Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 2017, need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Looking to buy a 2017, need some advice.

If i'm in the wrong place, please redirect me.

Just rented a 2017 4 dr and I'm in love. I', definitely buying one, and getting rid of my grand cherokee piece of junk. I have some basic questions:

1. Whats the difference between a super cab and super crew? Is the Cab bigger?

2. I'm unsure which engine to get. I'm primarily interested in the v8, although the v6 sees pretty powerful. Any thoughts on engines would be appreciated.

3. Do people here prefer to buy a truck stripped down mostly, with limited options and then add them on afterwards, or does it make more sense to just add the dealer options up front. seems it would cost slightly more, I'm unsure.

4. Tonneau covers, what are your thought and recommendations. This is mostly going to be a city car for me, NYC. I'm going to want access to teh bed regularly, using it like i would a trunk, and probably using a bed divider to block out the last few feet of the bed for access. I'll still want to cover the bed though, and also want something which can be easily removed and modified according to my various needs. This is one place where I dont mind spending a bit more.

5. What size tires do you run on these, are stock perfectly fine? Are those usually 17"? Does anyone lift their truck? I'm not sure that would be necessary for my city driving.

6. Preferences regarding interior would be interesting to hear. theres a lot of dealer options, and im unclear on all of them. Obviously im going to head to a dealr to see for myself, but i'd rather go in prepared, than simply be at the mercy of the salesman. I kind of like the fold down middle seat in the front, makes for a great arm rest.

7. GPS/radio/rear view monitor: do you buy aftermarket on these, or is there a unist that does it all? I want all of the above, but im unsire of i should go with the factory option or not. it's pretty expensive so i want to get that right.

8. Keyless entry, remote starter: same question, do you go cheap out the door and then buy aftermarket on this or does ford have a good viper like product that is worth buying in the dealership?

9. Bumper guards, grilles/ sidebars, floorboards, tailsteps: What your preference and why? I like a good side runner board, and possibly a well made tail step, as well as a good grill guard. Id appreicate hearing what your preferences are and why.

10. How do you load your dogs up, especially of you have a baby in the back. is there any kind of decent option to load dogs in the bed without seeming like an animal abuser?

11. Price. Whats this thing going to cost me, and whats the cheapest way to buy the most truck possible. are there any deals i should know about? I aint rich.

Thanks guys! I cant wait to buy this awesome truck.

jason
Old 12-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Cliffs?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Tommy

Received 4,264 Likes on 2,183 Posts

1) Super Cab

Super Crew

As far as the question of price, you will get the best rebates on the XLT trim level... some of these come very well equipped with what you are asking for - I.E. remote start, GPS, rear view camera, etc.

Last edited by Firerunner; 12-26-2016 at 04:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jason370 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Supercrew is a full 4 doors and lots of space inside.

The Supercab has 2 rear suicide doors and much less space. ( mentioned baby. Had a loaner supercab and the front seat was all way up to fit it rear facing car seat and with my long legs there was no room behind me for mama to sit.)

The engine depends on what your trying to do. Is this just a ride to drive all around or will you be hauling. If not using to haul or tow the 2.7 is more that enough especially if your used to the Grand Cherokee.

Looling for a deal buy a 16 as the 17's are out or wait until the 18 is rolling out to grab the huge factory cash on the old model. (Just got 6800 in factory cash in November as they are trying to clear them out.

The rest is what you like. If you mod your self you risk messing up or harming your warrenty if not done correctly. But the dealer sometimes charges too much for some upgrades.

I currently have a 16 XL Sport 4x4. The bottom tier but has 8k in factory upgrades and love it way more than my current loaner 17' barebones XLT (next step up).

My wheels are stock 20's but they very on packages and trim levels.

Prepare to spend $40K+

Last edited by Gulleyrw; 12-26-2016 at 04:25 PM.
jason370 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Firerunner
1) Super Cab

Super Crew

As far as the question of price, you will get the best rebates on the XLT trim level... some of these come very well equipped with what you are asking for - I.E. remote start, GPS, rear view camera, etc.
Thanks for that. Clearly i want the super crew, as the cab is too small for me.

Whats the difference between xl and xlt, and why do they offer better rebates and incentives for one over the other? Also, does box size matter with this? since i live in the city, and this isnt a work truck, so i want the smallest box possible, im just not sure if the various configurations allow for all different box sizes.

For reference, i want a 4x4, v8 (i think, im still unsure about engine), 6 speed auto (i think ten sp is better for towing, and i dont tow often or heavy).

Also, whats cliffs?

thanks!
Jason
Old 12-26-2016, 04:39 PM
OHA
BigCityRedneck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jason370

Whats the difference between xl and xlt, and why do they offer better rebates and incentives for one over the other? Also, does box size matter with this? since i live in the city, and this isnt a work truck, so i want the smallest box possible, im just not sure if the various configurations allow for all different box sizes.

For reference, i want a 4x4, v8 (i think, im still unsure about engine), 6 speed auto (i think ten sp is better for towing, and i dont tow often or heavy).

Also, whats cliffs?

thanks!
Jason
The XL is the "bare bones" model. Bare bones means something much different in 2016 than it did in 2006 though. Look up the packages (i.e 100A, 101A for XL and 300A,301A,302A for XLT). Just see what you want and need. XLT usually has tons more rebates than XLs though.

Standard with a supercab (suicide short door) is a 6 1/2' bed. With a super crew (full 4 doors) is a 5.5' box (the smallest you can get) standard.

If you do light towing (4k lbs or less), you won't need anything bigger than the 2.7L. IMHO, the 2.7 is a great engine, minus the "mandatory" start stop feature that shuts off the engine when fully stopped. The 2.7 usually has the most rebates enginewise. if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, get the XLT supercrew with the 2.7 and 302A package. My father and I both bought our trucks a month apart..

I got the sterling grey XLT supercab 4x4 with the chrome package and 302A with the 2.7L. Mine was $44.3k sticker. With all the XLT and 2.7L engine rebates, I paid $35k tax INCLUDED (we have 11% sales tax in Chicago).

Dad got the silver XLT supercrew 4x4 with the chrome pachage, 302A, and the 2.7L. His was $46.5k sticker. With all the XLT and 2.7L engine rebates, he paid $36.7k tax INCLUDED.

There are deals to be had, but this configuration, by far, has the best rebates unless you go up to Lariat or Platinum.

If gas mileage somewhat matters, I drive 95% city.. Averaging 17.8-18.5 by hand calculations with my 2.7L. after 10k miles.

As for the 6 spd vs. 10 spd tranny, don't be the trial and error guy, wait a year until they fix the kinks in the 10 spd.

Last edited by OHA; 12-26-2016 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Tommy

Received 4,264 Likes on 2,183 Posts

9. Bumper guards, grilles/ sidebars, floorboards, tailsteps: What your preference and why? I like a good side runner board, and possibly a well made tail step, as well as a good grill guard. Id appreicate hearing what your preferences are and why.
Again most well optioned XLT's will have this stuff. I got the XLT Chrome package when I bought mine and it came with side steps, carpet and rubber floor mats, but didn't have a factory tailgate step (that is one of the things I added after I bought it) If you can find one with the step already on it I suggest getting it because lets face it, we are all getting older every day and I have found that step to be great for ease of access into the truck bed.

10. How do you load your dogs up, especially of you have a baby in the back. is there any kind of decent option to load dogs in the bed without seeming like an animal abuser?
While I Don't have any kids, I do have two labs and have found that the rear of the Super Crew is plenty big with the seat raised for both of them. You could probably have your child seat on the passenger side and raise the driver's side seat to accommodate your dog if you wanted to, there really is plenty of room back there!

Also, whats cliffs?
thanks!
Jason
The XL is the Base unit that ford sells ( basically the work truck of the group)
the XLT are the mid - level trucks followed by Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch, And the most expensive of the group is the Limited. For some reason (even though they are high priced) they have put the Raptor's around the same pecking order as Lariats
Old 12-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Aspiring Banhammerator

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

A V8 has always been a must for me in a truck. I'm heavily biased also. Choose the 5.bro life man.
jason370 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The questions you are asking are so broad...You might start by going to a dealership and asking some of your questions... then coming on here and doing some research.
HappyChappy (12-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by OHA
The XL is the "bare bones" model. Bare bones means something much different in 2016 than it did in 2006 though. Look up the packages (i.e 100A, 101A for XL and 300A,301A,302A for XLT). Just see what you want and need. XLT usually has tons more rebates than XLs though.

Standard with a supercab (suicide short door) is a 6 1/2' bed. With a super crew (full 4 doors) is a 5.5' box (the smallest you can get) standard.

If you do light towing (4k lbs or less), you won't need anything bigger than the 2.7L. IMHO, the 2.7 is a great engine, minus the "mandatory" start stop feature that shuts off the engine when fully stopped. The 2.7 usually has the most rebates enginewise. if you're looking for the most bang for your buck, get the XLT supercrew with the 2.7 and 302A package. My father and I both bought our trucks a month apart..

I got the sterling grey XLT supercab 4x4 with the chrome package and 302A with the 2.7L. Mine was $44.3k sticker. With all the XLT and 2.7L engine rebates, I paid $35k tax INCLUDED (we have 11% sales tax in Chicago).

Dad got the silver XLT supercrew 4x4 with the chrome pachage, 302A, and the 2.7L. His was $46.5k sticker. With all the XLT and 2.7L engine rebates, he paid $36.7k tax INCLUDED.

There are deals to be had, but this configuration, by far, has the best rebates unless you go up to Lariat or Platinum.

If gas mileage somewhat matters, I drive 95% city.. Averaging 17.8-18.5 by hand calculations with my 2.7L. after 10k miles.

As for the 6 spd vs. 10 spd tranny, don't be the trial and error guy, wait a year until they fix the kinks in the 10 spd.
Thank you. That's a really informative post. 35k after tax is great.