Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leveling Strut over Spacer for larger tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Leveling Strut over Spacer for larger tire?

Getting ready to level my ride. I over analyze everything when going away from OEM specs. Here's my thoughts, a leveling strut has the spring seat higher up the tube than the OEM which means the spring sits higher up in the wheel well, while a spacer pushes the strut down so the spring seat will essentially sit in the proper spot in relation to the wheel.

Will having the the spring seat higher up allow for a larger wheel fitment without rubbing? I am thinking the Spring Seat will limit the height of the tire. Anyone who actually knows if this is correct or not.

I really do not mind the ride as is for comfort (maybe I just don't know any better) so it comes down to if there is a clearance advantage with the strut over the spacer.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

I can't see an advantage here. If your going to rub anything it'll be the upper control arm.
The following users liked this post:
Canon101 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Canon101
Getting ready to level my ride. I over analyze everything when going away from OEM specs. Here's my thoughts, a leveling strut has the spring seat higher up the tube than the OEM which means the spring sits higher up in the wheel well, while a spacer pushes the strut down so the spring seat will essentially sit in the proper spot in relation to the wheel.

Will having the the spring seat higher up allow for a larger wheel fitment without rubbing? I am thinking the Spring Seat will limit the height of the tire. Anyone who actually knows if this is correct or not.

I really do not mind the ride as is for comfort (maybe I just don't know any better) so it comes down to if there is a clearance advantage with the strut over the spacer.
Strut changes the preload on the suspension (think torsion bars cranked). I would go with the spacer.
Canon101 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 322 Likes on 237 Posts

Spacer maintains stock ride quality. If you just want bigger tires go with a spacer.
Canon101 (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Mb1500

Strut changes the preload on the suspension (think torsion bars cranked). I would go with the spacer.
How would it preload the suspension, not disagreeing just wondering?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Leveled strut like a Bilstien 5100 / Fox 2.0 / etc., will give you a better ride than a stock strut with a spacer. I have had both, and the leveled strut is a better ride hands down. The higher quality strut is what makes the difference.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
Leveled strut like a Bilstien 5100 / Fox 2.0 / etc., will give you a better ride than a stock strut with a spacer. I have had both, and the leveled strut is a better ride hands down. The higher quality strut is what makes the difference.
Well "better" is subjective. Stock shocks with a spacer will be smoother/less firm than Bilstein 5100s at their highest setting. I prefer a smooth car like feel (stock shocks) others prefer a firmer, harder ride.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by redranger04g
Well "better" is subjective. Stock shocks with a spacer will be smoother/less firm than Bilstein 5100s at their highest setting. I prefer a smooth car like feel (stock shocks) others prefer a firmer, harder ride.
Mine rides like a Cadillac. Nice and smooth. Mine is also a heavy supercrew with 6 1/2 ft bed, so it may make more of a difference on a smaller lighter truck. Main thing I noticed was less body roll, and better feel off road.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 PM

Mine rides like a Cadillac. Nice and smooth. Mine is also a heavy supercrew with 6 1/2 ft bed, so it may make more of a difference on a smaller lighter truck. Main thing I noticed was less body roll, and better feel off road.
Are you at the highest setting on the Bilsteins? I'm not saying they aren't smooth, just saying the Bilsteins are firmer than stock. Which equates to less body roll, better handling and better off road.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Agreed.

I have to agree here on the better ride. It may be a bit stiffer but the ride is way better than the factory garbage you get stock. Less body roll for sure and just an overall more planted feeling. Plus, if you go with a bigger tire on say a leveled strut the strut will be able to handle the heavier tire better than the stock strut would. Skip the spacer and go with Bilstein or something similar. You won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Leveling Strut over Spacer for larger tire?