Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifted Truck Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifted Truck Issues

I am new lifting trucks and this is going to be my first lifted truck that I have ever owned. I got a 2015 F-150 that I lifted 6inches with 35in tires. I was expecting a few issues and I was wondering how to correct them.

Issue #1: The speedometer is off by 5 mph. How would I correct this? If the speedometer is off, is the odometer off?

Issue #2: I know that the lift was going to put a load on the engine and transmission, How would I ease the load? Would regearing help? Does regearing make the truck have
a RPM rate?

Issue #3: Fuel mileage. I knew that the MPG would go down but is there a way to help it out? If I regear the truck, would that help the gas mileage?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Moved to 2015+
Old 04-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 211 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by agarcia4918
I am new lifting trucks and this is going to be my first lifted truck that I have ever owned. I got a 2015 F-150 that I lifted 6inches with 35in tires. I was expecting a few issues and I was wondering how to correct them.

Issue #1: The speedometer is off by 5 mph. How would I correct this? If the speedometer is off, is the odometer off?

Issue #2: I know that the lift was going to put a load on the engine and transmission, How would I ease the load? Would regearing help?

Issue #3: Fuel mileage. I knew that the MPG would go down but is there a way to help it out? If I regear the truck, would that help the gas mileage?
1)
The cheapest and easiest way to change this is via Forscan software. in the coding, you can change the diameter of you tire, and it should be good.
2)
Depends on what gear ration you have currently. for instance, I had 3.31 and I did a 6" lift and 35's. I still got good gas milleage, but the engine and trans worked like a dog for power. I would have to put the pedal down to get on the freeway, and it just felt like the trans was working harder. I regeared both front and back to 4.10 gears. The truck feels great now. only drawback, my mpg went slightly down. you can't have your cake and eat it too. you have to figure out what your willing to give up. If my truck had 3.73 from the start, I would have left them in. 3.55, it's a toss up. 3.31, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
3)
See above.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's questions like this... You mod the truck, KNOWING that it'll change all that, and then come back asking how to fix it all and make it back how it was...

Here's the answer : REMOVE LIFT KIT AND GO BACK TO STOCK TIRES. Easy as that. You can't expect going back to stock performance after doing this. People really need to do their research first....
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackBoost:
BCMIF150 (04-05-2018), tsigwing (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gintyfab
1)
The cheapest and easiest way to change this is via Forscan software. in the coding, you can change the diameter of you tire, and it should be good.
2)
Depends on what gear ration you have currently. for instance, I had 3.31 and I did a 6" lift and 35's. I still got good gas milleage, but the engine and trans worked like a dog for power. I would have to put the pedal down to get on the freeway, and it just felt like the trans was working harder. I regeared both front and back to 4.10 gears. The truck feels great now. only drawback, my mpg went slightly down. you can't have your cake and eat it too. you have to figure out what your willing to give up. If my truck had 3.73 from the start, I would have left them in. 3.55, it's a toss up. 3.31, I would do it again in a heartbeat.
3)
See above.

Thanks for your help. I was doing some research and it sounds like the 4.10 gears would be a better fit for the truck.Yeah of course! You can't have your cake and eat it too, but I am wondering if the truck is eating more gas because of the load and if regearing it would help stabilize it to a certain extent.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's questions like this... You mod the truck, KNOWING that it'll change all that, and then come back asking how to fix it all and make it back how it was...

Here's the answer: REMOVE LIFT KIT AND GO BACK TO STOCK TIRES. Easy as that. You can't expect going back to stock performance after doing this. People really need to do their research first...
Hey Blackboost, if you read my post I am not complaining about the lift. I am asking about the truck. I'm trying to help the truck out so there is not so much strain on the transmission and the engine. Thanks for replying but there are other posts that you can misinterpret. It seems like you are not going to give me any help here so, thank ya!
Old 04-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a 2018 2.7L with 3.31 gears and I put on a 6" lift with 35's. I changed the speedometer using Forscan and a GPS app to verify MPH. Yes there is more load on the drivetrain but the truck can handle it easily. I am getting 16.1 avg MPG which I think is good for my setup.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by agarcia4918

Issue #2: I know that the lift was going to put a load on the engine and transmission, How would I ease the load? Would regearing help? Does regearing make the truck have
a RPM rate?

For #1: If you don't want to go the Forscan route, you can get a (relatively) inexpensive handheld tuner like one from Superchips that will not only correct the speedo for tire size, but also correct it for gear changes if you change the gears. The one I have is also a tuner and helps a bit with performance as well.

For #2: Yes, re-gearing would help a lot. It's not cheap, but if you're going to keep the truck for a while, it's a fantastic investment. It makes a world of difference.

For #3: Re-gearing will help in "city-style" traffic, like frequent stop lights, and when you have to accelerate, brake, accelerate again, etc. Re-gearing may hurt highway mileage a bit. For me, in mixed driving, it helped overall. Other than that, just not flooring it when light turns green, haha, and every few MPH you go slower on the highway will help. So if you don't mind going a little slower on the highway than you're used to, you might see some benefit.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There’s a few different ways you can try to help or atleast deal with this. As far as MPG, naturally when changing ride height/tires/etc, it’s going to affect it. Even just adding a leveling kit will affect the MPG. Some ways to help, will just depend on how much you want to spend. And how long you plan on keeping your truck will determine if it will end up saving you money in the long run. You can do things like re-gear (as previously stated), add a programmer, or both.

Now for the speed, you can do a simple math formula: take the size of your new tires and divide it by your stock tire size, than multiply it by your speed on your speedometer. It’ll give you your actual current speed. Sounds like Forscan can fix the issue, or even re-gearing could get you pretty close. And with re-gearing will get you back to the stock performance as far as pick up speed and feel like less strain. But bigger tires than stock will cause more strain as it is, but your truck transmission strength shouldn’t be affected by 35’s since these trucks are able to pull trailers on a daily basis. The tires won’t cause near as much of a drag.

When you re-gear, as long as you get your tires and gears close to matching the ratio you had stock, your truck is not going to be screaming RPMs at highway speeds. When I re-geared mine and my dad’s Jeeps to 4.88s (35” tires) on mine and 5.13s (38” tires) on dad’s, they performed like stock. To calculate your appropriate gear ratio, take your stock gear ratio and divide by your stock tire size, then multiply your new tire size. This will give you a number for example 3.31/30.5=0.1085. Then 0.1085*33.8=3.6681. So if the only options are 3.55 and 3.73, you can choose your preference. I would choose 3.73 for two reasons. 1) because i personally don’t feel going from 3.31 to 3.55 is worth the money, and 2) if I’m spending the money, id rather have slightly over stock performance than slightly under stock.

Hope this helps somewhat and isn’t too confusing. Trying to write on the phone.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:50 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Agreed with the above. Here's a simple online calculator that will tell you what ratio you need, but as just mentioned, you'd need to go with at least 3.73 or 4.10's to make it worth it. Up to 4.10's you can use Ford Performance brand parts as well.

Here's the calculator.

https://www.intercotire.com/tire_siz...tio_calculator

I also agree about the RPM's and performance. I have 37" tires and I re-geared my F-150 to 4.88's (purposely went with more gear than "necessary" for better performance). With the tire size taken into account, I think it would be the equivalent of me putting in 4.20's into a stock truck. My truck has great acceleration, even with those big heavy tires and a 6" lift. At 60mph, because of overdrive on our transmissions, I'm still under 2,000 RPM's.

Quick Reply: Lifted Truck Issues