Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Humming Noise Vibration - Need Your Help in Diagnosing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Humming Noise Vibration - Need Your Help in Diagnosing!

Hi all - I've got a 2016 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7L EcoBoost with 87,000 miles and am experiencing an issue where I feel a very light humming noise/vibration when I cruise around at low speed. It's gotten a little more prevalent since the temperatures have gone down a little bit.

Situations where this occurs:
  • Times when this occurs It used to be only when I started driving in the morning, but now it's happening almost all the time. The kicker is that it doesn't happen all the time. It can go a couple miles without doing it, and then start doing it.
  • Speeds when this occurs: It'll happen when I accelerate, when I coast and when I brake. I can feel/hear it up to 45mph. It seems to go away after that.
  • RPMs when this occurs: I drive lightly. It seems to happen between 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm
What's it sound/feel like? It is a very light hum as I'm driving, and I can barely feel it in my seat, but can feel it better through the steering wheel. I'd gladly take a video of it, but I can't get the noise to be loud enough to get picked up on camera.

My first thought was IWE actuators, hubs, or bearings. But, it's not a grinding (gear to gear) noise, and it doesn't get worse as I drive faster. I replaced my IWE solenoid and check valve as a precaution. Neither did anything. I had my local mechanic look at it, and he said he thinks it's a heat shield that is causing it. I'm having him do my transmission service in the next couple weeks, and he'll check over everything then, but if you all have any suggestions, they'd be welcome!

Last edited by prorider17; 11-01-2018 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added mileage
Old 11-01-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 1,039 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by prorider17
Hi all - I've got a 2016 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the 2.7L EcoBoost with 87,000 miles and am experiencing an issue where I feel a very light humming noise/vibration when I cruise around at low speed. It's gotten a little more prevalent since the temperatures have gone down a little bit.

Situations where this occurs:
  • Times when this occurs It used to be only when I started driving in the morning, but now it's happening almost all the time. The kicker is that it doesn't happen all the time. It can go a couple miles without doing it, and then start doing it.
  • Speeds when this occurs: It'll happen when I accelerate, when I coast and when I brake. I can feel/hear it up to 45mph. It seems to go away after that.
  • RPMs when this occurs: I drive lightly. It seems to happen between 1,000 rpm to 2,000 rpm
What's it sound/feel like? It is a very light hum as I'm driving, and I can barely feel it in my seat, but can feel it better through the steering wheel. I'd gladly take a video of it, but I can't get the noise to be loud enough to get picked up on camera.

My first thought was IWE actuators, hubs, or bearings. But, it's not a grinding (gear to gear) noise, and it doesn't get worse as I drive faster. I replaced my IWE solenoid and check valve as a precaution. Neither did anything. I had my local mechanic look at it, and he said he thinks it's a heat shield that is causing it. I'm having him do my transmission service in the next couple weeks, and he'll check over everything then, but if you all have any suggestions, they'd be welcome!
Engage, 4H to see if it goes away just to rule out the IWEs themselves since you already replaced the check valve and solenoid.

Maybe a wheel bearing?

Power steering?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 AM

I'll give the 4wd hi a try. I thought wheel bearing, but it happens sporadically. I also thought steering, but I don't know what would cause that type of noise considering my steering is electric. I watched a video of a faulty steering system, and I don't have those symptoms.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Engine mount?
Old 11-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 1,039 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by prorider17
I'll give the 4wd hi a try. I thought wheel bearing, but it happens sporadically. I also thought steering, but I don't know what would cause that type of noise considering my steering is electric. I watched a video of a faulty steering system, and I don't have those symptoms.
I did have a Focus that had a wheel bearing that was bad. Took me a year to figure it out because it would come and go. Even the same stretch of road and speed I couldn’t get it to repeat on demand. One time it would do it and the next it wouldn’t. It wasn’t until it was constant and sounded like I was dragging a card board box that I could figure out which wheel.

Not saying it’s a bearing as I’m sure the bearings in the F150 are different but, I have seen different behaviors on bearing failure than in the past.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Try 4H to see if the problems changes or goes away.If it does it is the 4x4 system.
Also look at your tires. My truck did this EXACT same thing and it turned out the tires we cupped.
New tires, no more problems.
If you suspect a wheel bearing, go for a long drive then touch each hub. If a bearing is failing that hub will be warmer than the rest.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I put it in 4hi on my way to work this morning and nothing changed. My tires have 5,000 miles on them and they're in great condition. I think it 'could be' a wheel bearing, but I'm not sure if there's a why to be 100% sure since it doesn't make the noise on the interstate?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

if you swerve left or right does the noise change?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:58 PM

Not really. I feel like it is most prevalent when I apply my brakes or start slowing down. It happens in other situations too, but it really shows itself when braking.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Saved by Grace

Received 262 Likes on 68 Posts

I have this EXACT problem. Have had it for over a year. Even took the Service Writer at the local dealership for a ride and he heard the noise, but the next day they couldn't duplicate the issue or find the problem. I have new tires with ~400 miles on them. 4x4 engaged and the problem is still there. After 1 year, the problem is worse than ever.
With 2000 miles left on the power train warranty, will this repair be covered?

Quick Reply: Humming Noise Vibration - Need Your Help in Diagnosing!