Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring causing sudden downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misfiring causing sudden downshifting?

My 2015 3.5 f150 has been experiencing sudden downshifting at random times. Typically, it happens once every hundred miles or so and takes the gears from 5 or 6 all the way to 1 or 2 gear at highway speeds. It is scary especially since we are supposed to be pulling a camper across the west for a few months.

First the dealership said that it was a throttle body issue so I replaced that. Now they are saying that it is spark plugs. Apparently, four out of six misfire at the same time randomly which they said would cause the downshift. However, I just had them replaced with new boots three months ago. The issue did start after a dealer transflush but I do not know if it is a coincidence or not.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

I bet your lead frame is on its way out
Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. Would that cause the misfiring and the random downshifting? How would I have the dealership check specifically for that?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by kfly
Thanks for the reply. Would that cause the misfiring and the random downshifting? How would I have the dealership check specifically for that?
the random downshifting yes it would. and just tell the dealer exactly what you are feeling.
The following users liked this post:
kfly (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM

The rep just told me that since it only pulled a code for a miss fire, so they want to release it to me and charge me for the diagnostics. However, it has been there three times for the same issues and each time, it is something different.

I asked to check the lead frame and the valve body so we will see. I did read that an improper transflush can cause that damage... but I doubt they would admit it and kind of doubt they are going to even check it.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kfly
My 2015 3.5 f150 has been experiencing sudden downshifting at random times. Typically, it happens once every hundred miles or so and takes the gears from 5 or 6 all the way to 1 or 2 gear at highway speeds. It is scary especially since we are supposed to be pulling a camper across the west for a few months.

First the dealership said that it was a throttle body issue so I replaced that. Now they are saying that it is spark plugs. Apparently, four out of six misfire at the same time randomly which they said would cause the downshift. However, I just had them replaced with new boots three months ago. The issue did start after a dealer transflush but I do not know if it is a coincidence or not. How long we can drive with a misfiring cylinder, visit this link to find more info.
You should check all Ignition System such asspark plugs, ignition wires, and coil packs wear or corrode over time. It is one of causes misfire. If the issue is not with Ignition System, you should check the fuel system as clogged fuel filter, dirty fuel injectors, and failing mass airflow sensor or fuel pump. The EGR valve could also stick for not cleaning it for a long time. All can create engine misfire,

Quick Reply: Misfiring causing sudden downshifting?