Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The King and I. Our first month together

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default The King and I. Our first month together

It was just a month ago that I pointed my 2000 F150 Lariat east and didn't stop until I arrived at our place in Denver. She passed 272,000 miles on the way, and now she's resting after 19 years of excellent service. The day after we arrived I took delivery of our new 19 KR. We drove her around Denver and the Rocky Mountains for a week or so before returning to California.

The following weeks have been fun and enjoyable as I get to know her, both from a driving perspective, as well as figuring out all of her features. I'm still finding things that I'd overlooked...simple things like "oh yeah, it has foglights," and "I completely forgot that the tailgate step also has a handle to help you up. I realized that until just a few days I'd not even looked under the hood. Everything looks nicely laid out and efficiently packaged. I just hope I never have to lay a wrench on anything in the engine bay except for changing oil and a battery.

I have been having fun getting her set up for my own comfort but there are still a few questions I have which I've not been able to find in the manual or online.

The one feature I haven't been able to find, and if it's not included I'm surprised as it's been standard on lots of cars these days is the ability to lower all the windows before you get in the car. On most cars with remote keys this is done by holding the unlock button down, but this does not do anything on my truck, and I can't find any mention of it.

Speaking of keys, the "MyKey" feature is curious. The manual refers to a "backup slot" which I found after watching a video online, but which seems completely silly. It's referred to as a "hidden key slot" and on my truck it's under the rubber mat in the forward cupholder, but it's not deep enough for the key, so you can't put the rubber mat or a commuter mug in it. What am I missing? Why even bother? Or is it just for programming the key?

Another question I have concerns leveling....is any recalibration of the cameras required after leveling? I'm not going to lift her, but with larger tires, even on 18" wheels and the front end higher, I wonder if the cameras will still work for backup assist, BLIS, and the 360 cameras. I have come to appreciate them as even though I live in the mountains, California is a place with lots of cars, small parking spaces, and crowded parking lots.

I am working on getting the trailer set up but I've not yet towed it somewhere with a level surface (our property has none) to set it all up. I wonder if there's a way to manually lock the tailgate that the key remote won't override. I'm still worried about dropping the tailgate on the trailer jack.

In closing, this truck is amazing. My expectations were high but it has exceeded them mightily. My old truck was a faithful and dependable tool, and I'll always love that old F150, but this new one is in another class and I'm looking forward to many years together.

Oh, I also got her washed yesterday. The great thing about white is that it doesn't show dirt, but yet when you wash white trucks you realize how much better they look. Now if Ford would just make that antenna easier to remove without a 3/8" open end wrench before you run it through a drive through.

Happy Trails!

-the Chief Gearhead
The following 2 users liked this post by ChiefGearhead:
mbrick (05-31-2019), speeddemon0712 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 AM

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

You can program the front windows to lower from the FOB with forscan.

The backup slot is just for when your battery dies so that you can start the truck in an emergency.
The following users liked this post:
mbrick (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM

Thank you!

-the CG

Originally Posted by truckerhat
You can program the front windows to lower from the FOB with forscan.

The backup slot is just for when your battery dies so that you can start the truck in an emergency.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The manual is hidden. open glove box and look above the open actual door compartment and youll see a black pouch. thats it.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:32 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

You should have the option in the instrument cluster to set the door locks to:
1) Unlock Drivers Door Only with one press.
2) Unlock All Doors including Tailgate with one press.

I have mine set to open everything, so that my tailgate isn't locked since I'm in and out of it a lot.
Also if it's locked and the Fob is in your pocket it will unlock and open.

Last edited by Masi1926; 08-06-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Pix, or it didn't happen.....
Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM

I’m sorry...I don’t understand your comment. What do you mean by “the manual”? I know where the Owner’s Manual is. Do mean something else?

-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-30-2019, 12:01 PM

I’m sorry...I don’t understand your comment. What do you mean by “the manual”? I know where the Owner’s Manual is. Do mean something else?

Originally Posted by F_150_18
The manual is hidden. open glove box and look above the open actual door compartment and youll see a black pouch. thats it.
-the ChiefGearhead
Old 05-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dalola
why do people want pics of a truck which are a dime a dozen on lots or just going down the road.
Its not like there are that many ways to make one unique so to say, Few color and interior choice
that will be in the hundreds on a lot ???????... like my limited its just a Ford truck with all the options
not that big of deal. If get into high end european luxury, yeah, you dont see many.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by dalola

The following 4 users liked this post by ChiefGearhead:
Crimson (05-30-2019), dalola (05-30-2019), Kingcuda13 (05-30-2019), mbrick (05-31-2019)

Quick Reply: The King and I. Our first month together