Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle stumble after refueling

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:15 AM

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Idle stumble after refueling

I have noticed that after fueling, when I restart I have developed a stumble or surge in idle. Has anyone else experienced this problem? It goes away rather quickly, like within 10 minutes. Has me stumped.

2016 supercrew, 2wd, 2.7 ecoboost. (52,000 miles)
Old 03-16-2019, 05:54 AM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Since it seems to be temporary at refueling, as a guess I would say it's due to increased vapor pressure. Things get stirred up causing light ends mixed in the gasoline like butane, even ethanol to evaporate more quickly in the fuel lines. Once they pass through back to normal? Is it more noticeable in winter? Do fuel lines run close to the exhaust or engine causing a little old school vapor lock?
The following users liked this post:
tdog02 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I have 2015 2.7 4x4 and also have the same stumble/ mis fire after I fill up.
note: I have refueled at 3 -4 different gas stations thinking it could be the gas.
tdog02 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

I have noticed the same thing. I thought it might have been water in the gas but it does it at different gas stations.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyforfood
I have noticed the same thing. I thought it might have been water in the gas but it does it at different gas stations.
This this is what I think. Every time you fill up you emulsify that water into the gas which doesn't like to burn very well in the engine and then it settles out to the bottom of the tank again waiting for the next fill to get churned up again. It only takes filling up at a gas station with bad gas once to cause repeat issues.
tdog02 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I remember reading about an emissions evap canister or solenoid that may have to be replaced but I can't remember where I read that. It is comforting to know I am not the only one but there must be a simple fix for this?

Interesting theory SSowinski, I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I was worried it was evap emissions related or possibly a heat soak issue, I'm still stumped.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Any water that is present in the fuel (usually none) will settle to the bottom of a fuel tank. Fuel pumps also pull from the bottom of a fuel tank. In the rare event that water is introduced into a vehicle it is brought to me on a tow truck. Water doesn’t stay suspended in fuel, it stays separated and settles. So this will not be the cause of a misfire.

I must first disclose that I have not attempted to diagnose a misfire only after fuelling. This will be difficult to confirm which is the very first part of diagnosis. My best guess would be that fuel mixture strategy is being adjusted to accommodate for the burning of vapor stored within the canister. When pressure is relieved the fuel strategy is then inaccurate until stabilized. Perhaps a malfunctioning vent solenoid sticking closed? I stress the work GUESS, but I’d love to take on the challenge of diagnosing this, hopefully not to conclude an engineering fault....
tdog02 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tapping fuel off may cause all sort of issues related to evap system and idle. Never tap fuel off. If raw fuel gets inside evap hose, it will mess up evap solenoid. Idle may be rough plus ecu may throw out evap error codes.
Friend of mine was tapping fuel off periodically. Evap system mulfuctioned costing him an expensive repair.
If you suspect a water presence in your fuel tank, add Amsoil Quick Shot, it will dispurse water molecule within fuel, plus it will clean fuel injectors and intake valves (port injection).

Quick Reply: Idle stumble after refueling