Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Grinding/Buzzing when lightly accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Loud Grinding/Buzzing when lightly accelerating?

Hello,

I bought my 2017 F150 used in April with 9,000 some odd miles on it and I've had take it in to Ford twice to check on this random engine noise that I am getting. It seems to happen when the truck is cold when I am lightly accelerating. It sounds like a loud buzzing/grinding/mechanical noise coming from the engine and only happens when I am lightly accelerating (pulling out of my driveway on flat ground). It gets louder the more I accelerate until I let off the gas, then it will stop. The gas pedal seems to vibrate a little and it sounds like its coming from the driver side engine. Also, when it happens, it seems to be stuck in gear so the only way that I can make it stop is to take my foot off the gas and reapply, which seems to reset things. I don't think accelerating harder would fix it as I am afraid to do that because it already sounds like the engine is going to explode. Sometimes it'll repeat itself but eventually it will stop and I will be able to drive as normal. When this noise happens, the engine seems to bog down and I don't recall it ever happening when the truck is warmed up (maybe once but the pattern seems to be first thing in the morning). Its really concerning, very loud and extremely obvious that something is wrong.

The difficult part is that it does not happen every time, which is why Ford said they didn't notice any problems... On Nov 26th, after having the truck in their shop to have the tranny guy look things over, I picked the truck up and headed to work, of course, it did it again (about 3 miles from the dealership) but I was going about 30mph going between 5-6 gear (i think). It bogged down, made the exact same loud buzzing/grinding noise and it would not shift until I let off the gas where it seemed to reset itself. The noise is completely obvious so there is no way they could miss it, the problem is, its not something that they can duplicate on command...

Its a hard sound to explain and its only happened maybe 5 times in the last 3 weeks. I can't recall it ever happening throughout the summer when the temps are warmer and its definitely occurring in the colder weather. I am trying to describe all the details that I can think of because I can't find anything about this on any forum and Ford doesn't seem to think anything is wrong. I did find a post on here from back in 2016 (04 - 08 Fords) about something that sounds similar and he posted a video of a guy driving but there was no solution nor did it match up to what I am experiencing.

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/weird-n...5-4-3v-360455/

Have anyone else experienced something like this??

Kris

Quick Reply: Loud Grinding/Buzzing when lightly accelerating?