Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Icon Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Icon Rear Shocks

I was wondering if anyone on here was running the Icon VS 2.0 Rear Shocks yet? If so, are they too stiff on-road?
They have a specific part number for a 2015, so I would assume they've valved them specially for the new F150. Not sure if the truck's weight difference matters much.
I've always run Bilstein and Fox in the past, but thought these might be a nice change.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon rear shocks

Originally Posted by thatdudethere
I was wondering if anyone on here was running the Icon VS 2.0 Rear Shocks yet? If so, are they too stiff on-road?
They have a specific part number for a 2015, so I would assume they've valved them specially for the new F150. Not sure if the truck's weight difference matters much.
I've always run Bilstein and Fox in the past, but thought these might be a nice change.
Have had them installed for a few months now. Don't notice any difference in ride. They do use 1/2 inch mounting bolts and I chose to run a 1/2 inch drill through the mounting holes on the truck and nstall new 1/2 inch bolts. The original bolts are slightly smaller and cause clunking noise. I didn't want to use shims.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

HUGE improvement to stability. I have the FX4 package and the rear end would hop whenever I hit a semi-significant bump in the road. It was actually unnerving at times and felt like I might lose control. I don't know how many others have felt this, but I never had that in my Tundra.

After installing the Icon's, the rear end stays put and tracks normally regardless of the size of the bump. Highly recommend this mod.
The following 2 users liked this post by gotstocks:
kendive (10-06-2015), tomjv (03-15-2017)
Old 09-02-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by gotstocks
HUGE improvement to stability. I have the FX4 package and the rear end would hop whenever I hit a semi-significant bump in the road. It was actually unnerving at times and felt like I might lose control. I don't know how many others have felt this, but I never had that in my Tundra.

After installing the Icon's, the rear end stays put and tracks normally regardless of the size of the bump. Highly recommend this mod.
Awesome! You don't find them too stiff? That was only my concern after reading ride-quality reviews on the 2009-2013.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome! You don't find them too stiff? That was only my concern after reading ride-quality reviews on the 2009-2013.
Just want to interject a thought... Don't be too quick to associate rough with something negative. As you increase the performance of the shocks you increase their traction, they hug the road better and in turn hug the bumps more as well. So while you may feel an increase in overall bumpiness it comes with control and performance. It's not a stiffness like stock shocks that are worn out or coil springs that have been cut for lower ride heights. Going Fox, Icon, etc is the right way to do it. Plus Icon's 2" shocks are a milder upgrade say vs their 2.5" or the remote 2.5". I expect a stiffer ride from performance shocks with higher spring rates, that's what gives you the sportier ride. Just my .02.
The following users liked this post:
tomjv (03-15-2017)
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by yugnat
Just want to interject a thought... Don't be too quick to associate rough with something negative. As you increase the performance of the shocks you increase their traction, they hug the road better and in turn hug the bumps more as well. So while you may feel an increase in overall bumpiness it comes with control and performance. It's not a stiffness like stock shocks that are worn out or coil springs that have been cut for lower ride heights. Going Fox, Icon, etc is the right way to do it. Plus Icon's 2" shocks are a milder upgrade say vs their 2.5" or the remote 2.5". I expect a stiffer ride from performance shocks with higher spring rates, that's what gives you the sportier ride. Just my .02.
I know what you're saying. I guess a better choice of word would have been "harsh."

Sometime it is hard to get legitimate feedback because a lot of times people couple the install of new, good shocks with the upgrade from P-metric tires to 10-ply and attribute the differences in ride to the shocks.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can collapse the 2.0 with your bare hands. I couldn't collapse the factory ones. The rebound is where you see the difference, not in the compression.

The coilovers on the other hand, do give you a stiffer and bumpier ride (compounded by the BFG KO2). I've toyed with the idea of going back to a leveling spacer (now that they are designed correctly) and selling my icon fronts just because of the bumpy ride.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by sbash
You can collapse the 2.0 with your bare hands. I couldn't collapse the factory ones. The rebound is where you see the difference, not in the compression.
Interesting. I've installed quite a few Icon shocks, and they typically require a helper to get them compressed during install. While off the truck, you can only get them to compress with your whole body weight on top of them.

I know however that none of this extrapolates to a 4800lb truck. I guess I'll put in the order and try to install them tomorrow or Friday.
tomjv (03-15-2017)
Old 10-06-2015, 04:35 PM
F150 Forum

Received 235 Likes on 210 Posts

Spacers over ICON shocks? That is a huge downgrade in offroad performance and will limit shock travel. How high to you have them cranked that they are riding rough?

We offer to options to soften the ride; lighter springs and the CDC adjustable dampening option.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Interesting. I've installed quite a few Icon shocks, and they typically require a helper to get them compressed during install. While off the truck, you can only get them to compress with your whole body weight on top of them.

I know however that none of this extrapolates to a 4800lb truck. I guess I'll put in the order and try to install them tomorrow or Friday.
I have the Icon Stage 2 installed and it feels great. I also was able to compress the rear shocks by hand as well and it didn't require my whole body weight. I'm very happy with the ride.

Only thing I'd like to do now is either go spacers in the back or get some new springs to bring the rear up a tad. I'm about 1/2-3/4" low in the back.

Quick Reply: Icon Rear Shocks