Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just added a battery. Do I need to turn off battery monitoring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just added a battery. Do I need to turn off battery monitoring?

I just added a second battery to my truck to run a fridge fan and lights for camping. I used a yandina combiner to isolate the house battery.

Do I reallyneed to turn off the battery monitoring? What happens if I don't?

how do I turn it off?

i tried to to use forscan and it would not give me the option to turn it off. I have the trail license. Do I need a different license?

truck is a 2015 4 door with 5.0 and 4wd.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Last edited by Boatbuilder; 03-26-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:29 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,583 Likes on 972 Posts

Nice installation. For answers regarding your use of FORScan, post your Q in the FORScan thread. I take it you're using an isolater so that you may use the engine alternator to charge this second battery?

I plan on placing a second battery to run an Engel fridge but it will be completely isolated from the OE truck 12V system. I plan to charge it with a working solar charger setup I put together a couple of years ago.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:19 PM

I used the combiner 160 to charge the house battery from the alternator.

http://www.yandina.com/

I used 2awg welding cable to wire it up.

Last edited by Boatbuilder; 03-26-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a few questions for you.

First, where are you grounding your auxiliary battery?

Second, what OBDII adapter are you using, and what device (computer, phone, tablet, etc.)?
Old 03-26-2018, 12:57 PM

I tied the ground of the aux battery to the engine battery.
i am using the $30 USB elm tool with the toggle switch from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F0GVBWY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522083947&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ohp+ford+elm config&psc=1

i am using a MacBook Pro running windows 7 pro 64 bit

Last edited by Boatbuilder; 03-26-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Yes, you should disable battery monitoring. If you were simply paralleling two batteries, you'd be fine... but since you're using an isolation system, you'll have a large amount of capacity that's appearing and disappearing - which will confuse the computer.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

So if you ground to the battery you should disable the monitoring. The reason is the battery life monitor is attached to the ground and it measures the usage going through the ground strap. You could alternately ground the second battery to the frame or move your ground wire to the ground point the battery uses, this will make the battery look like any other load and the monitor will account for it. The hazard here is you may see a current rush into the backup battery that would exceed the capacity of the monitor. (I use a battery charger to connect my second battery so it will only pull about 30 amps max, but it's a lot more expensive).

Your setup should be able to access FORScan, I'm not positive about using a Mac though... if you can (check out the FORScan sticky) You will have to go into the BCM module and change the bit, there is not a simple toggle setup for that feature.

You will want to look in the BCM, address 726-04-01, and change the values to XXX0 XXXX XXXX (where you leave Xs alone and only change the 4th digit to "0").

See this document for a great explanation: FORScan Tutorial
Old 03-26-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
So if you ground to the battery you should disable the monitoring. The reason is the battery life monitor is attached to the ground and it measures the usage going through the ground strap. You could alternately ground the second battery to the frame or move your ground wire to the ground point the battery uses, this will make the battery look like any other load and the monitor will account for it. The hazard here is you may see a current rush into the backup battery that would exceed the capacity of the monitor. (I use a battery charger to connect my second battery so it will only pull about 30 amps max, but it's a lot more expensive).

Your setup should be able to access FORScan, I'm not positive about using a Mac though... if you can (check out the FORScan sticky) You will have to go into the BCM module and change the bit, there is not a simple toggle setup for that feature.

You will want to look in the BCM, address 726-04-01, and change the values to XXX0 XXXX XXXX (where you leave Xs alone and only change the 4th digit to "0").

See this document for a great explanation: FORScan Tutorial
when I go to that address there is no option to overwrite.
do I need a different license?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:24 PM

Ok

so I unplugged the sensor and I was able to get it turned off in forscan.

one thing I noticed was that my voltage on my deep cycle battery was at 12.75 and my truck battery was at 12.5.
this was after my truck had sat for 2 hours. I would have expected the truck battery to have more resting volts since the deep cycle had been running my fridge for a few cycles over 2 hours.

is this because of the bums or is my battery just weak?

is th

Quick Reply: Just added a battery. Do I need to turn off battery monitoring?