Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Perspective on Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Since there has been numerous conversations on Ford engines, particularly Ecoboost, I found an article you may enjoy. BTW, the title is misleading as the author is NOT bashing Ford but instead giving props! http://jalopnik.com/fords-ecoboost-i...eme-1733576779

Admittedly, I always assumed Ecoboost was a new technology.

Last edited by Maybe2ndFord; 09-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lockelamora (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 72 Likes on 30 Posts

I remember my step dad buying the first F150 with the eco boost. I didn't care to know much about cars back then, but when i asked him what was so great about it he went into this whole description of how "the exhaust is directed back into the engine to do blah blah blah, better efficiency better power."

So i was like "oh wow, that's cool".

Then he passed away, then I gained knowledge on engines/vehicles and realized he was just describing how a turbo worked.

He's not with us anymore, so I'll never know if he was just dumbing down a "turbo" for me, or if he really thought it was some new technology from ford that no one had done before. I could see both scenarios being 100% possible.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I think EcoBoost wouldn't have had as much impact if they had not largely launched it with the F-150. They did all those videos on its performance, longevity, etc. It was hard not to get caught up.

And it is winning hearts and minds. A guy I work with just traded in his BMW for a 1.6L Ecoboost Fusion, and he is in love with his new car. He keeps talking about how he can't believe how quick it is for a 1.6L.

It may not be new tech overall, but Ford found a way to get people to try it, in huge numbers, in the F-150, Fusion, Explorer, etc.

I wish someone would do an article on EcoBoost engines in response to all the times I see people compare something like the 3.5L EcoBoost in the F-150 to a larger V8 engine and when people say, "The 3.5L EcoBoost barely gets better mileage than the 5.0, so what's the point?", and they completely skip over the higher HP and Torque numbers, the better power band, and the better 0-60 times from the EcoBoost engine while also having that slightly higher MPG. The 3.5L Eco isn't competing with or trying to replace the 5.0, it's competing with/trying to replace the 6.2L. An engine that couldn't even dream of the mileage the 5.0 or 3.5 get.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The EcoBoost tech is not about the turbo tech or the direct injection its about the software and designe that that allow a relatively high compression engine with very high boost levels to survive and thrive on 87 octane reg gas in the hands of every day drivers
Old 09-30-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

The article is right that 'Ecoboost' is just marketing BS. Ford was hardly the first company to discover direct injection and turbochargers--they just found a way to make it sound like something it's not.

No different than the Dodge Hemi, the GM Vortec, or the Mazda with Skyactiv.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The EcoBoost tech is not about the turbo tech or the direct injection its about the software and designe that that allow a relatively high compression engine with very high boost levels to survive and thrive on 87 octane reg gas in the hands of every day drivers
You make a good point. A lot of people are surprised when they find out my twin turbo engine can run on regular. But I think this also works against Ford a bit as there do seem to be so many people, including those that own these engines, that think they need premium.

I think Ford is unique with the EcoBoost line that they got the vehicles to run well on regular unleaded, even if it isn't full power.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:03 AM