Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed 2013 seat into my 2015 F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Installed 2013 seat into my 2015 F150

So I was able to successfully install the seat from a 2013 F150 into my 2015 F150. I did this because I've had multiple surgeries on my back and could never get comfortable in my 2015.

The seat actually plugs in and the power seat works just fine. Only issue is the airbag light came on now. The seat has an airbag, and is in good shape.

Anyone have any ideas how to get the airbag light off? IS there a way to pull a fuse to get the light to turn off? Any help would be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails Installed 2013 seat into my 2015 F150-img_1356.jpg   Installed 2013 seat into my 2015 F150-img_1357.jpg  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure I'd call that successfully installed, but it's installed I'll give you that. Too bad about the surgery and issues with the seat. I don't think anyone would recommend doing what you did, but it's a free country and it won't hurt anyone else.

Glad you found a solution that works for you!

It's unlikely pulling a fuse would get rid of the light, if you do happen to find a fuse for the airbags it'd likely just cause more faults. You should check out ebay to see if there are any airbag eliminators that would work. It's pretty common in the aftermarket for cars when owners swap out the factory seats for some sort of "racing" seat. It's usually just a resistor that matches the resistance of the airbag module in the seat, forcing the computer to think there's an airbag there.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Before pulling any fuses, I would pull the dash and take out the light behind the airbag light.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I would take it to a professional shop to take a look at the install. I wouldn’t mess with a seat, especially that all the safety tests are based on a specific set up. It’s not worth the risk if you get into an accident.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by PAKINGRANCH13
I would take it to a professional shop to take a look at the install. I wouldn’t mess with a seat, especially that all the safety tests are based on a specific set up. It’s not worth the risk if you get into an accident.
Adding onto this, an insurance company might deny your claim in the event of an accident with personal injury due to not having the factory seat in / the new one not professionally installed.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a lot going on here and much more than simply changing out a seat. A professional shop won't touch it due to liability reasons. If you were involved in an accident your insurance would definitely deny the personal injury portion of the claim if you were injured. I am pretty sure that the computer in the truck will not recognize the seats airbag and again a shop won't touch it. With the original seat gone you have flushed the re sale of the truck down the toilet. No one would touch that truck on a re sale and if you did happen to sell it to someone and did not divulge the alteration, you could be held responsible down the line if an accident occurred. If I was in your situation I would send the original seat to an upholstery shop and have them pad it where it is needed and keep the original air bag operable. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Folks, these all have nothing to do with OP's question.

OP - you have to use a scanner to clear the code

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Before pulling any fuses, I would pull the dash and take out the light behind the airbag light.
Originally Posted by PAKINGRANCH13
Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Adding onto this, an insurance company might deny your claim in the event of an accident with personal injury due to not having the factory seat in / the new one not professionally installed.
Originally Posted by 50thpony
There is a lot going on here and much more than simply changing out a seat. A professional shop won't touch it due to liability reasons. If you were involved in an accident your insurance would definitely deny the personal injury portion of the claim if you were injured. I am pretty sure that the computer in the truck will not recognize the seats airbag and again a shop won't touch it. With the original seat gone you have flushed the re sale of the truck down the toilet. No one would touch that truck on a re sale and if you did happen to sell it to someone and did not divulge the alteration, you could be held responsible down the line if an accident occurred. If I was in your situation I would send the original seat to an upholstery shop and have them pad it where it is needed and keep the original air bag operable. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:19 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisingrassia

They may not, but the liability and re sale comments are for real. I don't care if you clear a code or not, the truck is still altered regardless! You cannot dismiss that fact.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:32 AM

Sometimes people do something and ask a question about it and get an answer to something that they didn't even ponder. Even though it may not be an answer to his original question, it is still very important info to get out there.
The following users liked this post:
50thpony (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Maybe, I thought about that. I think the light would go out on its own once he plugged the new seat in. I'm betting that they're not compatible, different resistance perhaps.

He'll know pretty quick if the light comes back on.