Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack of all trades

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack of all trades

Hey guys. My last post about an oil change mistake started out very informative but quickly turned into an argument between a few other members Haha. Let's try another one.
So since I changed the oil, and my book told me to. I decided to rotate my nice new tires. Now. I'm not a newby to working on cars and vans. But I haven't owned a truck in 15 years. I shunned them after my 1998 f150 short box reg. Cab turned out to be the biggest lemon I've ever owned and cost a small fortune. That and new trucks now cost a few fortunes. Anyways. Please take a look at my jack stand situation and let me hear your thoughts. The drivers side front stand has a 1/8" gap on the outer side of the frame, the passenger side seems flat. I spotted the stands just behind the cross member because in front of it where there's an arrow the frame was even more sloped. (I assume that's where the emergency jack is supposed to go for a flat)
Anyways. Let me know your thoughts. 4 years ago I couldn't have cared less and would have jacked it up without even looking but if you notice in the one pic there's a pair of tiny pink boots and she's learning how things work under a car. So now I care very much.
Oh also keep in mind I'm used to working on vw and Chrysler junk for the past 15 years...

Bit of gapage

Tiny pink boots

Jacked up the diff. Hope that's ok.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Are you asking if there is a problem with the frame, or if its safe to be under the truck?
Old 05-01-2019, 01:12 PM

No. The frame looks solid. It's more of a safe to be under it question I guess.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

i wouldn't have a problem being under there
Old 05-01-2019, 01:23 PM

I typically place 2x4 squares between the jack stand and frame so the jack doesn't dent the rails or gouge the paint. Never had even a slip. Might go for locking in to an access hole or straddling a member if letting the kids underneath, but those days are gone for me.

Thing about these trucks is... if you need to take a wheel off, you don't need to get under the truck. If you do need to get under the truck, the wheels keep the chassis high enough to keep you safe. Kinda hard to get injured under a full size truck, unless your THAT GUY, rotating tires with a single jack stand, on a 9º driveway.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
Thing about these trucks is... if you need to take a wheel off, you don't need to get under the truck.
You forgot about the 5 year olds who insist on helping do brake jobs. They can get much better leverage under the truck!

The following 2 users liked this post by mkraffert:
Dave's.Ruby.Lariat (05-01-2019), Mlarv (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Might want to consider eye protection for her. I made my boys wear eye and ear protection from a young age. Now it's second nature for them.

Edit: Glad to see your teaching her life skills.

Last edited by Jim10517; 05-01-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added
The following users liked this post:
mkraffert (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Get a set of these so they don't scratch or dent whatever you're using the jack stands for.

https://www.harborfreight.com/rubber...-pc-63373.html
Old 05-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Oh those covers are great. Thanks for the tip. Ya I let my boys crawl around under the car but not her, she helps hide the lugs (tresure) for me Haha... I agree about the space under with the wheels still on. Figured I could get out if it ever tipped over...
Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 PM

For those that don't use crawlers... go to your local military surplus store, or online, and get an old style military sleeping mat. These things are NOT for sleeping on the ground, they suck for that. What they are is: durable as hell, padded just enough to make laying in the driveway comfortable, and a bit slick, so it's easy to slide around on them.

I picked up two when I left the service in '92, they were already a bit aged, probably produced in the mid 80's. One I place under my backpacking tents to protect the floor, it looks the same as the day I bought it. The other has been used in the driveway for 27 years, I do all work on our vehicle except for transmission rebuilds. Crank bearing replacements, axle swaps, wheel bearings, exhaust, clutch swap, pressing in new bushings, body work... I've done it all. It's got stains from oil and grease, but physically appears to have at least another 20 years in it (I, however, don't!).

They are also great for keeping the kids from banging their heads while in there... I've wrapped one into the wheel well so if they slip while trying to man-handle a breaker bar, they hit the pad instead of the vehicle.

Great pictures, and enjoy the time while you've got it! Doesn't take long before a new pokegame or whatever is way more interesting to them than anything a parent has going on!

Quick Reply: Jack of all trades