Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackass Body Shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Jackass Body Shop

Just copying this over from my deer vs truck thread...........

Just an update on my experience with my body shop (Beaver County Auto Collision Center in Beaver Falls, PA). I just talked to my estimator this morning from the body shop and he flat out told me they didn't want to do business with me. Why? I refused to have anything but new OEM parts installed on my 17k mile truck where he wanted to use a used headlight and aftermarket condenser and radiator. He said that was a requirement of Allstate which is not the case as I called them immediately afterwards. I also challenged them on their ridiculous prices on the parts that are straight up retail. He was shocked when I informed him that I could get the exact same parts for a lot less directly from Ford through places like Tasca. So come to find out also from Allstate that they have an interactive app they use called Virtual Assist where I have a real-time conversation with one of their adjusters that also includes video in real-time and they take screenshots of the damage to do their estimate. As it stands now, looks like I'm going to do all the repairs myself since it's mostly just cosmetic and bolt-on stuff, just may need to take it somewhere to get the A/C evac/recharge done.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Can you find ANY shop that will price match online parts supply places?

Part of their cost of running the business (and obtaining the part and the delivery of said part) and warranting the install are all part of the deal, so being shocked they don't get parts at the cheap price you find online is a bit of a stretch...

As to the OEM parts issue, that's between you, your insurer, and the body shop. No idea whats in your policy versus what is being promised, etc...
The following 2 users liked this post by MNgopher:
Slvr (05-15-2019), wchain (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Asking them to price match Tasca is unreasonable. They pay the Ford dealer a wholesale price that is going to be around the Tasca price and you pay them a markup. New vs serviceable used vs aftermarket is another story altogether.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
BCMIF150 (05-20-2019), Slvr (05-15-2019), wchain (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not being a jerk, but why not use a Ford Dealer?
The following users liked this post:
FordGate (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

That the OP can get parts for less than the shop is charging is irrelevant. That’s just the truth because of how body shops make their money. They make money on the parts and labor. They charge you full retail.

Even going to your friendly neighborhood fix-it shop, they do the same thing. They charge retail. Most of the mom and pop shops get their parts from places like Autozone and ORileys. Autozone charges you the same price they sell to the mom and pop shop. There is no MSRP or retail price. So, when the shop asks for the retail price, the policy when I was at Autozone was to double the price of the part. Therefore, the customer pays twice what they can buy it for directly from Autozone.

This is is simply a case of how it works....there is no conspiracy against you.

As for OEM, aftermarket, or used parts....you’ll just need to find a shop that will actually use new OEM parts...or do it yourself like you mentioned.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kingofwylietx:
Slvr (05-15-2019), wchain (05-17-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The only legitimate issue you have is the aftermarket vs oem parts being used.

Also if you want to use a body shop you will pay retail for parts. It's how the business works. I guess you'd rather them do it for free.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Can you find ANY shop that will price match online parts supply places?

Part of their cost of running the business (and obtaining the part and the delivery of said part) and warranting the install are all part of the deal, so being shocked they don't get parts at the cheap price you find online is a bit of a stretch...

As to the OEM parts issue, that's between you, your insurer, and the body shop. No idea whats in your policy versus what is being promised, etc...
Exactly this.

I would also add local laws to the oem parts issue. Here in MN the insurance company has to inform you on aftermarket parts usage. If you decline you get all oem. When I worked in MA. They could use aftermarket/used parts without telling you at any point after 12k miles.

I'm trying to figure out why a deer strike isn't covered under a comprehensive claim. And why op has to haggle prices/parts at all. That's what insurance is for
Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
Exactly this.

I would also add local laws to the oem parts issue. Here in MN the insurance company has to inform you on aftermarket parts usage. If you decline you get all oem. When I worked in MA. They could use aftermarket/used parts without telling you at any point after 12k miles.

I'm trying to figure out why a deer strike isn't covered under a comprehensive claim. And why op has to haggle prices/parts at all. That's what insurance is for
Insurances go cheap to Max profit!

My last Tacoma had comp damage and I drove it to the dealership leaking gas (not much) and left it there for them to do. All oem and didn't get any hassle which was surprising as I had cheap repairs done before.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Old man gold
Not being a jerk, but why not use a Ford Dealer?
For the repairs? Dealerships don’t do body work. Even if it’s all bolt on, they’ll refer you out.
The following users liked this post:
Scoobmaster (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon\
For the repairs? Dealerships don’t do body work. Even if it’s all bolt on, they’ll refer you out.
Most dealerships (at least in major markets) have a body shop on site. That doesn't mean their work is the best though.

Quick Reply: Jackass Body Shop