Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love your truck so much that it makes you want to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Love your truck so much that it makes you want to upgrade?

First time truck and ford owner, absolutely love my XLT - however, having moved from a loaded '14 MDX to this comparatively unloaded one is giving me buyer's remorse just 4 months down the line. The one feature I miss excessively is Dual Zone climate. 100% of the times, my wife is at a polar opposite temp of what I am and that leaves me either cooking or cooling (extremely).

Some of the other goodies I miss from my MDX is Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Radar Cruise control and a much better sound system than the stock Sony (man they dropped the ball on this one).

To this extent, I'm actually considering trading mine out and upgrading to a Lariat (or even Platinum). I haven't modded mine too much to the point I can't move some of the mods over. Moreover, I'm also not one to tinker with electricals or install stuff as some of the more experienced folks on here seem to be doing. It's really a tough choice at this point - not sure anyone else is in a similar position.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,448 Likes on 958 Posts

The only option I would love to have is a heated steering wheel. I won't waste money trading, and I'm not willing to go to the expense and hassle of adding it.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I used to drive XLTs... reached a financial point where I could upgrade and haven't looked back. I enjoy the toys. That said, I probably wouldn't trade a brand-new XLT in just to get the extra toys. It's just too much of a depreciation hit.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Get your wife a loaded car and let the xlt sit for small errands and stuff. That way when y’all go somewhere together y’all can take her ride.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by encryption
First time truck and ford owner, absolutely love my XLT - however, having moved from a loaded '14 MDX to this comparatively unloaded one is giving me buyer's remorse just 4 months down the line. The one feature I miss excessively is Dual Zone climate. 100% of the times, my wife is at a polar opposite temp of what I am and that leaves me either cooking or cooling (extremely).

Some of the other goodies I miss from my MDX is Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Radar Cruise control and a much better sound system than the stock Sony (man they dropped the ball on this one).

To this extent, I'm actually considering trading mine out and upgrading to a Lariat (or even Platinum). I haven't modded mine too much to the point I can't move some of the mods over. Moreover, I'm also not one to tinker with electricals or install stuff as some of the more experienced folks on here seem to be doing. It's really a tough choice at this point - not sure anyone else is in a similar position.
You would probably take a huge bath on your current truck, get the wife a loaded car
Old 01-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Coming from loaded Lariats to an XLT was one of my bigger regrets. Once the new truck honeymoon period wears off you start to realize that you miss those little odds and ends a lot.

That said, don't bury yourself financially. I plan to have the 25 remaining months of my lease taken over like I've done in the past and move to a Lariat - that way I don't lose anything beyond what I've already paid for on my truck.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
You would probably take a huge bath on your current truck, get the wife a loaded car
She got my loaded MDX, it's still in the family but damn I shouldn't have skimped and paid the extra $5K on the Lariat. True regret. The worst is when we take her car out, it makes me miss the things I'm already missing, even more. I so miss the Lane Keep Assist, that was a true blessing on long drives, which we have at least 15 of every year.

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
Coming from loaded Lariats to an XLT was one of my bigger regrets. Once the new truck honeymoon period wears off you start to realize that you miss those little odds and ends a lot.

That said, don't bury yourself financially. I plan to have the 25 remaining months of my lease taken over like I've done in the past and move to a Lariat - that way I don't lose anything beyond what I've already paid for on my truck.
I don't like leasing my cars, I prefer to buy them, which is what I have done on all my previous vehicles. I figured if I can get a decent trade, I wont be in the hole that much on taxes and other than destination charges + documentary fees in MD, I might not take that big a hit. Mine is still new, only 4 months and 5K miles on it. Pretty much in mint condition other than the dirt from the recent snow storms.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

She got my loaded MDX, it's still in the family but damn I shouldn't have skimped and paid the extra $5K on the Lariat. True regret. The worst is when we take her car out, it makes me miss the things I'm already missing, even more. I so miss the Lane Keep Assist, that was a true blessing on long drives, which we have at least 15 of every year.

I don't like leasing my cars, I prefer to buy them, which is what I have done on all my previous vehicles. I figured if I can get a decent trade, I wont be in the hole that much on taxes and other than destination charges + documentary fees in MD, I might not take that big a hit. Mine is still new, only 4 months and 5K miles on it. Pretty much in mint condition other than the dirt from the recent snow storms.
unless you made a significant down payment you are probably flipped in it pretty good. Yes it might be new to you but to a dealer it is a used vehicle, that really hurts the value and they say that the average new vehicle loses around 25% of its value the second it is sold.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
unless you made a significant down payment you are probably flipped in it pretty good. Yes it might be new to you but to a dealer it is a used vehicle, that really hurts the value and they say that the average new vehicle loses around 25% of its value the second it is sold.
I know you mentioned average vehicle loses 25% but I don't believe the F150 is one of them, considering it has been a perennial best seller. Resale values on the F150 are pretty darn good, I used car shopped for an F150 like hell because I wanted to buy an overland trailer at the same time, but realized that I could buy a new one for just $5-$10K more than the used offerings in my area which were +35K miles and 3+ years old.

My truck's sticker before any discounts was $56K and I got it for $41K off the lot (wife's a nurse so got that discount and the dealer also threw in free LineX). I paid an additional $2900 for upgraded warranty (7 years 100K miles if I recall correctly). So I'm hoping it won't be too much of a kicker. I know I always laughed at some of the FWPs (first world problems) I've read online, but its ironic to eventually find myself succumbing to one.

I just hope I get back just as much.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I know you mentioned average vehicle loses 25% but I don't believe the F150 is one of them, considering it has been a perennial best seller. Resale values on the F150 are pretty darn good, I used car shopped for an F150 like hell because I wanted to buy an overland trailer at the same time, but realized that I could buy a new one for just $5-$10K more than the used offerings in my area which were +35K miles and 3+ years old.

My truck's sticker before any discounts was $56K and I got it for $41K off the lot (wife's a nurse so got that discount and the dealer also threw in free LineX). I paid an additional $2900 for upgraded warranty (7 years 100K miles if I recall correctly). So I'm hoping it won't be too much of a kicker. I know I always laughed at some of the FWPs (first world problems) I've read online, but its ironic to eventually find myself succumbing to one.

I just hope I get back just as much.
you probably won't get nearly that much back, if you get anything over 40 i would be surprised

Quick Reply: Love your truck so much that it makes you want to upgrade?