Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have cosmetic defects this might make you feel just a little better

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 05:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default If you have cosmetic defects this might make you feel just a little better

Recently I bought a 2016 f150. The car salesman (my states top rated salesman of the year for several yeas in a row) did a typical "car salesman" move on me and left me more then disappointed in him and this sale (and had the nerve to leave me a voicemail about why his survey rating wasnt a perfect 5 star after being blown off for complaining about the paint issues)
Long story short, they had to get my truck from another Lot that had the configuration I wanted 25 minutes away and had me sit there for 4 hours waiting till it got dark so I wouldn't see all the defects along with all the touch up paint they put all over it to dry!! Some people have misaligned panels, chips, bubbles, terrible tooling marks, ripples, wavey panels, dings, warped dashes, ect. Well mine has all of them to the point I swore it was in an accident. I've beaten myself up on this purchase over and over thinking I got the worst F150 every made and waisted my money.... till I decided to go look at other new F150's. I went to most of the Ford dealerships in my area, looked at least 40+ if not more of them closely at all trim levels. There was not a single one close to perfect what so ever to the point where anyone tells me they have a perfect one I wouldn't believe it or they don't have the eye for detail and of course there will be 100 people chiming in saying theirs is perfect. Every single one I looked at had bad tooling ripples and waves around the handles and rear top of the bed corner some worse then others, some had the ripple going 3/4 the way down the door but every one of them had it to some degree. For the door alignment issue almost every 4 door truck had this to some degree along with the occasional hood I would say around 5% were acceptable but not perfect by no means. Some were so unrealistic I have no idea how they left the plant that way. Every single one had the dash warped some worse then others but none that I would be ok with. Almost all had paint imperfections to some degree that I spotted way to easily like dirt in the paint (mostly on the hood) bubbles (some popped and rough and one Platinum so bad had bubbles from top to bottom of the box leading edge by the cab), some had runs, chips ect and some so bad with defects that I just had to laugh thinking how they let these out of the factory. Needless to say very few that I would say were acceptable. I also noticed most of them had the shallow dings like mine has (4 of them) that irritate the heck out of me.
My point is you are not alone and If you want a new F150 then this is todays "Ford Quality" no matter if you bought the one you have or a different one off the lot it will still have imperfections wether same type of defects or different ones. What made me feel just a little better and hope it does you is after my research, the truck that I though was the worst F150 ever made just upgraded to an average typical quality F150 that most of us have.

Last edited by sidcon; 07-28-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:13 AM

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

I have a very discerning eye and my new F150 has none of the defects you mentioned.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

My son purchased a new F 150 XLT about a month ago, and I went along to inspect said vehicle when it was ready to pickup. After reading some of the horror stories on these new vehicles, I spent the better part of 2 hours looking over the truck. From door and hood alignment, paint issues, interior fitment, dash warp, and I have to say, I was pleased not to find anything.I did the same thing when I purchased my truck in 2012(which I still have) and found more than a few items on mine that needed to be addressed.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:44 AM

Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I looked at 50 or so F150's 2 days ago. Noticed 3 with hoods with really bad alignment and quite a few crews with misaligned doors. The vast majority looked acceptable to me but maybe I'll look a bit closer next time, it was after dark.

I'm still planning on buying a 2017 4x4 crew probably 5.0. Maybe 3.5. Think the f150 is still the best choice over GM and Dodge.

The thing that really irritates me, I want Oxford white and the plastic trim on everyone does not match ! Two different shades of white.

Very annoying looking at some of the crews and seeing that body line on the lower part of the doors not lined up on many of them, not to mention the door gaps not being consistent.
No doubt I'll be looking real close at the truck that I'm about to purchase.

Last edited by Chris70; 07-28-2016 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Add on
Old 07-28-2016, 06:01 AM

Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Just to be clear the body line I'm talking about is a few inches up from the bottom of the doors kind of like a seam. Many of the crews that line was not matched up from the front door to the back. Looked pretty bad but if you squat down closer to eye level its even worse.
Most of the trucks were parked very close together so it was hard to get a good look on many.

Last edited by Chris70; 07-28-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I really have to question the OPs grading. Quite pleased with my 15. Is it 100% perfect? No but nothing in life rarly is. When you have to fine tooth comb something, someone's got a problem.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 AM

Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Whatever makes you feel better.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

give me a porshe, bmw, or ferri and ill show you some imperfection in it.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can on,y imagine having to work or interact with a guy like the OP on a daily basis. Are the truck perfect, No. Would I waste my time looking at 40 plus vehicles, heck no. You probably need a therapist more then a body shop.
The following users liked this post:
runningW (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nckeith
I can on,y imagine having to work or interact with a guy like the OP on a daily basis. Are the truck perfect, No. Would I waste my time looking at 40 plus vehicles, heck no. You probably need a therapist more then a body shop.
He has a point, to a point. I wouldn't be happy if it were my vehicle. On my 2012, I did pick it up from the dealer as it was getting dark.I had the salesperson drive it into the service bay so I could look it over. If he had have said no, I would have waited till the next day when it was light.

Quick Reply: If you have cosmetic defects this might make you feel just a little better