Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with Pre-collision assist w/aeb

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with Pre-collision assist w/aeb

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2019 Fort F-150 that has Pre Collision Assist with AEB. I can see the option in the Cluster, and when i first drove off the lot on my way home I got a few warnings that the Pre Collision system was disabled due to a blocked sensor. I took the truck back to the dealership and had a remote start installed, and advised them of the warning I was getting.

When i got the truck back I stopped receiving the error, I set the sensitivity to High and have been attempting on many occasions to activate the system (pulling up extremely close to another vehicle while driving down the road) and have never been able to get the system to kick in.

Is there an easier way to test the system, or something to check to ensure its working. I fear the dealership has somehow deactivated the system, or just quieted the warnings and that the system isn't actually working as it should. If thats the case I'd like to find some way to prove the system isn't working so I can show the dealership they done ****ed something up.

Any direction would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

I have only gotten two warnings, both when a vehicle was taking a right hand turn in front of me. Both times I was further back than when a approaching a stopped vehicle in front of me. I still have it on, but trust myself to make any decision about when to pee my tighty whiteys. It isn't all that it is cracked up to be in my humble opinion. My guess is that it senses something and if you are not already on the brake it warns you.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by remltr
I have only gotten two warnings, both when a vehicle was taking a right hand turn in front of me. Both times I was further back than when a approaching a stopped vehicle in front of me. I still have it on, but trust myself to make any decision about when to pee my tighty whiteys. It isn't all that it is cracked up to be in my humble opinion. My guess is that it senses something and if you are not already on the brake it warns you.
The last test I did was approaching a vehicle while going about 15 MPH on the gas, I got so close that you would have had a hard time walking between me and the other vehicle.. I slammed on my brakes before hitting them, and not once did i get a warning or anything. The other vehicle was a friend of mine working with me to test this.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

I get phantom warnings from time to time, but sadly the only real way to test this is to either get a huge inflatable animal in a parking lot and drive at it, or drive unsafe in traffic. It's like airbags, now do you know it's working unless you test them? Hopefully, i'll never have to test it.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:18 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My new one owner (me) 2019 502A Lariat 4x4 with lane keep, active cruise, AEB, etc... has less than 500 miles on it since picking it up 1/2/19 as a special order truck that had 5 miles on it then. I have noticed that it does NOT actively brake or show anything on the windshield or dash to show too close for comfort. I have it set to HIGH because I want it to work but have seen nothing to indicate it works. I have come up close to a few cars to see how it does but no love at all - no warning lights, no braking, nothing....This was closer than I would ever do too. Is this supposed to still have the red light that flashes on the windshield? or has it changed to an icon in the instrument cluster? The active cruise control and lane keep work perfectly and the active cruise control will brake hard if needed but not the AEB. What gives?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

You can get a large empty box, needs to be fairly big and place it in the road or a parking lot and drive at it to see if it activates. This is the safest way I have found.
The following 3 users liked this post by robbieg:
a67rs (09-16-2019), bsedwebt (02-20-2019), RubyRedX3 (12-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 2018 with the 502a package, I noticed that the system does not sense a vehicle until doing 20 mph. Then a vehicle symbol shows up ( just above the PRDM) if a vehicle is within range. Sometimes when getting close to a vehicle a yellow glow comes on below the vehicle symbol. All this tells me that the system is picking up the vehicle in front of me. The problem is I just can't get the system to bring up an alert. I've taken it in twice to different dealerships and they indicate that the system is working but I don't know how they can tell this. Funny part is every once in a while the system will alert when I didn't really expect it to come on ( this is rare). When I really expect it to come on it doesn't. If the system is working normally as the dealership indicates then it's a pretty useless warning system.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08 AM

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi. I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering if this ever got resolved. I have a 2019 with about 500 miles on it and I have been trying to get this to function since I got the truck. The system is on and set to high sensitivity. Yesterday, I had the cruise on and let it run up hard on the car in front of me. I got within about 10 ft of the car in front of me at 50 mph and was closing fairly fast. I am sure it would have rear-ended the car if I did not intervene. I didn't get a warning or any braking. Is this normal and if so, when can I expect it to activate?
Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 AM

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,819 Posts

I cannot comprehend how and why people are trying to activate automatic emergency braking out on the street as a "test"

If the system didn't activate and you didn't hit the other car, you didn't need AEB to do anything.

FWIW, my experience with a similar system (doesn't actively brake though) in a different vehicle shows heightened sensitivity to scenarios where the vehicle in front of you abruptly slows or stops and you don't immediately follow suit. Tailgating a constant speed vehicle in traffic isn't really what it's meant to act on. These systems are surprisingly well programmed and "smart" and seem quite good at recognizing when you're changing lanes or going around somebody or just tailgating like a jerk. Also note that, per the manual, AEB is NOT ACTIVE during aggressive acceleration or maneuvering (or some such similar wording). Again I'm pretty sure what they are really directed towards is the vehicle in front of you abruptly slowing or stopping and you don't respond quickly enough, or it happens so fast you can't react as quick as the car can, or somebody pulls or runs out in front of you, etc.

Please don't try to activate your AEB using real vehicles or people.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 07-19-2019 at 01:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by blkZ28spt:
ELMN80R (02-20-2020), Matt Huebner (09-09-2021), mbrick (06-09-2022)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2019 and drive in heavy daily traffic, and can confirm the system works when you expect it. The first time it went off I had to change my underwear, but it was 100% spot on. Vehicles in front of me slowed without warning and I was slower to react than I should've been. It did not actively brake, I had plenty of time to slow. I think that's the point in the programming of the feature -- if it senses you're closing the gap too quickly on an object in front of you, it will warn you.

FWIW, I have the sensitivity set to normal and I do have the AEB option still turned on, but I've always been the one to slow the vehicle.

Last edited by agtcovert; 07-19-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Issue with Pre-collision assist w/aeb