Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longevity of Ecoboost engines

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Longevity of Ecoboost engines

So how is the longevity in these engines? Any known life expectancy issues for the turbo units. (Premature failures, blown turbos, etc.)

In reading forums from OTHER manufacturers, there seems to be lots of negativity about the Ecoboost engines and their turbo units... (or is it jealousy for high power and low displacement)??? You've got the V8 fanboys screaming FAIL on the turboed 6s.

I know the 2015 150s are still new... but the Ecoboost engines aren't new to Ford...

So looking for some real world long-term feedback on longevity, maintenance, failures, etc,
Old 05-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont think youll get much real info on this as their just isnt much to be had. The engines are 4-5 years old at this point. I love the feel of the 2.7 and 3.5, but planning on having this next truck awhile and just dont know that I can risk it. Direct Injection and the intake valve build up are my biggest concerns. No exclusive to the ecoboost, going to be an issue on any DI engine.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

As said already I think the jury is out to a point. There were a few guys on another forum a while ago reporting they hade over 150K on their Ecoboosts with no issues. You always hear about all the problems, but no one ever says anything when they run how they should.

Ford has hundreds of thousands of these engines out there. I suspect the 3.5 in this 2015 truck will be fine.

-Jeff
The following 2 users liked this post by Bartojc:
BlackBoost (03-12-2018), Enoch (03-13-2018)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is the thread I was talking about. Some guys well over 250K with no problems

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/13...ileage-15.html

-Jeff
The following 2 users liked this post by Bartojc:
BlackBoost (03-12-2018), NA_WreckDiver (04-09-2016)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not all that worried about it. It's not like putting turbos in an engine is a new idea.
The following users liked this post:
Twin snail putput (02-23-2020)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

The jury is out on all manufacturers, really. I'd trust the twin turbos as much or more than I'd trust the GM's with direct injection and active fuel management (which has been out for years but has never really worked well, as far as I can tell) or the Ram's with 8 speed transmissions and the new ecodiesel. If you want a fairly time tested engine, I guess you'd have to get the Hemi and hope the trans is OK. Or buy a Tundra and pay for the fuel. No one wants a Titan anymore. Unless you get the new diesel...but who knows how it'll do. Or you could get the equally new (to the 3.5 eco) 5.0 and hope it doesn't knock. In my mind it's all a crap shoot, you'd just have to buy the truck you like best. Good to hear of some eco's with over 250k miles with no issues, though.
The following users liked this post:
FX4* (04-12-2016)
Old 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jdtemple
I'm not all that worried about it. It's not like putting turbos in an engine is a new idea.
You're right, but putting turbos and direct injection on a gas motor is a relatively new idea for Ford. The turbo on the old semi truck motor (or the powerstroke engines) doesn't really have any relevance to how well the EB's will or will not do down the road. Not in my mind, anyway.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

The biggest problems seems to be the timing chain, code P0016, if you do a search you will come up with a lot of info. I think it might be overblown on forums but none the less a problem. I read they changed the system on the 2.7 but not the 3.5. Some seem to think full synthetic oil helps. Turbos are no more prone to problems than any other parts on engine.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrob56
I dont think youll get much real info on this as their just isnt much to be had. The engines are 4-5 years old at this point. I love the feel of the 2.7 and 3.5, but planning on having this next truck awhile and just dont know that I can risk it. Direct Injection and the intake valve build up are my biggest concerns. No exclusive to the ecoboost, going to be an issue on any DI engine.
They're closer to 7 years old. They were putting them in the Lincoln MKS for 2 years before the F150. Like the one guy said you never hear about the good ones only the ones that had issues. The same could be said of all negative things. Bad news travels faster than good news.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:34 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Just remember you are on a forum, so mostly you hear negative things.
When in the real world some have issues, but the vast majority are running fine.
I have yet to encounter a single problem with my 2015. .....but reading here you may wonder if not every single one has many major issues.
I know others with 2015s as well and they to are trouble free.
I do play hockey with a guy though thats had a few issues with his 2014 with the ecoboost in it....the engines fine in his but it had a water leak they took 6 months to get fixed correctly. His wipers quit working after about a week old....repaired quickly. The box was not aligned to the cab when he picked it up.....solved right away. And lastly the ABS light came on when it was not very old....brakes seemed to work okay he said....but another trip to the dealer for more work.
Every issue was solved on his truck and he is now a happy owner. His seemed to be more the exception than the normal f150 though.

Quick Reply: Longevity of Ecoboost engines