Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Husky wheel well liners

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 441 Likes on 329 Posts

Default Husky wheel well liners

I have been trying to read as many threads as I could on wheel well liners. Don't really like the OEM ones since you have to add metal clips and they don't cover the ugly frame holes. The Husky still uses actual Ford clips and covers the frame. The rough country actually doesn't require any extra metal clips to be added which is great but they don't cover the frame so I decided on the Husky.

Now here is my problem. There is absolutely now way on God's green earth that I can install these without doing some trimming. The instructions state to make sure the liner is behind the actual metal fender lip not the plastic flare. On both front and rear at the bottom they will NOT fit behind the metal lip. So what did you trim or did you let them rest on the plastic?

I know I cannot be the only one who has had an issue with these. I already know many have said their holes didn't line up. I can get my holes to line up so we don't need to talk about that issue.

$100 for 2 freaking pieces of plastic they should darn well fit with no issues.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toledoUPSguy
I have been trying to read as many threads as I could on wheel well liners. Don't really like the OEM ones since you have to add metal clips and they don't cover the ugly frame holes. The Husky still uses actual Ford clips and covers the frame. The rough country actually doesn't require any extra metal clips to be added which is great but they don't cover the frame so I decided on the Husky.

Now here is my problem. There is absolutely now way on God's green earth that I can install these without doing some trimming. The instructions state to make sure the liner is behind the actual metal fender lip not the plastic flare. On both front and rear at the bottom they will NOT fit behind the metal lip. So what did you trim or did you let them rest on the plastic?

I know I cannot be the only one who has had an issue with these. I already know many have said their holes didn't line up. I can get my holes to line up so we don't need to talk about that issue.

$100 for 2 freaking pieces of plastic they should darn well fit with no issues.
https://youtu.be/RGRA2NU9ulo hopefully this might help you. I also am getting the husky liners and I have seen multiple videos and they all seem to fit extremely tight. Would like to hear an update as to any trimming you need to do. But like you said 100 bucks for some plastic you would think it should fit with no issues.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Installed them 2 years ago, tight fit but didn't trim. I just left the one screw and clip off that didn't line up, no issues and they look awesome.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Infidex
Installed them 2 years ago, tight fit but didn't trim. I just left the one screw and clip off that didn't line up, no issues and they look awesome.
Have they been durable? I have to travel 2 miles of gravel roads to get to my house, and was wondering if they would hold up.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 441 Likes on 329 Posts

A follow-up question to anybody who responds. Do you have the factory flares or not. My lariat does.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I installed mine I thought there was no way they were going to fit and all the holes would line up. I almost gave up but kept wrestling with them and eventually got them to pop in. The holes didn't line up at first but were close enough that I could get the screws in at an extreme angle and then as I tightened them it lined everything up. Maybe your set really is that far off, but I felt the same way as you at first and just kept yanking on them until they worked.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 PM
gbk

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I've had mine for a year now and they're fine.

As for the installation... Absolutely no trimming is needed, none whatsoever!

Everyone who complains about fit or about holes not lining up is simply not installing them correctly.

I had the same issue when I first purchased mine, I thought they didn't fit and that I needed to trim or even make new holes for the screw, that was absolutely wrong.

It takes a little work but the holes do like up just fine and as for the fitment, sometimes you just need a little brute force to get them in place.

After talking them off a few times over the past year I can now install these things in about 3 minutes each. It's incredibly simple once you know how to properly install them.

The last time I took them off was to install the bed retractable side steps, and the liners were in the way. I'm thinking about switching to OEM liners with less coverage for that very reason.

No flares
Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 PM
gbk

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktrich01
When I installed mine I thought there was no way they were going to fit and all the holes would line up. I almost gave up but kept wrestling with them and eventually got them to pop in. The holes didn't line up at first but were close enough that I could get the screws in at an extreme angle and then as I tightened them it lined everything up. Maybe your set really is that far off, but I felt the same way as you at first and just kept yanking on them until they worked.
Instead of putting the screw at an angle you can just install one screw and then shift the liner slightly until it lines up.

Another tip is to remove the liner completely and simply move whichever clip is not lining up, you can usually move the clips enough to make the holes line up.

Most of the time if the holes don't line up it'll be due to the clip not being in the correct position over the hole or the liner itself is not properly positioned.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toledoUPSguy
A follow-up question to anybody who responds. Do you have the factory flares or not. My lariat does.
Yes
Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine in 15 minutes yesterday. No fitment issues whatsoever.

After

Before
The following users liked this post:
ScrappyF150 (02-01-2017)