "water-proof", not sure about BakFlip stuff but my Truxedo Lo Pro QT soft roll-up tonneau is not warranted as water-proof or airtight but very very little water gets in even in a hard rain.

I use my bed a lot too, I've had a hard-shell top (Undercover) on prior truck but invariably I had cargo that was an inch or so too tall to close it or big enough items where I had to remove the entire cover (a major pain in a 1-man operation), so like you I wanted easy full access ability w/o having to fully remove anything.

Before I bought my 2016, I noticed the bed depth on my prior 2009 F150 RCSB was about 1" more than the 2016 (Ford had to save money somewhere I guess..). So a roll-up was my choice.

On the liner side, I went belt-and-suspenders. I had dealer do a spray-in rough coat bed liner, but also bought the FoMoCo heavy rubber liner. Reason being, loading/unloading lots of boxes and stuff and sliding into/out of the bed is hard with the rough coat, the rubber lets me push/slide stuff way easier in and out. Plus when I'm in a hurry, the heavy rubber liner means chucking firewood etc. in the bed won't make me a Chevy steel-vs. aluminum bed poster boy...
Old 11-10-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I'm no expert on tonneaus (I run a commercial aluminum topper, which makes for a great trunk... but isn't the look most want, and doesn't give you the full bed when you want it) but if you're planning to haul stuff that isn't designed to beat around in the back of a truck, I'd look at a Bedrug rather than a spray-in liner or mat.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I've got an MX4, Realtruck hooked me up during a hurricane no less. I've just got a spray in liner, but if I were making a "trunk" I'd put a bedrug in.
BigDozer66 (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2017 and like you use the bed more like a trunk than anything else. I got the spray in bed liner from ford and caulked the seams in the bed. I then added a MX4 cover. I have been chasing a few leaks in the front corners of the cover but the caulk in the bed has kept the rest dry. I just bought a Bedrug mat to go over the spray liner.

If I had it to do over again I would have foregone the spray liner, caulked the bed gaps put the full Bedrug liner and go with either the MX4 or a Diamondback cover. The Diamondback would be nice as it would give me an easy option for mounting a ski carrier on top of the bed. I didn't even think that 180cm skis would not fit straight in a 5'6" bed.

Search this Thread