Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've finished installing all the planned mods for my 2017 Lariat, for now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking I've finished installing all the planned mods for my 2017 Lariat, for now...

Along with a bunch of Forscan mods (disabled double horn honk and fake engine noice, used LED fogs as DRLs, turned on temp gauges, etc), I've installed the following mods on my three month old truck. Don't mind the dirt on the truck, pics were taken after a 10 day camping trip, and I wanted to document the equipment taken:

Yellow LED fog lights, used as DRLs. Stone-chip deflector, I don't drive on gravel roads often, but when I do, I'm glad that I don't have to worry about paint chips on my hood. Mostly.

BakFlip F1 fibreglass tonneau cover, and Line-X covered the bed. 99% waterproof, and good enough for me.

Yakima rails so that I can run my bike rack and/or cargo basket. The Yakima towers & bars pop off in 30 seconds, allows me to open up the BakFlip fully. And BullRing tie-downs

Bilstein 4600HD rears, and Husky rear liners. Also, Ford all weather front and back floor mats, and Husky under seat storage box.

I also installed a passenger side SwingCase, but I can't seem to find the pic for it. I'm also using the Rubbermaid storage basket inside the centre console/armrest.

I've only owned Hondas for 25+ years, and this is my first non-Honda vehicle. I upgraded from my 2006 Ridgeline at end of May. I loved my Ridgeline, but the trailer I bought this spring, along with all the cargo I taking camping, was a bit too much for it.
So far, knock on wood, I haven't experienced any issues that others have posted about here. Thanks for all the help and all the posts that everyone has submitted over the past six months, as this forum was what I mostly used to decide on the F150 over the Silverado/Sierra and the Canyon/Colorado.

Tony
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Man, the more I see those bed rails the more appealing they look... I kinda want a roof rack too...
Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Mall crawler

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks great! Care to share more information on the Yakima side rails? I don't see anything that looks like it on their site. How do they mount?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by excell
Looks great! Care to share more information on the Yakima side rails? I don't see anything that looks like it on their site. How do they mount?
Sorry, wrong term: they're called tracks, not rails. Installed by a local shop, Rack Attack. They also did the same install on my Ridgeline 8 years ago. Basically it's the standard Thule or Yakima tracks (they're almost identical), installed with plusnuts. Holes are drilled into the top of the bed rails, through the plastic caps. Plusnuts are installed, then the tracks are screwed to the plusnuts. Allows you to install whatever brand of track-mount tower you want. I've owned these yakima bars for 15+ years, used them on five different vehicles, plus my old pop-up tent trailer!

https://www.yakima.com/ca/54-tracks-w-plusnut-hardware

Tony
The following users liked this post:
excell (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM
Mall crawler

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingGonzo
Sorry, wrong term: they're called tracks, not rails. Installed by a local shop, Rack Attack. They also did the same install on my Ridgeline 8 years ago. Basically it's the standard Thule or Yakima tracks (they're almost identical), installed with plusnuts. Holes are drilled into the top of the bed rails, through the plastic caps. Plusnuts are installed, then the tracks are screwed to the plusnuts. Allows you to install whatever brand of track-mount tower you want. I've owned these yakima bars for 15+ years, used them on five different vehicles, plus my old pop-up tent trailer!

https://www.yakima.com/ca/54-tracks-w-plusnut-hardware

Tony
This is legit! Exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
GoingGonzo (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

belated welcome.

I'm sure the f150 is quite the upgrade from a unibody car. looks like you did your research all the way around.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by tareed94
Man, the more I see those bed rails the more appealing they look... I kinda want a roof rack too...
Yeah, I wish Ford would have installed tracks for roof rails. How hard would it be? The extra cost in engineering and materials would have been made back in spades with all the roof rails they could have sold as dealer options!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingGonzo
Yeah, I wish Ford would have installed tracks for roof rails. How hard would it be? The extra cost in engineering and materials would have been made back in spades with all the roof rails they could have sold as dealer options!
AGREED. You can add roof rails and roof racks, but I'm not sure what the bearing capacity is of the roof...