Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I get a rumble through the truck when I stop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Dignified Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation I get a rumble through the truck when I stop.

I'll Be taking my truck to the dealer ASAP about this but I wanted to get a Thread out there to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

I've just broken 3 months and 6k miles with my new truck and I've narrowed this rumble down to where I can replicate it.

When I come to a complete stop, about 1-2 seconds after I have stopped the truck rumbles at idle. It shakes the truck enough to feel it in the seats and floor.

Now here is the interesting facts

1) This is only noticeable when the truck is 7/8 to 3/4 full of fuel. Any other time it cannot be replicated.
2) Coming to a stop a little harder then normal seems to make the rumble more apparent.
3) The rumble does not have the same intensity every time, some times its faint some times its rough.
4) The idle doesn't change when this happens, I only say this because the feeling is similar to a misfire.
5) I can also replicate it while sitting in traffic by simply letting off the break and then stopping again without touching the gas. which leads me to believe RPMs or the downshifting of gears have nothing to do with it.

Its a 2016 5.0 with the 24Gal. fuel tank and 4WD w/locking Dif.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Sounds like the slip yoke bump. Apparently it's a Ford thing and does no damage. My truck does it too but at 9,000 miles the bump isn't as bad as new.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Fuel sloshing in the tank is the answer you seek
Old 07-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Dignified Member

I definitly don"t think its fuel sloshing around, the reason is that the rumble would be more random. The rumble has the same duration of time and feeling every time it happens, the only thing that changes is the intensity at which I feel it. The Slip Yoke issue does sound like it could be the issue but I feel that would happen all the time, unless the weight of the fuel has something to do with the angle the driveshaft is at.
I really dont think its just the gas though, I can creep forward at a stop light a foot or so and hit the brake and it will rumble though my seat.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the driveshaft is still spinning and when it stops you can feel it. If it's not the driveshaft, it's something else that spins I don't know for sure. Doesn't matter because it's working properly.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Dignified Member

UPDATE
So the truck went in last week for its scheduled maintenance. I went over the vibration issue and took one of the service guys out on a drive to show them the issue. Left the truck there the day and they called me back and said they haven't figured it out but it wasn't deemed a safety issue so I could have my truck back until Ford comes back with the next step on what they want to do. The dealer put over 40 miles on the truck with 4 different A-Techs. They greased the slip joint but 600 miles later (yes I drive that much)and it's still doing it. I happen to have a dash cam installed in my truck and from the responses from the Techs I can assure you they don't know what it is. So for now they are keeping the issue open. I'll update again, hopefully soon when I hear something from Ford.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Try putting it in neutral while you coast to a stop, see if it makes a difference.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:11 PM
Dignified Member

Originally Posted by doctorschlachter
Try putting it in neutral while you coast to a stop, see if it makes a difference.
I didn't but the Dealer did. It still does it. Are you thinking the torque converter?
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DignifiedDevin
I didn't but the Dealer did. It still does it. Are you thinking the torque converter?
Yes, as I had this same problem with my previous truck.

I actually made a magnetic gopro mount and put it under my truck to capture where the shudder was coming from.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Dignified Member

That's a good idea, I do have a GoPro.

Quick Reply: I get a rumble through the truck when I stop.