Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s talk remote starts

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Let’s talk remote starts

living up north in New York it’d be nice to have a remote start. Looking for something with decent range, won’t break the bank and I’d prefer to be able to use my factory key or cell phone to do it.

I hate having extra crap on my key rings.

Opinions and input please. Thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

Ford remote access app or 3rd party. Remote access app you will need a module installed by dealer and activated.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a plug and play remote start from 12volt solutions. It works off the factory key fob and it's a quick and simple install. If you want to use your phone to start the truck they sell an add-on module. I got the no horn honk remote. It starts the truck by pressing lock / unlock/ lock on the key fob. The other version will honk the horn because you need to press the lock button on the fob 3 times to start the truck. I've had it on my truck for over a year now and it has worked great.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 205 Likes on 131 Posts

We got a Compustar put on my wife's 2011 Explorer a couple years ago, so yes it does have a separate fob but that thing is so much better than a factory remote start. It has a 2000 foot range and I believe it. Cost was about $300.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by caperj
Ford remote access app or 3rd party. Remote access app you will need a module installed by dealer and activated.
but how’s the range and I’m willing to bet it’s pretty costly considering the dealer has to be involved

Originally Posted by odiez
I installed a plug and play remote start from 12volt solutions. It works off the factory key fob and it's a quick and simple install. If you want to use your phone to start the truck they sell an add-on module. I got the no horn honk remote. It starts the truck by pressing lock / unlock/ lock on the key fob. The other version will honk the horn because you need to press the lock button on the fob 3 times to start the truck. I've had it on my truck for over a year now and it has worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVpl8pcIOZw
I’ve looked at these before. Wasn’t to sure in them. I like that it’s simple To install so I don’t have to pay someone else. What is the range like on it?
Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave__the_ss

I’ve looked at these before. Wasn’t to sure in them. I like that it’s simple To install so I don’t have to pay someone else. What is the range like on it?
Same range as unlocking/locking your truck now.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Bolder

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remote start

On my 2017 f150 I used the Evo-fort1 with the Omega wireless start. It was plug n play. Cell service has been flawless, plus I can use my factory fob. First year is free on the wireless then 39.99 a month. I even installed one in my wife's Edge. Get combo packages bought off Ebay.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plug and play kit off ebay

I put one of these in my '17. used forscan to disable the double honk. and use factory flip key. just hit the button three times while I'm in the house getting ready for work, and the truck is nice and toasty
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAltitude
For decades manufacturers recommended ‘no idle’ engine warm up procedure: start, wait a few seconds, and drive away slowly. I don’t think anything has changed except manufacturers began offering remote start capability as an added cost option. Recognizing the obvious contradiction between the owners manual and the remote start option, the written advice no longer exists. I don’t use remote start.
Many years ago, people "warmed up" their cars because they thought it was good for their engine. Now I think most people do it to get the inside to a near-comfortable temp in extreme hot/cold weather. When the weather outside is nice, I see no point in it.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by iplayloudly
Many years ago, people "warmed up" their cars because they thought it was good for their engine. Now I think most people do it to get the inside to a near-comfortable temp in extreme hot/cold weather. When the weather outside is nice, I see no point in it.
agreed. Its so nice when its cold and frosty outside. come out to my truck seats are warm, interior's warm and its defrosted

Quick Reply: Let’s talk remote starts