Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you get your 2018 5.0 computer updated it will clunk

Old 04-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default If you get your 2018 5.0 computer updated it will clunk

The new flash pcm computer update causes the intake manifold runners to open and close at a faster speed.. thus causing a clunk. Its loudest when torque is highest (climbing hill, pulling a camper). I have verified this on a few trucks. No clunk - updated - clunk. Now the ford dealer after WEEKS just told me the same thing.
"The recent calibration is causing the intake manifold runner control to open and close harder. The noise is normal and will not affect the mechanical operation of the vehicle."

So.. they are not fixing it. There is no fix. They said they CAN"T roll the programming back to the original. I know I can get someone elses original and slap it on my truck using forscan.. I either have to do that and worry about future warranty concerns OR get rid of the brand new truck.

Wanted to give everyone a heads up. Do NOT get your truck updated.

(If you think you have this problem, unplug the vac port on the front of the manifold. I have photo. Clunk goes away. Check engine light comes on but goes off after you plug it back in and drive it a bit)
Old 04-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

What is the number of the TSB you are refering to that you had performed?

Originally Posted by arcticcatmatt
The new flash pcm computer update causes the intake manifold runners to open and close at a faster speed.. thus causing a clunk. Its loudest when torque is highest (climbing hill, pulling a camper). I have verified this on a few trucks. No clunk - updated - clunk. Now the ford dealer after WEEKS just told me the same thing.
"The recent calibration is causing the intake manifold runner control to open and close harder. The noise is normal and will not affect the mechanical operation of the vehicle."

So.. they are not fixing it. There is no fix. They said they CAN"T roll the programming back to the original. I know I can get someone elses original and slap it on my truck using forscan.. I either have to do that and worry about future warranty concerns OR get rid of the brand new truck.

(If you think you have this problem, unplug the vac port on the front of the manifold. I have photo. Clunk goes away. Check engine light comes on but goes off after you plug it back in and drive it a bit)
Old 04-26-2019, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
What is the number of the TSB you are refering to that you had performed?
When you go in with a TSB.. they don't "apply the TSB". Ford has a new calibration update to your pcm. That module gets reflashed to the latest and greatest.
I went initially went in for
18-2274 - harsh shift
18-2354 - engine rattle

KTFK5B6.H32 is the calibration last I checked.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Once I learned that the clunk was intake runners and not the transmission I ceased caring. Just another engine noise to me.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikeinatlanta:
brandon\ (06-20-2019), Full Boost (06-27-2019), gregsf150stx (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

The dealer can do it via IDS. They just need to download the file and flash it. I don't believe that is within the scope of Forscan, and I don't believe there is any way to just "get someone elses original". I always download a backup of my current calibration before updating to newer just for this reason.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:32 PM

You would care if its as loud as mine. Everyone that rides in it makes a comment.. going up hills and pulling something makes it loud every single time I get off the gas pedal. The tech told me that ford told him that they cannot go back to original calibration.

Last edited by arcticcatmatt; 04-28-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Ford has had my truck for over 40 days in and out.. for the engine rattle and this clunk.. The rep on the phone is the most unfriendly woman I have ever spoken with.. Kim. Regional manager. She could give a rats *** what I think. They are saying my noises are all normal. HA

1. Buy truck. No noises.
2. Hear under hood rattle and harsh shifts
3. Truck is reprogrammed by dealer because TSB for the rattle and shifts
4. TSB does nothing, still rattles and now there is a clunk on decel under load.. higher load, the louder the clunk
5. Ford determined noise is from intake manifold. New manifold goes on. Clunk still there. Ford dealer tells me all vehicles are doing this after being reprogrammed.
6. Ford area manager tells me "normal characteristic" and gets off phone with me.

Are you kidding me???
Old 06-17-2019, 04:47 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

Here is a question for those who know the system. How does the runner valve actuate? Would it be possible to slow it a bit with a restrictor in the vacuum line or elsewhere internally?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 AM

I'm about to try something like that but I need to figure out how this operates first. I love the truck but this issue will cause me to trade it in.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM

Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts

Ford has had my truck for over 40 days in and out.. for the engine rattle and this clunk.. The rep on the phone is the most unfriendly woman I have ever spoken with.. Kim. Regional manager. She could give a rats *** what I think. They are saying my noises are all normal. HA

1. Buy truck. No noises.
2. Hear under hood rattle and harsh shifts
3. Truck is reprogrammed by dealer because TSB for the rattle and shifts
4. TSB does nothing, still rattles and now there is a clunk on decel under load.. higher load, the louder the clunk
5. Ford determined noise is from intake manifold. New manifold goes on. Clunk still there. Ford dealer tells me all vehicles are doing this after being reprogrammed.
6. Ford area manager tells me "normal characteristic" and gets off phone with me.

Are you kidding me???
Welcome to Ford "Customer Service". I have a laundry list of horror stories dealing with them.

Good luck getting it fixed. I wouldn't blame you if you ditched it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you get your 2018 5.0 computer updated it will clunk