Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are leftovers, leftover for a reason???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Are leftovers, leftover for a reason???

Bought my 2017 xlt scab in December, at that point pretty far into the 2018s run. There was only a few of the trucks I wanted left in the state.

My truck has been pretty troublesome. 2 months old, 1000 miles. Already in the dealer twice and lots of little other BS things. Plus it was FILTHY dirty. Must have been parked under trees.

So the question is..... is a leftover a leftover for a reason?
Old 02-02-2018, 05:52 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by KubotaB
Maybe, maybe not. It really could depend on numerous things.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:54 PM
RSF

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Bought my 2017 xlt scab in December, at that point pretty far into the 2018s run. There was only a few of the trucks I wanted left in the state.

My truck has been pretty troublesome. 2 months old, 1000 miles. Already in the dealer twice and lots of little other BS things. Plus it was FILTHY dirty. Must have been parked under trees.

Most likely color and / or equipment combination.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RSF
Most likely color and / or equipment combination.
That's how i justified the purchase. Only reason I could figure out why it would have sat for so long.

It had Telematics by Telogics on the sticker. $800 add on which was BS but it was the truck I wanted and still a decent deal so I sucked up the loss on it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

It could have been used by the dealer. Sometimes the dealer owner or his wife will drive a car around for a 6 months or so before it is put back on the lot for sale. I asked a female at my gym why her new Infinity had "Dealer" marked plates on it and she said her husband owns a brand new car dealer and she gets to drive cars home. She told me it could have up to XX amount of miles (i forgot) and still be sold as new. She further stated that the vehicles they drove would be disclosed to the purchaser and would reflect a discount (yeah right).

When I bought my 2017 Lariat in July, the dealer I always buy cars from (about 50 miles away) had trouble finding the truck with the options I wanted locally. We eventually agreed on a truck that was on a dealer lot about 250 miles away. My dealer traded a car for it (often done) and drove the truck back to their dealer and then to my house after they had the Line-x liner sprayed in. That's about 300-350 miles I expected. When I got it, it actually had 600+ miles on it and was built in November of 2016. My guess is that the dealer in Northern CA used the truck for a while, without disclosing it. By the time I got the truck, it was still in perfect condition and looked great after my inspection, so I didn't fret over the extra miles.

The two prior cars I bought from Ford were either ordered or I witnessed them come off the truck with all the plastic wrap still on them. So it did bug me a little when odometer didn't say 1 to 3 miles... "MUST STOP THINKING ABOUT IT"

Last edited by Killer95Stang; 02-02-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:34 PM

Received 232 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer95Stang
It could have been used by the dealer. Sometimes the dealer owner or his wife will drive a car around for a 6 months or so before it is put back on the lot for sale. I asked a female at my gym why her new Infinity had "Dealer" marked plates on it and she said her husband owns a brand new car dealer and she gets to drive cars home. She told me it could have up to XX amount of miles (i forgot) and still be sold as new. She further stated that the vehicles they drove would be disclosed to the purchaser and would reflect a discount (yeah right).

When I bought my 2017 Lariat in July, the dealer I always buy cars from (about 50 miles away) had trouble finding the truck with the options I wanted locally. We eventually agreed on a truck that was on a dealer lot about 250 miles away. My dealer traded a car for it (often done) and drove the truck back to their dealer and then to my house after they had the Line-x liner sprayed in. That's about 300-350 miles I expected. When I got it, it actually had 600+ miles on it and was built in November of 2016. My guess is that the dealer in Northern CA used the truck for a while, without disclosing it. By the time I got the truck, it was still in perfect condition and looked great after my inspection, so I didn't fret over the extra miles.

The two prior cars I bought from Ford were either ordered or I witnessed them come off the truck with all the plastic wrap still on them. So it did bug me a little when odometer didn't say 1 to 3 miles... "MUST STOP THINKING ABOUT IT"
They are called Demo's some dealerships give their salespeople demo's as well. In MD anyway you can sell a new car as a demo up to 6k miles not sure if thats nation wide or not
Old 02-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

i was looking at trading my lariat in for a leftover platinum back in early 2017, thinking i could get a good deal and not take too much of a bathe on my trade. i was wrong. that truck sat until may of 2017 (it was an early 16 build) because they didnt want to deal on it.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Killer95Stang

Had the same experience. My dealer traded 3 ford transits for mine. Mine did come from New Hampshire, so it had160 miles on it. I don't think any loaner miles
Old 02-02-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by mdphotographer
They are called Demo's some dealerships give their salespeople demo's as well. In MD anyway you can sell a new car as a demo up to 6k miles not sure if thats nation wide or not
yep, when I was exploring Chevy they were selling a loaner with 3k as new. I was in shock.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SCrewYou
i was looking at trading my lariat in for a leftover platinum back in early 2017, thinking i could get a good deal and not take too much of a bathe on my trade. i was wrong. that truck sat until may of 2017 (it was an early 16 build) because they didnt want to deal on it.
i noticed that too. They had the stance of "This is a hot deal, we can't move on it anymore"

i was dissapointed at the little dealing this was done on the dealers end. Rebates were good. Got it from dealer at invoice so fairly happy

Quick Reply: Are leftovers, leftover for a reason???