Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker Sub & ForScan Settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 376 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Kicker Sub & ForScan Settings

I ordered my XLT 302a with the Kicker Sub. It was expensive and I know I'd get a lot more going aftermarket, but I didn't want to take up space in the cab or potentially cut and splice harnesses in a brand new truck. It's okay, for some things it does very well, but for some frequencies it seems to really struggle and it's almost like it distorts even at relatively low volumes. Overall, I'm glad I got it, but I'm curious if anyone has played with ForScan settings for it--for instance, setting the Kicker audio setting to not configured but leaving the auxiliary sub enabled? I think there's also an option for eliminating the stock amp normalization or its tendency to remove bass with more volume.

I'm thinking removing the kicker sub option but leaving the aux sub option might help because it'll restore some bass to the door speakers and eliminate the crossover. Relying on the little 8" behind the seats for all bass doesn't seem ideal to me. Honestly, I'd just do it, but I panicked a little before because I changed a headunit related setting before and got a loud pop and the door chime started coming through the little dash speaker instead. It didn't mess anything up, but I don't want to mess with that too many times.

I'm curious about others' experience and to see if anyone found settings other than the normal Kicker+7 Speaker and aux sub enabled that are actually better.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 211 Likes on 142 Posts

look in the aftermarket section under stereo. plenty of threads about it.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

poly fill the kicker, that was the only way I could get rid of the distortion
The following users liked this post:
js312 (05-13-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by GP-SE
poly fill the kicker, that was the only way I could get rid of the distortion
Hadn't thought of that! Come to think of it, the distortion does sound like an air or hollow vibration issue, not a limitation of the sub driver.

I take it you pulled the sub driver and just lined the inside of the box as best as you could?
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

You do not want the door speakers playing the same low freqs as the sub. You will get cancellation and phase issues and hear even less bass than you do now.
Might use forscan to take out the factory tune, highpass the door speakers and lowpass the sub AND do the fiberfill trick.
That sub won't play real low so highpass the door speakers around 125 hz and lowpass the sub around 100 hz. Not sure what attenuation settings there are with forscan. Sometimes 25 hz isn't enough spread.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM

Polyfil made all the difference I was looking for.

The sub no longer sounds distorted/hollow, so I was able to bump bass up slightly on the headunit without it sounding bad. It's perfect now.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by js312
Polyfil made all the difference I was looking for.

The sub no longer sounds distorted/hollow, so I was able to bump bass up slightly on the headunit without it sounding bad. It's perfect now.
how much Polyfil did you add into the sub?

Quick Reply: Kicker Sub & ForScan Settings