Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kicker PF150SC15 VSS Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker PF150SC15 VSS Speaker Upgrade

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 F150 to the Kicker VSS PF150SC15 system. This system includes the amp and DSP for the factory door speakers as well. I contacted Kicker and they recommended not upgrading the factory speakers as the DSP is tuned specifically for those speakers, however I have heard of issues where the factory speakers can't handle the higher power. The "older" VSS systems included upgrades to the Kicker CS-series speakers. Has anybody upgraded their PF150SC15 system speakers to the Kicker CS (or other) speakers and noticed an improvement or degradation? I'm thinking the CS-series somewhat closely match the acoustics of the stock speakers, but I don't want to actually make things worse.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by nextelspe
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 F150 to the Kicker VSS PF150SC15 system. This system includes the amp and DSP for the factory door speakers as well. I contacted Kicker and they recommended not upgrading the factory speakers as the DSP is tuned specifically for those speakers, however I have heard of issues where the factory speakers can't handle the higher power. The "older" VSS systems included upgrades to the Kicker CS-series speakers. Has anybody upgraded their PF150SC15 system speakers to the Kicker CS (or other) speakers and noticed an improvement or degradation? I'm thinking the CS-series somewhat closely match the acoustics of the stock speakers, but I don't want to actually make things worse.

Thanks!
Well you're kinda right...the CS speakers are about as good (or crappy) as factory...if you wanna go Kicker - go with the KS68 speakers - the higher end kickers. You will notice a difference.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the Kicker system, or are you referring to an improvement over the stock system alone?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

I have(had) the factory sony system
Old 06-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The factory Sony speakers are only 25w, 4ohm. The rears were 2 way, I think the fronts were too. I don't think the CS's are as crappy as the factory speakers are though, they have a much higher RMS handling and likely have better sensitivity. The factory Sony's are poly cones which I was surprised with, but they are lightweight magnets and have seemingly less throw.

You're going to get an improvement with the speakers alone. I swapped all of mine for mid level Pioneer's (3 way rear, 4 way front, 2 way center) that are 90w RMS 4ohm. The biggest difference is the clarity and the punch, as well as that "volume dip" that the system does with bass hits at high volumes is gone with the upgraded speakers. The rears made almost no difference, likely due to the crossover signal going to them, but the fronts were much improved.

I wish we had a better more customizable EQ, I find that the sound when plugged in through USB using Android Auto is pretty poor, and theres no way to EQ the signal out so you're stuck with crappy bass/mid/high. On bluetooth I use a custom EQ out, and its amazing.

Quick Reply: Kicker PF150SC15 VSS Speaker Upgrade