Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud bang (clunk) from front end when 4WD engages

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Loud bang (clunk) from front end when 4WD engages

For some time I've been getting a really loud CLUNK from my front end when the truck's hubs engage in 4WD. This will happen usually under heavier acceleration such as hammering it in 4AUTO on a slippery road, or givin' er in 4HI after shifting gears (i.e. from drive to reverse and back again). I took it to the dealership yesterday and road tested it with the tech that was going to work on it, and was easily able to replicate it on a snowy patch of road. He said "Oh yeah we DEFINITELY will fix that!" It only seems to happen once in any particular gear and will only happen again when re-engaging from a different gear OR when 4AUTO is engaging.

I just got the call back from the dealership that they couldn't find anything wrong. They went through the whole front end they said and nothing seemed amiss.

I've read that the Fords are in fact "clunky" like that and the noise is normal, but it literally sounds like someone is under the truck swinging a sledge hammer against the drivetrain. Is this truly normal or is the tech missing something?
Old 03-15-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyCal
For some time I've been getting a really loud CLUNK from my front end when the truck's hubs engage in 4WD. This will happen usually under heavier acceleration such as hammering it in 4AUTO on a slippery road, or givin' er in 4HI after shifting gears (i.e. from drive to reverse and back again). I took it to the dealership yesterday and road tested it with the tech that was going to work on it, and was easily able to replicate it on a snowy patch of road. He said "Oh yeah we DEFINITELY will fix that!" It only seems to happen once in any particular gear and will only happen again when re-engaging from a different gear OR when 4AUTO is engaging.

I just got the call back from the dealership that they couldn't find anything wrong. They went through the whole front end they said and nothing seemed amiss.

I've read that the Fords are in fact "clunky" like that and the noise is normal, but it literally sounds like someone is under the truck swinging a sledge hammer against the drivetrain. Is this truly normal or is the tech missing something?
Are all the tires the same size? Is there a large thread depth difference between font and the rears (Have you rotated recently) I remember having a similar problem on my last truck.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by <-KJP->
Are all the tires the same size? Is there a large thread depth difference between font and the rears (Have you rotated recently) I remember having a similar problem on my last truck.
Tires are all the same size, were rotated about 8000 km ago, and tread depth is within 1/8" to 1/16" of each other. How would any of that have an effect on this symptom??
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine will clunk going into 4 wheel drive sometimes.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Tires are all the same size, were rotated about 8000 km ago, and tread depth is within 1/8" to 1/16" of each other. How would any of that have an effect on this symptom??
Like I said on my last truck I used 2 winter tires and 2 all seasons both same size on the side wall. They must have been different diameter (two diff brands) my 4x4 system made a clunk, that is why I was asking. As soon as I changed back to all 4 (all seasons) there were no more issues, quiet as a mouse when engaging.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricklee4570
Mine will clunk going into 4 wheel drive sometimes.
Mine did something like that a few times, engaging the 4wd. Now, I avoid pressing the throttle during shift. It didnt help I was on slippery surface when it occurred. Kind of like a very small patch of black ice then pavement. Seemed like the perfect worse case.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found out the fix

chnage the iwe. It took me about an hour and all is fixed. If you need help or advice email me
Old 10-18-2021, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meserve007
chnage the iwe. It took me about an hour and all is fixed. If you need help or advice email me
I’m brand new to the forum. Just signed up. But have been researching this issue for a while now.

I have the exact same problem with my 2011 F150 FX4. I’ve had it at the dealership 3 times here in Alberta and they cannot replicate the noise on the lift. In 4x4 high/low on slippery surface there’s a loud clunking sound coming from either drivers side front wheel or from transfer case. Or when there’s load on the 4x4 system like trying to climb up a steep hill it will clunk. I’m wondering if the original poster changed his IWE and if it fixed the problem???
Also I recall one time hearing the same loud clunking sound while in 2wd on a soft gravel road.

So far I’ve replaced all fluids in tranny, transfer case and front diff. Installed a new seal on back of transfer case where drive shaft goes in, but it still continues to leak. I installed new vacuum hose between iwe up to solenoid as the old one was leaking. Everything seems like it’s holding vacuum now. Could the IWE just be wore out from previous failing vacuum hose? Could the transfer case be damaged internally? Any insight welcome’d.

Last edited by ABf150outdoorsman; 10-23-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:33 PM

Default Interested in your Fix

Would you mind sharing
Old 02-06-2022, 09:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

my truck is doing the same clunk noise.wat is a IWE?

Quick Reply: Loud bang (clunk) from front end when 4WD engages