Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keypad Fading / Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 11:22 PM
___

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keypad Fading / Cracking

Has anyone else's keypad on their driver door began to fade or have a crack-like appearance on the lettering? Seems like they have a clear coating on them which peels off over time. I don't even use mine, nor do I physically touch my truck to wash it more than maybe twice a year (sealed + touchless car wash). I ordered a replacement keypad (FL3Z-14A626-AD) for pretty cheap, but I'm hesitant to actually replace it because of potential rattles or issues which might come up if I've got to start removing trim or having the dealership do it. It's too dark to grab a photo right now, but I'll get one when it's light for anyone wondering what I'm talking about.

For reference, my truck is rather old at this point (2015 with late 2014 production date). My truck is always outside exposed to the sun since it's too tall to fit into the garage. I can't imagine this helps the issue.

Last edited by ___; 06-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 PM
___

Keypad Fading / Cracking-spes591.jpg
Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This maybe a stupid answer but could they have left the plastic on the keypad.
I seen plastic protection left on metal at my work and it looked like that.
It's hard to see from the photo.
Could just be a defective part it should be UV stable.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:57 PM
___

Originally Posted by Eddiegt
This maybe a stupid answer but could they have left the plastic on the keypad.
I seen plastic protection left on metal at my work and it looked like that.
It's hard to see from the photo.
I originally thought that as well, but on the first button (1-2), the outline (black print) is coming off the button.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, that looks terrible for its age. I definitely don't think that's normal. I know to replace it you do have to remove the door panel to get to the connector but looking at the new part you have, does it appear to be able to come apart and you can maybe just replace the actual soft buttons? I believe the keypad just clips in so you might be able to remove it, change the buttons, and put it back without making yourself susceptible to potential rattles and issues.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 PM
___

Originally Posted by jciesla
Wow, that looks terrible for its age. I definitely don't think that's normal. I know to replace it you do have to remove the door panel to get to the connector but looking at the new part you have, does it appear to be able to come apart and you can maybe just replace the actual soft buttons? I believe the keypad just clips in so you might be able to remove it, change the buttons, and put it back without making yourself susceptible to potential rattles and issues.
The whole keypad assembly stays in place with a metal retainer clip which has to be released from behind that B pillar trim, I believe.

I've got the part on the way, and whenever I'm due for my next oil change, the dealership said they'd try and get it on there. Spoke to them today and apparently a lot of people have had theirs replaced so they've got experience with them. Replacing it without scratching trim and creating rattles however is another story.

The sun was shining directly on my truck when I took this photo. The buttons are indeed faded, but not as bad as this photo portrays it.

Last edited by ___; 06-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 PM

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ___
The whole keypad assembly stays in place with a metal retainer clip which has to be released from behind that B pillar trim, I believe.

I've got the part on the way, and whenever I'm due for my next oil change, the dealership said they'd try and get it on there. Spoke to them today and apparently a lot of people have had theirs replaced so they've got experience with them. Replacing it without scratching trim and creating rattles however is another story.

The sun was shining directly on my truck when I took this photo. The buttons are indeed faded, but not as bad as this photo portrays it.
Gotcha. Well, good luck, hopefully that experience translates to experience doing it well. I'd probably take photos of inside and out just so you have documentation of its condition before taking it.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine on a 2017. Different problem, the catch at the top broke for some reason and it was falling out. It was straight forward but a pain. Door panel off, lock and outside door handle had to come off to get to the cable runs. One of those I'll do it quicker next time jobs. There's some you tube videos on the door panel and how to do the door handle. I got the catch for the door lock to the button at the top of the turned around so spent a bit of time getting it sorted with the remote but got it done.

Quick Reply: Keypad Fading / Cracking