Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have figured out this whole raptor ride thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 197 Likes on 138 Posts

Default I might have figured out this whole raptor ride thing

So I know I've started a few threads about this and I was just about to give up but I have one last thought. Wanted to run it by you guys and get your $.02 on it. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it's got potential. This would not be used off road, but just to give the amazing cloud like ride to a DD truck.

Rear: simply run a lighter leaf from a truck with a lighter pack. A guy with a 2015 platinum got one from a xl and said it was much smoother but the rear sagged an inch lower than stock. So run that out back with fox 2.0s and air bags, along with a block 1" taller than what comes with the BDS 4" lift kit. That will net me the same lift as the 4" kit but Ill have softer springs and air bags to compensate. Also I would continue to run my hellwig bar to maintain stability.

Front: Install the 4" BDS lift with the diff drop brackets. Then get a set of 6" longer fox 2.0s valved the same as those on the 09-14 raptor and replace the springs with an equivalent ratio as the ones on those year raptors. (IE: if those raptors run 450lb springs maybe I would run 415lb springs.) These springs will not lift the front of the truck the necessary 4" up front because of the lighter springs so the 2" longer length than the standard 4" is necessary to achieve the desired 4" lift up front. During downtravel my front suspension would only travel as far as factory suspension with a 2" spacer and while there would be more uptravel than stock, the lift kit would give more room between the tires and fenders to prevent rubbing. I might have to look into a front raptor swaybar or the hellwig front swaybar to help keep the truck stiff in turns.

Thoughts? I know I can get a midtravel kit for the same cost that would but much better but I want to run factory width and would like to maintain stock CV angles. Baja kits mid travel kit looks like it has pretty harsh CV angles, plus it is much wider than stock.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

So basically you want a lift that is nothing like the Raptor.
The following users liked this post:
AricsFX (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Basically I want a truck that is stock width and has the plush ride of the raptor all around. Not the stiff ride of the fox 2.0s, halos, or icons. From previous discussions, the problem is in stock configuration the f150 does not have enough wheel travel to accept such soft springs without the concern of bottoming out. Ideally I'd like to get just a set of better shocks without lifting, but my understanding is it is not that simple.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 877 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by baxzilla
Basically I want a truck that is stock width and has the plush ride of the raptor all around. Not the stiff ride of the fox 2.0s, halos, or icons. From previous discussions, the problem is in stock configuration the f150 does not have enough wheel travel to accept such soft springs without the concern of bottoming out. Ideally I'd like to get just a set of better shocks without lifting, but my understanding is it is not that simple.
What plush ride? My buddy had a raptor and it wasn't any plusher than my setup.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by antho
What plush ride? My buddy had a raptor and it wasn't any plusher than my setup.
I went for a ride with my friend who had a 2014 raptor and it just felt so smooth. Couldn't feel potholes or anything. His was bone stock. Was the one you rode in running stock wheels and tires?
Old 04-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Sounds like a giant waste. Just get some fox or king 2.5s with the adjustable compression rate, and some good upper control arms. My king 2.5s and RPG uppers had a great ride. Just get a good midtravel kit without spindles and call it a day... get some deaver leaf springs, and some 2.5s in the rear and you'll be good.

Don't go for 2.0s. Doesn't ride any better than stock shocks.
The following users liked this post:
baxzilla (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 500 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by baxzilla
So I know I've started a few threads about this and I was just about to give up but I have one last thought. Wanted to run it by you guys and get your $.02 on it. Maybe it's dumb, maybe it's got potential. This would not be used off road, but just to give the amazing cloud like ride to a DD truck.

Rear: simply run a lighter leaf from a truck with a lighter pack. A guy with a 2015 platinum got one from a xl and said it was much smoother but the rear sagged an inch lower than stock. So run that out back with fox 2.0s and air bags, along with a block 1" taller than what comes with the BDS 4" lift kit. That will net me the same lift as the 4" kit but Ill have softer springs and air bags to compensate. Also I would continue to run my hellwig bar to maintain stability.

Front: Install the 4" BDS lift with the diff drop brackets. Then get a set of 6" longer fox 2.0s valved the same as those on the 09-14 raptor and replace the springs with an equivalent ratio as the ones on those year raptors. (IE: if those raptors run 450lb springs maybe I would run 415lb springs.) These springs will not lift the front of the truck the necessary 4" up front because of the lighter springs so the 2" longer length than the standard 4" is necessary to achieve the desired 4" lift up front. During downtravel my front suspension would only travel as far as factory suspension with a 2" spacer and while there would be more uptravel than stock, the lift kit would give more room between the tires and fenders to prevent rubbing. I might have to look into a front raptor swaybar or the hellwig front swaybar to help keep the truck stiff in turns.

Thoughts? I know I can get a midtravel kit for the same cost that would but much better but I want to run factory width and would like to maintain stock CV angles. Baja kits mid travel kit looks like it has pretty harsh CV angles, plus it is much wider than stock.
I might have figured out this whole raptor ride thing-photo128.jpg

I wouldn't drop more than 10lbs less per corner than the 5.4 SCAB rate.

I think you'll be limited to whatever length spring is normally run with a 4" lift - I don't know if it's a stock length coilover with some sort of spacer or what but I know the travel won't increase.
The following 2 users liked this post by WarSurfer:
baxzilla (04-16-2017), tomjv (04-17-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by AricsFX
Sounds like a giant waste. Just get some fox or king 2.5s with the adjustable compression rate, and some good upper control arms. My king 2.5s and RPG uppers had a great ride. Just get a good midtravel kit without spindles and call it a day... get some deaver leaf springs, and some 2.5s in the rear and you'll be good.

Don't go for 2.0s. Doesn't ride any better than stock shocks.
I haven't seen a mid travel thats factory width. (my understanding with a midtravel kit you replace bot the UCAs and the LCAs) You know where I could get one?
Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I would skip the LCAs unless you're desert bombing. UCA is necessary though.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AricsFX
I would skip the LCAs unless you're desert bombing. UCA is necessary though.
yeah not offroading at all. Just trying to maintain a level stance with at least 2" lift up front and have plush suspension.