Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk mellow, conservative but a bit louder 5.0 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Lets talk mellow, conservative but a bit louder 5.0 Exhaust

18 Lariat bone stock and staying that way.....but I'd love to pull the exhaust tone up just a bit.

I've looked at many threads, listened to many clips.....still not able to come to a conclusion. I am a conservative guy that loves the 8 music but I just want a bit more....no drone and no notice when flat throttle cruising. I also don't have any interest in chasing .05% performance gains, nor do I want to lose any.

If I could have it same as stock when highway driving and 20% more "noise" when getting into throttle I would be happy. I am fearful of making a purchase and not achieving what I want because everyone's opinion is so personal. I don't want the neighbors to be ticked when my auto start happens on cold mornings.

Mellow, deep when on it but stock when not is my desire.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 205 Likes on 93 Posts

Hooker AeorChamber single in, dual out 4" diameter pipe. Great sound IMO, louder than stock but not obnoxious and the resonator is intact.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cwoodffr
18 Lariat bone stock and staying that way.....but I'd love to pull the exhaust tone up just a bit.

I've looked at many threads, listened to many clips.....still not able to come to a conclusion. I am a conservative guy that loves the 8 music but I just want a bit more....no drone and no notice when flat throttle cruising. I also don't have any interest in chasing .05% performance gains, nor do I want to lose any.

If I could have it same as stock when highway driving and 20% more "noise" when getting into throttle I would be happy. I am fearful of making a purchase and not achieving what I want because everyone's opinion is so personal. I don't want the neighbors to be ticked when my auto start happens on cold mornings.

Mellow, deep when on it but stock when not is my desire.
I wanted something like this too but it's not very easy to find. If you don't want to go to duals you could always have a Flowmaster 70 series added in place of the orignial muffler.

I did a Flowmaster 50 SUV, with a Jones resonator, and one spiral off a Patriot spiral exhaust insert. It actually ended up louder than I originally intended but it's still pretty mellow and sounds REALLY good. It's right on that fine line as far as drone goes though- occasionally it's a little annoying around 1600-1700 RPM, most of the time it doesn't bother me, but it sounds really good. I need to take a video.

I'm thinking about adding the factory resonator back in (in place of the Jones resonator) in spring to see how it sounds like that.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 AM

In general I think duals sound better but I always assumed it was because of separates from headers back....not sure an advantage in going 1 into 2, other than looks?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghunt81
I wanted something like this too but it's not very easy to find. If you don't want to go to duals you could always have a Flowmaster 70 series added in place of the orignial muffler.

I did a Flowmaster 50 SUV, with a Jones resonator, and one spiral off a Patriot spiral exhaust insert. It actually ended up louder than I originally intended but it's still pretty mellow and sounds REALLY good. It's right on that fine line as far as drone goes though- occasionally it's a little annoying around 1600-1700 RPM, most of the time it doesn't bother me, but it sounds really good. I need to take a video.

I'm thinking about adding the factory resonator back in (in place of the Jones resonator) in spring to see how it sounds like that.
This is my fear :-)
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

OP, sounds like a Borla Touring might be your best bet, plus, zero drone, but not cheap.

Originally Posted by NITRO-FC
Hooker AeorChamber single in, dual out 4" diameter pipe. Great sound IMO, louder than stock but not obnoxious and the resonator is intact. Drone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0mHi1SIJNs
Nitro, do you a video with that on the street? As in, accelerating? Sounds good, never knew of that system.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 12-20-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:31 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

I will say, the full Patriot insert (3 spirals) really mellowed it out even with the Flowmaster. Originally it was way loud, added the insert and then it was too quiet for me so I cut the insert down. However I don't know much of a restriction it was/is.

Could also try running a dump off the factory muffler? It's practically free, I did that for a short time, makes it a little louder and sounds really nice in the cab. But still pretty quiet.

Also duals nowadays are more for looks than anything else. Very few trucks are running real dual exhaust.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hooker AeorChamber single in, dual out 4" diameter pipe. Great sound IMO, louder than stock but not obnoxious and the resonator is intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0mHi1SIJNs
Hey Dave truck sounds good, Any idea of how close those dual exit pipes may come to the new cutouts in the Limited bumpers, looks like they would line up pretty well!!
Old 12-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 205 Likes on 93 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnday
OP, sounds like a Borla Touring might be your best bet, plus, zero drone, but not cheap.

Nitro, do you a video with that on the street? As in, accelerating? Sounds good, never knew of that system.
Actually I don't but I'd be happy to get one. I'll see if I can get one over the next few days before family gets here for Christmas. It'll give me a good excuse to wash this filthy truck

Originally Posted by Kansas Transit
Hey Dave truck sounds good, Any idea of how close those dual exit pipes may come to the new cutouts in the Limited bumpers, looks like they would line up pretty well!!
Not sure on that but I can take measurements and a side shot pic of the tips. Yeah I thought the install shop did a perfect job. It was Huff Muffler in Brandon FL if anyone reading is in that area.

I ran the Hooker AeroChambers on my '05 Mustang GT and loved them. To me they're sort of a hybrid chambered/straight-through muffler. There are baffles, but you can look right through the thing end to end.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,073 Likes on 6,507 Posts

Actually I don't but I'd be happy to get one. I'll see if I can get one over the next few days before family gets here for Christmas. It'll give me a good excuse to wash this filthy truck :thumbup
I'd appreciate that. Reminds me of the way the olde Boss 302 used to sound. I tried to get my last 5.0 to sound like that, but didn't happen. Any drone, how loud in the cab? That might be the impetus to get me to go back to a Coyote.

Quick Reply: Lets talk mellow, conservative but a bit louder 5.0 Exhaust